You cheap lousy faggot

Goodness knows what the Beeb would do about a programme about Fanny Cradock and her tasty cheap faggots … makes a great meat and two veg dish.

6 Likes

Meat & Two Veg !!! have a care that man, you’ll have us all on the naughty step.

3 Likes

There was a young fellow named Reg
Who spied on a girl from a hedge
Along came his wife
With a big carving knife
And cut off his meat and two veg!

5 Likes

Ooohhhhh matron…

2 Likes

Boom boom…

1 Like

Need a Sid James, I mean TheKevster. dirty old man laugh …

3 Likes

You Mean Mrs Craddock and her tasty Pork Recipe !!!

1 Like

The Beeb wasn’t so worried about standards etc whilst they employed a certain nonce from Leeds for decades.

Jeremy Paxman?

2 Likes

The Beeb seem to have done The Pogues a big favour, its top of the pops again, more than double the airtime (& them some) than if they did nothing.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :rofl: :rofl:

The Pogues seem to be OK with the policy, Laurence Fox (according to wiki an actor who now heads a right wing party he founded) tweeted an attack on the Beeb based on the story, and the Pogues response on Twitter was to tell him to F*ck off (followed by a couple of uncomplimentary descriptions of him).
I won’t share the tweet here to save Richard some work.

4 Likes

Christmas Muzak is definitely on the Muzak I seriously detest list.

Going to Tesco will become an ordeal soon as all the false bonhomie is thrust down our throats like birds being fattened for Pate De Foi Gras

Humbug I say , humbug

My tupporth …

I’ve never liked this song or anything else The Pogues have made for that matter. The only good thing about it is Kirsty’s contribution.
However, I hate all this PC correctness and attempted rewriting of history. I will still not listen to it even with the ‘improvements’.
If you like the song, fine by me.

3 Likes

I can’t help sniggering when I listen to this.

We’re gonna break out the hats and hooters
When josie comes home :innocent:

1 Like

I would say to take it in context or switch it off but I don’t agree with censorship. The lyrics are nothing compared to what you can find on TV/Streaming/Cinema any night of the week. It’s a balad representing a dialogue between down and out characters, at a point in time when they would have spoken like that to each other. Love it or hate it, its one of the most popular xmas songs ever and yet another round of controversy will no doubt ensure that continues…

2 Likes

Lucky BBC Radio 3 listeners will be very happy not to endure the crass Crimbo soundtrack, although there will be lots of fagott performers they won’t be cheap or lousy.

4 Likes

Must say that one of the benefits of wfh this year is being able to listen to R3 and the lunchtime concerts in particular, signifying my halfway break :grinning:

1 Like

The policy is utterly bizarre. It’s either deemed offensive or it isn’t.

I’ve never understood why it’s a popular ‘Christmas Song’ to be honest. Then again most ‘Christmas Songs’ pop/rock songs rolled out year after year simply pander to the secular side of Christmas and increasing consumerism. Was it designed as a ‘counterpoint’ to that? I enjoyed it years ago as a bit of a folky ditty, but never really took much notice of the lyrics until recent years.

Perhaps more concerning to me is the sheer number of songs and albums these days which by default come in Explicit versions - I doubt many of these are played as original versions on BBC radio.

1 Like
  1. We don’t get to decide what is offensive to others, just as they don’t get to decide what is offensive to us
  2. If someone asserts that a word, and perhaps more importantly, the historical and implicit ideas behind that word is offensive to them, we should believe what they say
  3. Choosing to not use the word, and expecting others to not use the word, is hardly an assault on our liberties. We should just find another word. It’s not hard
  4. Unless we want the liberty to deliberately use the word in the manner that others find offensive. But then we’re just being a$$h01e$.
2 Likes