You have to ask yourself!

I’m down in my brothers holiday home in the west and he has a modest system consisting of an inexpensive Rotel RA10, Kef Q22’s which are almost 20 years old and a fairly boggo Teac cdp, for the past few hours I’ve been listening to Tidal standard rez from my iPhone connected to the aux on the Rotel, it sounds genuinely just great and bar serious critical listening it’s hard to fault. For someone who’s pretty much committed to an SN3 and NDX2 it’s really quite depressing!

Sure isn’t everything better in the West of Ireland?

And would there be a sup or two involved also?

.sjb

5 Likes

Begob now you might be right!

2 Likes

Has he shown you the Spider Baby yet?

2 Likes

A place of ancestry I have yet to visit…

Back to the OP: good music doesn’t need to be played through the best system to sound good, just as long as not strangled. And convivial company, and, erm, atmosphere, of course are always good for music appreciation. That in no way makes one’s possibly better system overblown or redundant, with listening, possibly by oneself, at home a quite different demand on presentation. Nothing negative and nothing to regret or question.

1 Like

What’s keeping you?

.sjb

Still not the likes of micro system, speakers will be well run in and it’s the only system you can hear at the moment. RA10 is not SN, but it often gets positive reviews.

I frequently play Spotify via Logitech 2.1 speaker/sub system using their Bluetooth device when I am fly tying, amazing speaker system for NZD200.

Recently when demoing gear, I wanted to hear CXA60…for my ears it was just ok…then the dealer connected a Brio…wow amazing little amp, then Uniti Star and soon after I owned an Atom. A lot of gear sounds great! But then when you compare the likes of Naim (if you like the Naim sound) beside other gear, you get that silly grin from ear to ear, your fingers and feet start tapping and and you start justifying why stretching your budget will be ok…it’s only money in the end.

Being on holidays also probably helps :grinning:.

2 Likes

I heard a new Luxman tube-integrated (LX-380, I think) playing ND5XS2 into Audio Physic 12s today. Amazing. Beautiful. Compelling. Many good alternatives out there.

Staying with Naim, myself; despite other pastures I admire.

Nick

After a look in daylight they’re actually Kef Q55.2’s not 22’s! Anyway I can’t help thinking that if you spent a bit of time searching out speakers you really liked as I suspect they’ll have the biggest influence and then buy a good little integrated for under a grand and add a Bluesound Node 2 you’d have a cracking streaming system for ‘everyday’ listening and not too much cash. Listening to the system here again this morning with a ‘fresh head’ it really is rather good, I swopped in my iPad Pro instead of my iPhone and it’s better again.

1 Like

Doing the further destinations while still earning and fit enough.

You may be one person who can understand why I keep coming back to my 1995-ish KEF Q50s. Beyond modest, remarkably capable speakers.

Nick

3 Likes

Yep there’s something about them alright, beautiful presence in the mids, vocals are lovely

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.