Your 10 Favourite '70's Live Double Albums

The doors, absolutly live,
The who, live at leeds,
Led zeppelin, how the west was won,
Woodstock

Joni Mitchell- Shadows and Light

• another favourite of mine.
2 Likes

Slade at the BBC - though it is OOP and only ever released on CD I think.

Slade Alive too, but that was only a single LP.

Santana - Lotus, but that is a triple.

1 Like

I’m going to cheat. With the delights of NAS storage and streaming you can make up “Pink Floyd Live at Empire Pool 1974” from the additional disks in the DSOTM and WYWH Immersion edition boxes, along with Echoes from the Early Years Box Set, this makes the set list:
Dark Side of the Moon in full
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Raving And Drooling
You Gotta Be Crazy
Echoes

In addition:
Frampton Comes Alive
Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous
Deep Purple - Made In Japan
and perhaps:
Led Zeppelin - Song Remains The Same (latest remaster)
Wings Over America

Beyond that, really not a fan of live albums, 70s or otherwise

2 Likes

Just qualifies I guess as it was released in 1980 but of a 1979 gig!
I agree though, it is a great album.

UFO - Strangers in the Night
Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool
The Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East

My fave Twofers from the 70s:

1 Like

Loved that Aswad LP and was lucky enough to see both them and Misty in Roots in either 84 or 85 as a 14 or 15 year old it beat the hell out of Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet and all that rubbish I was supposed to like.
Back on the thread though I would say that Quadrophenia takes a lot of beating as does Stevie Wonder Sonngs in the Key of Life…

The Who - Live at Leeds wasn’t a double album but this thread aside it was the best live LP of the 70’s double or not by a clear margin IMO.

I own all these on vinyl but I can’t find Europe 72.

Miles of Aisles is a goody :+1:

3 Likes

One more which is truly outstanding on vinyl if you can find it. Sounds hokey I know but the performance and sound are both 9-10. Clean, pristine, and beautiful. With the Herbie’s Feet in my room, I can turn the 552-500 all the way up to 12:00 and it sounds like you are there.

3 Likes

Grateful Dead Europe 72 is certainly all very well, but Grateful Dead aka Skull F**k should not be overlooked!

1 Like

Not a double but from the 70’s…

Bowie - David Live

Thin Lizzy:Live and Dangerous

10? I don’t have that many! Though maybe just about if I include all live albums, single and triple as well as double albums. In general I wasn’t enamoured by the sound of live recordings in the 70s, often poor quality, so I usually preferred the studio recordings and didn’t bother getting the live albums.

One I had at the that was better than many, and since improved when the high res digital version was released which is what I have now, though in that format “double” is no longer meaningful, is Deep Purple’s Made in Japan..

A notable one for interest value more than anything was Greasy Truckers’ Party from a mini-festival at London’s Roundhouse at the time of power cuts due to the miners’ strikes.

Someone mentioned Woodstock, which is another I have, is notable for interest value though with some things of particular note - however it is a triple not double. Yessongs (Yes) also mentioned by someone is also a triple, overall not bad.

The Who’s Live at Leeds has been mentioned, though it’s a single not double album: pretty good at giving a hint of the live performane.

And a vote for the worst live album ever (not double): King Crimson’s Earthbound. Bought unheard on the strength of their first 4 albums I was horrified when I played it. It sounded as if it had been recorded on a pocket voice dictation recorder (narrow frequency band) hidden inside someone’s pocket standing so close to the speakers that it overloaded. There was only one just about tolerable track, 21st Century Schizoid Man, where the distortion fitted the song.

Probably not the sort of thing you had in mind but this would be top of my list. Partly because it was one of the best live concerts ever and partly because I was there.

2 Likes

Hmm… sticking to live records that were recorded, issued and which I bought in the 70s, these come to mind right now:

Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East (I still think one of the best live records of all time)
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 74
Ten Years After - Recorded Live
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
Brecker Bros - Heavy Metal Bebop
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same (could have done with some editing in parts, but there’s brilliant stuff on it)
Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere (I could have added many Zappa albums, but this one’s my fave)
Eric Clapton - EC Was Here.

2 Likes

My list with the glaringly obvious point that not all are doubles

Humble Pie - Rockin’ the Fillmore
Barclay James Harvest - Live
Who - Live at Leeds
Dr Feelgood - Stupidity
Eric Clapton - Rainbow concert
Wishbone Ash - Live Dates
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Genesis - Live
Frampton Comes Alive