Your best instrumental blues tracks

I have some instrumental blues tracks that I love, but not enough. I am searching to discover more.
My best till now: Stevie Ray Vaughan : Lenny. Chitlins con carne. Riveira paradise.

Yesterday I discovered that album, fabulous.

1 Like

Maybe @suzywong , Jimdog, Gramaeh….?

Try Peter Green in John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers. Listen to the instrumental tracks, The Stumble (Freddie King composition) and especially the marvellous Greeny.

4 Likes

Had a quick listen. Greeny is not bad. Even very good.
There are also the blues tracks by Jimi Hendrix ( the blues compiled album). But the sound is average.

1 Like

I can definitely recommend going through Normans rare Guitar of the day one the YouTube.

Young chap has phenomenal abilities with the blues…

1 Like

Little Walter - the best of.

Not, strictly speaking 100% instrumental, but if it’s amplified harmonica you’re after, then Marion Walter Jacobs is your man.

2 Likes

Has he done some albums ? What is his entire name. Norman who?

All instrumental including both Hideaway and The Stumble which were covered by John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers.

2 Likes

For me The Supernatural is the best PG instrumental with John Mayall and it’s also on A Hard Road.

Try Paul Butterfield, East West and Work Song. Mike Bloomfield is one of the best blues guitarists.

Chitlin Con Carne is also on the Junior Wells/Buddy Guy album Hoodoo Man Blues - probably where SRV got it from.

3 Likes

And Eric Clapton recorded instrumentals with John Mayall, including another Freddie King track, Hideaway, and Stepping Out (which he also recorded with Cream).

Earl Hooker recorded blues instrumentals, like Wah Wah Blues and Earl Hooker Blues (with others on the Two Bugs and a Roach album).

1 Like

I had one of Mike. Season of the witch is fabulous.

3 Likes

I know Freddie King and of course Clapton, John Mayall….Have heard a lot of them. But I am more searching for outstanding solos guitars, with a blues spirit.
Like Lenny by SRV, Jeff Beck/ Pork Pie Hat….

Actually the guitar on Season of the Witch is Stephen Stills. Try His Holy Modal Majesty for Mike Bloomfield on Supersession. But you really must try Butterfield/Bloomfield on East West and John Mayall/Peter Green The Supernatural if you haven’t heard them.

2 Likes

I just remembered Blue Sky and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed by the Allman Brothers if you don’t know those.

1 Like

It’s not an instrumental but the guitar on Stephen stills live version of Black Queen is just sublime…

It’s a joke Tobyjug? I was serious, I can’t find Norman. What is the second name ?

Try to stream these tracks. You will more understand what I am searching for:

• Corey Christiansen, in the pines . ( Album : Lone prairie).
  • Bruno Lara , ao som de MaĂŻtĂ© ( album: Liberto).
  • Jeff Beck , Good bye pork pie hat ( album : wired).
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lenny.
1 Like

While not exactly a favourite (there are too many to even count), I still need to mention the power blues jam on the B-side of Brian May’s “Starfleet Project” EP. I think it’s called “Bluesbreaker”. It has Brian May and Eddie Van Halen on guitars, Phil Chen on bass, Alan Gratzer on drums and Fred Mandel on a rocking stride piano (and, I presume, all of them on incidental laughter and rattling of furniture at the end). Nothing complicated about it but it has that special kind of groove that you get when nothing is rehearsed.

1 Like

The French Chicken is of course right to mention JB but perhaps this.

1 Like