Your CD Player history

I am not sure if two players qualify as history…

I had a Rotel 951 for a few years and then switched to a 3.5 which has been in use during the last 23 years.

1 Like

Marantz CD63 - went to eBay (it was originally a leaving gift from work). Played through A60 amp and Heybrook HB2s
Linn Karik - went to eBay along the rest of my Linn system (Karik/Kairn/LK100x2/active Keildhs)
Downsized to original Naimuniti - Spendor A5 speakers later replaced by a 250 power amp and Ovator 400s.
Now I’ve got rid of all my CDs and stream with an NDS/555PS and Tidal HiFI or my NAS

1 Like
  • Sony Discman D-121 (as an actual source into my A60)
  • Arcam Alpha One
  • Arcam Alpha 6 plus
  • Linn Mimik II
  • Onkyo cheapo player for $200 (this was when I went broke)
  • Denon DBT 3313-UD
  • Luxman D-N150 (current)
1 Like

1992 - Denon at cost: £220 (impulse purchase, …soon to end up hating it)

1993 - naim audio CDi (new £1600 but i adored it, 6 months later traded up to…)

1994-1997 - naim audio CDS (the main front-end and heavenly, happy bunny times)

1997 - Micromega duo 3.1 (super-detailed and dynamic …but grew bored with it)

1999 - Yamaha CDX-10 (cute midi sized box, value for money at £110. Still own it!)

2005 - naim audio CDi (nice pre-owned musical one! …died of mech failure in 2010.)

2010 - NAD C 542 (affordable stand-in replacement for deceased CDi, oh dear…)

2011 - naim audio CD5x (very nice pre-owned example. Still own it)

2014 - naim audio CDS3 + 555PS (present day player - happy bunny listener :notes: )

8 Likes

I had a Sony CD player I bought for my wife, and a Marantz CD player. They were used in a system I had in the late 90s, but not since.

I never really bought into CDs. They just didn’t sound great to me. I always stuck with records. In the end I collected a couple/few hundred CDs over the last 30 years, and they are all ripped to a SSD on my Roon server. I have no CD player at all now but I do have an old Arcam DVD player I can use as a transport into my NDX2 if I need to for some reason.

I guess count me as one who really didn’t embrace CDs and never had a serious player. Now I have a NDX2/XPSDR/PL/HiLine. It really took hires streaming to get me into digital source, but I still listen to vinyl 80% or more on my system. I still have twice as much invested into my analog front end as I do for digital.

2 Likes

Denon DVD
Tandberg 4035 updated with new clock.
Naim CD 3.5
Naim CDX
Naim CDS2/XPS
Rega Jupiter

1 Like

Kenwood CD in the mid 80’s. A terrible player: it jumped with me when i danced in the room. Stolen by some idiots.

Harman Kardon HD200: broke after 8 years

a player from JVC

Naim CD5i from 2007: still in use.

1 Like

Only ever had one CD player.

A Micromega Stage 4 bought in 1996. Later added the matching DAC. Lovely combo.

Still have them boxed upstairs. Were in use until we went digital in late 2020.

Just two!

Marantz CD6000 OSE
Naim CD5

Here’s the CD5 8)

3 Likes

I dispensed with the cd5x after it chewed up a couple of valuable Mosaic box set cds. Something had became unglued in the cd tray.
No digital out.
I am building a new cd and headphone only system for my night time lair.

So introducing.

Marantz cd60.

6 Likes

From mid 90s to today:

Naim CDS
Naim CDS2
Naim CDS3
Naim CDP 555 dual supply 555PS
( you can call me a sheep :smirk: ) ATB Peter

8 Likes

I bought a Rotel in the 90s, an ex-demo item, can’t remember the model number, but I kept that for a few years. Then bought a secondhand Marantz CD10, this was a real bargain that was too good to miss. I still have this but rarely used it since I bought my Star and ripped all my CDs. TBH the CD10 is still in the box since my move in May last year.

1990s
Denon multi bit
Marantz bitstream
2000s
Audiolab 8000CD
2010s
Naim CD3.5/FC
Marantz 6005 (I think)
2020s
Gone streaming

HiFi players Pioneer,Technics which a daughter still has,Nakamichi which I still have. Various others as portable devices or pc, or combined in dvd players.

Not sure what my first player was but my second was a Caver that cost me over a $1k back in the early 80s. When it worked it was brilliant but it didn’t work that often after the second replace I gave up and got a NAD player which didn’t sound the same but it least it worked. Since then I’ve own 2 Naim players one olive (CDI) and the other a CD5i. Wished I’d kept the CD5i. I now have a Audiolab CDT6000.

1 Like

Only had one player
Linn Karik Numerik from 1992 to 2015, then went to streaming

My one and only CD Player is a Meridian 206B purchased in the early 1990s when I finally gave in to the inevitablity (at the time) of CD. It was in continual use with my CB 32.5/160 system until 2019 when that was retired and I moved to an updated Naim system and streaming. It still gets occasional use. There has been no display for the last 15 years or so but that was always pretty useless anyway.

2 Likes

With a front end of LP12 / Ittok / Troika, I didn’t immediately jump into CD replay, but eventually added a naim CDi, which sounded great.

Had the opportunity to move to a naim CDX, so that was next - and the CDi went to my best friend and music buddy. After a few years with him, it developed a fault but was repaired at HQ, and is still working fine. Note, my friend passed in 2015 and the CDi is now at his brother’s home, in his naim system.

Next change was to my current classic CDX2, which sounded fantastic straight out of the box, however quite a few years later the metal around the spindle began to deteriorate. The player was returned to naim, and due to the lack of original transports, a new type was put in, together with the appropriate board, effectively making it a 2.2 (I think?) but without any additional digital socket.

Finally, about 3 years ago, I added an XPSDR and a wonderful upgrade enhanced my CD collection listening pleasure.

3 Likes

Denon- first wave of CD players
Marantz CD 46
Naim 3.5 w flatcap
Naim CDX w XPS
CDS2 w XPS
CDS3 w XPS
CDS3 w CD555 PS
Cyrus CDI
Cyrus CDI XR
Rega Apollo
CEC CD5
CDS3 w 555 PS was the best by far but laser mech is acting up. CEC is close to CDX in performance and can be repaired. Rega Isis if I ever hit the Lotto!

1 Like

Rotel 955
Proton 421
Naim CD3
CDI
CD2
CDX
CDS
CDS 2
CDS 3
CD555
Naim CD 555 the best sounding but outperfomed
by ripped CD’s on USB stick into Naim NDS in my opinion.

2 Likes