Your CD Player history

I had my Arcam Alpha 7SE from new in the early 80’s and just sold it last year for parts when it wouldn’t power up. I occasionally use my Cambridge Audio CX UHD Bluray player to play a CD, but really moved to streaming 7 years ago with a (now gone) UnitiQute2. I’ve a Star in the games room, for spinning CDs as well, which is a nice alternative.

Just owned a few as I abandoned the format back in the 90s.

1. Sony Discman - does this count?

2. Some mid level full sized Sony CDP

3. Musical Fidelity CDT

4. California Audio Labs Delta and Alpha

5. Enlightened Audio Designs T1000 and DSP1000

Now, I’m hoping that Naim come up with a Transport which I can connect to my ND5XS2…… Am I dreaming?

Yes. Same here Discman D-121. Connected to my A60 amp.

That was the one on the want list back in the day but could never quite stretch to it, Meridian had some cracking products then.

Always feels a bit of a shame they just seemed to give up that part of the market.

1. Yamaha CD-X1
  2. Sony (possibly 620-ES)
  3. Arcam Alpha 5 (upgraded twice to 7)
  4. Meridian 508.24 (lovely machine)
  5. Naim CD5XS (even better)
  6. Marantz CD5004 (for the office)

I started with an Arcam Alpha (I think it is 8) which I still have in the bedroom.

This was replaced by a CDS3 subsequently swapped out for a CD555 which I still have.

I also have a little Onkyo mini with cd player in my kitchen which has had more use than any of the above!

Peter

1 Like

Just a few here in order of ownership

Mission PCM400,
now 38 years old plays really well no skipping a bit harsh but enjoyable
Arcam Cd72
Cyrus CD8SE
Naim CDX2
Naim CDS3
Cyrus CDI-XR current cd player throughly enjoyable. No intention of going streaming.

I started with a Philips 840 when bitstream was the latest technology in 1990. Then I bought an Arcam Alpha 5 in 1993 or so which is a great cd player and still works (digital output only and drawer cog wheel replaced) to this day. Then a long pause and I bought a Roksan K3 CD in 2018 which was a big upgrade.

Then irrational behaviour broke out.

I read a lot of blogs about how cd players will soon not be produced anymore and so I decided that I should buy a back up player for when the laser goes in the K3. So I bought a Marantz cd 6006 UK edition in 2019 as back up…….then there was a flash sale on a new Marantz cd 6007 for EUR 280 which was too good to resist. So with my K3 and 2 Marantz back ups I can honestly say I will not be buying anymore cd players. Not even a Naim cd player.

Playing the Roksan or either Marantz through the NDX 2 sounds pretty much identical. This shows the quality of the Marantz transport.

1 Like

I can participate in this since I didn’t get to own a lot of CD players (unlike the amp history thread).

1. Marantz CD63 KI Signature
  2. Sony CDP XA7ES
  3. Krell KPS-30i (only piece left, not played for more than 5 years)

Only 3.

Quantity doesn’t preclude entry! Some have long lists in there - but maybe you can go for the record?! However it would be interesting at the same time to know reasons for changes where not obvious upgrades.

1 Like

Started in '93 with a mid/low Rotel, changed pretty soon to Linn Mimik (pretty boring) which i eventually changed with Naim CD 3.5/HC in '99, then
CD5 in '05
'09 CD5i
'12 CDX2-2 + '13 555ps DR
'14 CD555 + '16 2nd 555ps DR
Beside these, pre owned CD5X, CDX2, CD5XS and finally a couple of CDX2-2 i still own

2 Likes

Linn Karik
Linn Magik CD
Naim CD5 Si

Never felt the need for a streaming solution to replace CD

6 Likes

Mission DAD 7000
ARCAM 170 transport plus Black Box DAC
Linn Ikemi
Naim CDX2
Still have the last 3 but only the Naim is in use.

Interesting thread!
ATB

1 Like

Only ever had 4 CDPs in 30 years - a Yamaha CDX810 which I bought as part of my 1st ever “grow-up” hifi system in the mid-80’s which was replaced by a Linn Karik in the 90’s. I loved the Karik but when the laser failed it had to be replaced by a CD5X because Linn couldn’t repair it and that began my Naim journey. Over the the next few years my previous “all Linn” system was gradually replaced by Naim alternatives, culminating in the CD5X making way for a CDX2 around 18 years ago which I still have and thoroughly enjoy today. It gives my LP12 a decent run for its money at less than a quarter of the price.

Mission PCM4000

Naim CDX

None: home office PC with decent sound card/speakers

Rega Saturn-R

I hardly ever use the Rega nowadays; my NDX2 has almost completely replaced it. I’m loath to get rid of it though.

2 Likes

I’ll try since I used to change amps like changing clothes back in the day about 20 years ago. Okay that’s a bit of an exaggeration. My memory isn’t as good as it used to be but I’ll try.

1 Like
  1. Denon DCD1500- lovely machine bought in 1986, great sound. had some disc issues later on. Put in loft-friends cd player failed recently- got out of loft and it still works-friend very pleased
  2. Naim CD3.5 + flat cap- great sound, after some time had issues with lots of discs- changed puck-no difference so sadly decided to change in 2019
  3. Denon DCD 2500 SACD/CD player- won hands down in listening tests against wide range of players, a very involving and revealing machine.

Stephen

1 Like

1986 Early Technics player
1993 Naim CDS 1
2001 Naim CDS 2
2003 Naim CDS 3
2006 Naim NA 555CD
From CD to ND555 Network player in 2018.

3 Likes

I had:
1.The first Meridian
2.Marantz 94
3.Naim cds
4.Naim cds3

Various sony , marantz boxes , which sounded ok but never really did it for me ,
Cd sound was somewhat underwhelming for me

Eventually purchased second hand from a freiend ,
Kenwood dpx 9010 transport ( incredible build quality)
Meridian 203 d/a converter , no digital harshness.
At the moment , naim uniti core , does that count :thinking: