Your Favourite Christmas Song

John Lennon, obviously, that will never be equalled by anything else for Christmas. Greg Lake’s single runs him close, though.

Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Santa Claus Is Coming To Town’ is also pretty fantastic - although I can’t remember if it’s on any of his albums.

Phil Spector was a gruesome human being, but his Christmas album is wonderful. I’ve had it on CD for years, but have recently bought the LP.

I also like some Christmas albums that I know that I shouldn’t - Wham! and Mariah Carey bouncing around in the snow spring to mind.

Kate Rusby has made at least one (maybe more) wonderful Christmas album(s) of traditional carols, although very difficult to find on LP.

And the lovely Ms Gwen Stefani has also got in on the act, looking very festive in her red Santa costume on the LP cover.

Those are just a few suggestions to make the day go with a bang.

1 Like

A timeless slice of Christmas exuberance… Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody.

A favourite… The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York.

A guilty pleasure… Jona Lewie - Stop The Cavalry.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Christmases don’t come more soulful than this one from Donny:

6 Likes

Took too long for someone to suggest this…so I’m doing it.

7 Likes

Almost forgot about this one. Thanks

1 Like

Totally unorthodox I know RUN DMC Christmas in Hollis, compliments Die Hard though as a Christmas Movie! Honestly have so many though!

2 Likes

Watching Die Hard for Christmas has become a Holiday tradition for us.

1 Like

Got to be:

You must know that it’s now mandatory to watch both ‘Snowman’ cartoons and ‘White Christmas’ - probably best done after you’ve been at the turkey.

And, of course, we shall all get to see our new King-In-Waiting (if we’re so inclined).

2 Likes

This Christmas Time by Tide Lines,
Wonderful Lyrics, written during Lockdown when folk couldn’t go home for Christmas.

Silent night, played very, very, silently

1 Like

I’m with @CalamityJack - has to be Mike Oldfield’s ‘In Dulci Jubilo’

4 Likes

I have always liked this one:

6 Likes

Yes, fabulous.

And the ‘Songs From The Wood’ album isn’t too shabby either.

2 Likes

Another favourite of mine is Paul Kelly’s How to Make the Gravy

1 Like

From 1981, on Les Disques du Crepuscule, “Praying For a Cheaper Christmas” by The Swinging Buildings:

Fairy Tale of New York.

Accept no substitutes. One of the greatest.

And for the “woke” among us, listen to the lyrics and UNDERSTAND them!

5 Likes

it’s the 21 of Decembers. And later in the evening, I can just imagine You’ll put on some Junior Murvin and push back the tables.

And there you go, woke. It’s great to put a label on those with different opinions that’s the Christmas spirit.