Your favourite musical decade and why…

1. 60’s , mostly late 60’s
  2. 70’s , mostly early 70’s
  3. 90’s , mostly early 90’s with Nirvana,etc coming onto the scene
  4. 80’s , underrated decade , may put ahead of 90’s eventually
  5. Anything 2000 and after . Mostly not up to the standards of the decades before it.
3 Likes

All of them.

2 Likes

1970’s, Why? Cos that’s when I bought all my Sabbath albums!

3 Likes

For jazz I’d say 1959-1969. I know that’s 11 years, but ‘59 spawned Ornette’s The Shape of Jazz to Come, Mingus’s Ah Um and Miles’s Kind of Blue. Brubeck’s Take Five was also from ‘59, of course. Then I need to be allowed to extend to ‘69 to encompass Bitches Brew. All the gems from the 1960s - Coltrane, Dolphy, Evans, Ellington etc.

2 Likes

Born in 1945 so a ten year old in the mid 50’s so I loved everything from there to the late 60’s pinnacle for me 66 / 67.

Regards,

Martin

80’s were my teenage years so this would be my period.

This was my dream bike. Unfortunately never had one😊

2 Likes

I would like to say the 70s. But most of the best stuff only really makes sense played loud on a Saturday night or gently on a Sunday morning.
Wasn’t until much later that something could make sense being played and appreciated on a cold damp Tuesday.
So for that reason I will go 89 to 99. :grinning:

Putting on another hat (my top hat), what about the 1930s? The peak of the Great American Songbook. Porter, Berlin, Rodgers, Hammerstein (not yet together), and Arlen were all active, as were the Gershwins (George died in ‘37), Jerome Kern (died in 1946) and Larry Hart (died in 1943). Not to mention Ellington, Armstrong and Goodman, among others.

Approximately 1700-1740 when Bach and Vivaldi were contemporaries. I suspect that people (if we still exist as a species) in 300 years will not be listening to much of any current popular music. The period from 1964-79 was a time when the balance of artist vs business was tipped in favour of the artists.

1 Like

That’s an 11 year decade.

Don’t be picky…
I “ needed “ to include two of my favorite álbuns. :joy::sweat_smile::wink:

Yes, I know that everyone seems to be influenced by their own youth, but I think with all honesty I could vouch for 1967-1975. A period with significant improvements to sound quality, but before over production, and other influences, ripped the heart out of popular music. With Sergeant Pepper, and Whiter shade of Pale from 67, through to Wish You Were Here, and Zuma from 75. The middle years offer Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Stones, Dylan, Yes, The Eagles, The Who, Joni Mitchell, John Martyn, Little Feat, Queen, Bowie,…, I doubt that you would find another decade with as much artistic integrity, and imagination nor one with so much creative diversity from mainstream artists.

1 Like

My favourite decade for music is 1969-1977. In 1969 I was 3 years old. So hardly influenced by my own youth . In my case at least.

2 Likes

In the 90’s, parents organising parties for their teenage offspring would often play the music of their own teens. In so doing perhaps passing on an influence. Then again that music stood out (me thinks) and perhaps very little persuasion was required.

My mother is listening only to classical. My dad was never listening to music.
I was 20 when I began to listen seriously to music. First was the Pink Floyd, the Doors, Dire Straits….
In 1985 the music was not interesting to me. Some friends made me discover some good music, mostly from the 70’s. I liked.
Then I discovered soul funk from the 70’s, like the Temptations, Edwin Starr, Aretha….It was a revelation for me.
Then followed jazz rock…… I was the only one among my friends to really start a passion for the jazz from the 70’s. It follows me since 30 years.

I am right with you on this one; totally my most significant time growing up and music that still immediately gets to the very heart of my being. From psychedelia to a very broad church as you have listed - there seemed to an explosion of interesting sounds & music.

I grew up listening to the Spinners (the Liverpool ones), Mike Harding, military music, Paddy Roberts, Rolf Harris and the Goons, until we were allowed to watch TOTP but it wasn’t until discovering prog in the late 70s that I connected with a genre of my own. These days I’ll listen to anything and any decade (any century in fact) as long as it’s a good tune and count myself blessed that streaming makes it so accessible, and naim systems make it so listenable.

1 Like

The ten years around 1973, because of The Dark Side of the Moon.

Or 1980-1990, because I was 15-25 years old.

Or, hopefully, the next 10 years from today.

1 Like

I had a yellow Chopper - brilliant bike.

1 Like