Your Loudspeaker history

Those 5000 loudspeakers were absolute beasts. I always lusted after them as a callow teenager, but never saw nor heard a pair.

Didn’t they purport to incorporate some bullshit technology - said to improve bass performance - called something like ‘Bucket Brigade Device’? (Which never conveyed any sort of sense to me.)

I recall that as a technology used for delay lines (reverb units to add reverb to musical instruments, of course, recorded music)

Thank you so much, IB… As I’ve written elsewhere, I haven’t listened to the system since I got home a few days ago, but I hope to change that tomorrow.

Yes I think I remember reading about their bucket brigade tech. I do remember they promoted this new speaker line as having a phased linear design to better time align the drivers…don’t know if it worked but as a teenager I thought they looked cool.
It’s funny how companies are now bringing back retro looking design aka Yamaha, NAD, JBL even Technics others have just evolved from their original designs without straying too far…and still sound great.

Maybe a good idea for Naim as well…

Perhaps, but you’d never know it from this thread.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some, and there may even be another pair of Kans somewhere in here…

Celestion DL4, when my separates journey began around 1988
Linn Kan
Acoustic Energy AE109
Dynaudio Contour 1.8
ATC SCM11
Linn Kan
Naim SBL mk1 (passive, then active)
Linn Kan
ATC SCM50ASL
Linn Kan
Naim SBL mk2
ATC SCM7
Linn Kan

3 Likes

Amstrad (some tower system)
Epos ES11s
Zu Soul Superfly

1 Like

What great news Graham, I’m so pleased for you.

Thank you very much, Eoin. As you might imagine, I’m pretty pleased to be back home.

5 Likes

DIY - Richard Allan kit
DIY - Hi Fi magazine design
Diesis Solitaire
Proac Tablette 2000
Kudos C2
Spendor D7.2

1 Like

Is that back to the same pair of Kans each tine, or buying them again? And what is it about the Kans that kept attracting you - but not retaining you?

Different each time, I realised where the missing pair were in the list just now too…

Every time I upgrade I promise myself I won’t sell them because I’ll go back to them again in the future or they’ll come in handy for a second system somewhere in the house but each time I do, then regret it

This time around I’ve gone back to basics, albeit with a great source in the CDS2, and they came up trumps again

Well this is good news.

It seems to me that you just haven’t yet found the speaker that is right for you, despite the wide range of levels and models of speaker you’ve had. I was going to suggest that maybe what is needed is a full analysis of everything you’ve liked and disliked about every speaker, and from that draw up a more considered and extensive auditioning list…. But given your speaker history it might just be that you can never settle, and need two pairs of speakers to satisfy you, Kans and ???, and switch between them depending on your mood or on the music…

1 Like

Given speaker/room interactions I think you could put it down to pretty much anything. Source, room, speaker, mindset etc.

Some people just like the journey as much as the destination.

1 Like

I think I can see a strange attractor in your speaker history.

AR2ax
DCM Time Windows
Celestion SL6s
Linn Majik 140

2 Likes

1980 3A Alto -Sansui A80
1985 Rogers LS35A - 42-110
1987 Linn Kan "
1991 Linn Kan2 -42-140
2010 nSat Nait XS
2014 SL2 282-250
2016 S600 552 -500 + S400 - nSat on secondary systems
Regards
Roberto

Comet bookshelf speakers
Rogers LS4a (mother-in-law still has them)
B&W 602S3
Wilson Benesch Square Ones
Wilson Benesch Arcs