Your System Niggles - Problem Page

Sat listening this afternoon and (apologies if this sounds a bit smug) everything sounds just right. Quite magical in fact.

This isn’t always the case though, and the forum is a great resource for helping us sort one another’s niggles out; too bright, too bloated, unfocussed, and so on.

Maybe trying to have a focussed thread might work as a ‘Go to’ resource for those looking for help/advice?

Post your niggles here and folks might help?

G

Never enough time to sit and listen. :thinking:

4 Likes

I know the feeling well, and if you feel like that then the best thing to do is get off hifi forums and go play music.
As forums like this always make you think whats next.
Also keep away from audio store’s as you will always feel like you are missing out if you go listening to better gear.

4 Likes

The thrill of watching other people chasing while listening to great music never stopped anyone :joy:

2 Likes

The thing to do to fix that niggle is go and listen to inferior gear - then you come home and yours sounds wonderful!

2 Likes

Our niggle is our second system is too far away from SQ in lounge now :frowning_face:

Aligns with above, where you do realise what you’ve got when you listen to something very inferior.

1 Like

My nds locks up on a regular basis but other than that…all good this end

1 Like

Only problems I’m having is time, like all (or most) of us there’s lots of others things that require your attention. Makes the time I do spend sitting down listen more important and ultimately more enjoyable.

4 Likes

Solution: only one system in the house! :rofl: (And selling the second would give funds to further upgrade first, or for something else.) Unless you mean in another place you live, when sadly for your wallet your solution is upgrading…

1 Like

I found retirement didn’t solve the listening time problem - or hasn’t yet, as a son bought a house needing serious refurbishment, and the planned campervan touring started to happen - less listening time than ever before!

2 Likes

I thought it would too but like you it’s proving not to be the case. It’s not helped that we’re planning to build that alone is taking more time than I planned.

2 Likes

Differential volume preference between my wife and myself!

4 Likes

That’s a life long struggle and one that’s hard to win. :grin:

2 Likes

Definitely…and, it’s even manifest when she is in a different room.

1 Like

I’m lucky Mrs Pete goes away one weekend a month and she’s gone back to work 3 days a week.

4 Likes

There will always be two systems in the house! I listen to a lot of internet radio and local NAS content whilst working (between meetings). Never been one to sit in a silent room.

We’re pretty much done with upgrading the lounge system, bar two interconnects and maybe a punt on replacing nDAC with NDS.

Office system is SuperUniti into Monitor Audio Monitor floorstanders (late 90s vintage). When we had 272/250DR the gap wasn’t big enough to bother me, but now I find the office system sadly lacking in detail.

When we got nDAC we tried it into SU and it was a big uplift. Another nDAC or ND5XS2 might help, or maybe a Nova.

First world problems.

2 Likes

Room acoustics are not good.

1 Like

Get a separate listening room separated with a layer of insulation, concrete, screed, floor tiles and that should do the the trick. With the stereo downstairs playing Bach organ music at 12 o clock, and standing upstairs with the wife, asking is that ok? If she replies I can’t hear anything then you know all is well :joy:

1 Like

Buy her a nice present of industrial ear defenders!

We manage with different rooms, but I save the loudest playing for when my wife is out.

2 Likes

That’s the only other solution of course :joy:

1 Like