Your Telly

Would you recommend your TV?

I’m looking to spend 3k-4k and would like to hear what’s the best options.

Assuming you are UK based, I don’t think you need to go to this price level for a TV.
I waited until OLED panels were a more reasonable price and bought a LG 65C back in late 2018 for just over £2k. I paried it with 4k Apple TV but find myself using iPlayer for BBC UHD programming, of which there is a surprisingy amount.

My viewing room didn’t need a super bright screen and obviously I don’t use the set’s speakers at all. I was persuaded to go to 65 inch, rather than 55, by my wife and I have to say never regretted it for a moment.

I haven’t looked at current prices but I’ve never felt the need for a different screen.

Go for SONY, every time.

Their Trinitron screens are streets ahead of the completion. Made in Slough, on the industrial estate which also houses Mars Confectionery, I believe.

3 Likes

I have Sony for the past three telly’s
Trinitron only applies to CRT screens and we’re discontinued mid 2005/6
Still the best telly though LED 4K here. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Maybe you need to indicate the size (size range) in which you are interested? Once upon a time telly meant maybe 20-26”. Before that 14-20”. Now 32-84”…. Quite a range today.

Your watching distance could also be relevant, in particular whether 4K or HD worthwhile…

Memories. I used to work in Slough. There is indeed the Mars factory and on the other side of the M4 a huge sh*t farm … sorry sewage farm.

Depending on the wind it either smelt of sickly chocolate or sickly … I’ll leave you to figure it out.

Enjoy your weekend folks. :smile:

1 Like

But about TVs…

The latest tech is QD-OLED. I think Sony and Samsung do panels with this tech. Apparently very good quality and should be in that price range.

Would recommend you check the software usability and functionality. Modern TVs are essentially computers, so the software aspect will likely play an important role depending on how you plan to use the TV. Presume you aren’t planning on using the speakers in the TV, otherwise that’s another consideration. When I bought a new TV a couple of years ago the Sony and LG OLEDs seemed to be the best options - I went for an LG.

I used to live very near the infamous Slough sewage works , very little smell pollution . On the other hand come down the M4 , it was ghastly.

Had to leave after two burglaries .

Amazed to hear that Sony are manufacturing there. I’ve a 24 inch full HD and it is at least ten years old.

2 Likes

There was a poem written about Slough - WH Auden? Went something like this: Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough, it is not fit for humans now.. I went to college there, and it didn’t seem that bad, however I didn’t live there.

2 Likes

I’ve never done anything else than use TV’s speakers for TV. All downhill after my last CRT TV (a Panasonic). Flat screens don’t leave much space for speaker boxes, limiting bass, while slim surrounds don’t allow for direct radiation, limiting treble. I keep thinking I should get a sound bar or similar, but never get around to it……

1 Like

Computer Associates

1 Like

It was John Betjeman – in the poem “Slough” (1937). It was intended convey the poet’s unease about urbanisation and modernity. He later said it was “too harsh”.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years.

7 Likes

I remember CA7 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Having lived there for twenty years, burgled twice, mugged once.

In the words of a local and spelt correctly “Sluff is ruff”

Just watch the series Road Wars

1 Like

Recently changed my Sony lcd for Sony 65 inch oled 95 k.Price reduction at moment to just over £3000.

I watch blu rays,perhaps 4K and poke about in the Amazon Prime gold mine.

I have no tv license. Sport and BBC ‘news’ of no interest to me.So how it would fare under that regime I do not know.

A fine product with a wonderful bright picture. I have my own 5.1 sound system.

If you are a Naim user you can imagine what the extra few pounds will buy you.

Sur John Betjeman

2 Likes

I got an LGC2 OLED. It’s absolutely amazing. The colours are very natural and the blacks are perfect. It also does great in our bright room in the daytime. It also works flawlessly with uniti HDMI switching.

I’m on my 3rd Sony TV and it is rubbish. 55" 4K Bravia. Also have a 32" Bravia. Prior to them I had Sharps which were incomparably better (and more expensive).

The problem by Sony’s have is the same as my old Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player and Sony HD recorder. Their built in OS takes forever to boot up. It is soo slow. You turn on the TV and it sits there like a lemon for ages unresponsive to the remote while it boots. And the picture isn’t great either. Not like the old Trinitron days. The brand has definitely gone downhill a bit.

I swore I’d never buy another Sony years ago for this reason but when the time came for new TV, they were the only ones I could afford as they were marked down and I’ve regretted it ever since.

There, an honest opinion of stuff I own.

I had Sharps before the Sony’s and the OS was instant on and the picture great. Definitely going back to Sharp.

1 Like

We have a 65” Sony A1 OLED with a Sennheiser Ambeo and SVS SB1000. The picture is superb, especially with Oppo205/blue ray/4K content and the sound is decent with this set up. Takes a while to start after being disconnected but comes out of standby pretty quickly. The Netflix app hangs occasionally, requiring a forced stop and restart and the screen doesn’t sit flat - it’s either tilted back on its stand or tilted forward on the wall (uses a cable rather than a fixed bracket).

Any flaws are forgotten once the picture starts; it would be a hard act to follow, I think…