Zara selling Turntables

Amongst each other we also refer to “the Naim”, I use stereo when talking to others.

2 Likes

I’ve always called it turntable and find it weird calling it record player. Then again someone once asked me to pass “the pilot” and it took me a while to realise she wanted “the remote” to change the Tv channel. It was sweet though.:relaxed:

1 Like

I’ve never heard that before :relieved: …but then again, the chances of me being in possession of the remote/pilot are pretty slim anyway, so it’s never cropped up :face_with_raised_eyebrow::joy:

2 Likes

This doesn’t seem to exist for the US market. EU/UK folks get all the goodies.

Were (‘we are’, but I adapt contemporary English) spoiled.

2 Likes

I suspect you might have a different view on that if you noticed the exchange rate of dollars to pounds tends to be fixed at 1:1 for anything coming over the pond….

…although I’m sure you similarly suffer in the other direction!

Nah. The only way I see this turntable along with other “music” related items is if I select UK for my default country. I get prompted up front for a ‘market’ via their website. Nice lifestyle website regardless.

It was an aspiration for many to own a ‘stereo’ in the 70’s, even a music centre!

1 Like

Record player sounds really American to me, as opposed to turntable which sounds quite British…

‘Turntable’ covers all manner of things including devices for displaying little things to rotating whole express steam locomotives, ‘record player’ ties it down. :0)

2 Likes

The term “Deck” is in pretty common use as well - I’ve heard Linn dealers call it that, but also too many DJs (2Many DJs :relaxed:) for me ever to be comfortable using that term myself….

We could always use gramophone and see how we get on:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.