156 Puritan

Great that it sounds better now. Once you hit that combination of which units in what plug order with best sound and least hum - don’t touch any more! : )

1 Like

It is very tempting to keep on changing it around though…and then forget which combination was best!

1 Like

I know, it’s a bit like FOMO but I honestly have not touched my mains blocks for months now - have faith, it’s possible! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I contacted Puritan on plug order. Their design is made identical and star earthed so it doesn’t matter. All positions are identical they answered.

Egalitarian principles rule and all output sockets have been created equal :blush:

They are all connected in a manner that gives them an equal resistance path to the power all have a 15 amps current rating.

Best wishes - Mike

1 Like

Yes, indeed, this is what Puritan say.

Mike told me the same about the 108 as well.

Ha I know the feeling I’m settled with all plugged in but I will test it out again next month. I feel like I’ve got myself sorted I’m enjoying that clear background cuts sounding so good, got to say that I’m supper impressed with the imaging detail and timing I’m getting from the Townshend podiums on the bottom of my Kudos Titans 606 . Really really good no more than fantastic I can’t recommend them enough if you got some hi-end speakers they are 100% worth it :grin::ok_hand: it’s all luxury here and I’m only running XPS NDX BT I got some podiums 2’s for £1’300 bargain and the Puritan 156 for £1’700 money well spent. Not small change but worth it. I think the podiums are expensive but they certainly do Townshend said they would. Makes me think I should try their cables :thinking: I wonder if anyone is using them with naim equipment on here? No idea how much they are either. Would be interested to know how they compare to the Chord Sarum that I’m using :thinking:

1 Like

Could be that you’ve got some cables touching I moved the power cable that feeds the 156 away from the power cables running out of the 156 and I’m sure that made a difference. So touching cables could be an issue. I’ve been thinking of ways to keep it all separated. It’s like spaghetti junction at the back of my equipment stands :roll_eyes:

Thank you, I will definitely give that a try. I decided to invest a little further and purchased 1m Puritan Classic Plus cables for my boxes. I cannot 100% hand on heart say they have made a difference; but, they are far easier to work with and stay neatly tucked away. They are all sitting on top of each other though, so I will definitely try separating them out :+1:

1 Like

I use Sarum too and have been very, very happy with the choice.

2 Likes

How the Townsend podiums upgraded your 606? I am sure @drago would like to know.
:raising_hand_man:t2::chicken:

1 Like

@burg
Really like to know - thanks @frenchrooster :+1:

1 Like

I can tell you they make a bloody big difference. it’s like a vale has been lifted m8 I’m listening to stuff that I know really well at least I thought I did :joy: I’ve just listened to (Yello) One Second and I’m gob smacked. I think the combination of the Puritan 156 and the podiums 2’s has been an amazing improvement. I think I’d even go so fare as saying get the podiums first. If you want to feel the base it looks like can’t really do that without smearing the rest, who would have thought that some mechanical vibration isolation would produce such an amazing sound. They just do. It’s s shame that they can’t get the production cost down a bit to make this a more affordable upgrade for people. I’m thinking the way forwards has got to having your main speakers on the podiums and have separate sub for that base that people like to feel. Depends what type of music you’re into I guess. :thinking: I’m toying with idea but not because I’m unhappy with what the podiums are doing. I’m just wondering if you can have your cake and eat with an additionally sub or subs. My brother has a couple of Reel Subs boosting his stand mount speakers, which sound good. There is a big difference in the price of my speakers with the podiums added. Plus I’m guessing you wouldn’t want to role of the controlled base improvements from the podiums over to a sub or subs, if the podiums are making such a huge difference to what you can here.
I’m active with the a Snaxo 242 and a pair Nap300’s, If anybody knows how to fit I a sub into my system without changing that to much I’d like to hear from them.
The podiums has taken my system to another bloody level. Such an expansive sound, really clear smooth detail a big chunk of the improvement is bound to me the puritan, but both are supposed to deliver a quieter background. I’ve also found that some poor recording just sound better with the puritan same could be said for the podiums I think. Not a hit of harshness. Base is controlled everything is rhythmical chugging along effortlessly. I’m thinking what next, like how much better can it get :joy: I’m in a very nice position and in no rush to replace the XPS & NDX BT. Which should be the Weakest link in my system. I did everything in reverse, expensive speakers first, with the mindset that when I made my improvements I would here what’s the speakers could deliver. I didn’t didn’t want to be limited by what the speakers could deliver. I literally thought no more speakers for me. It worked for me more luck than judgment possibly :joy: I don’t suppose their are too many people out there that haven’t moved on from their XPS NDX BT or listened to what it can do with all the stuff that I got it connected to. I’ve got the NDS on my mind though that has got to be an affordable next step I think, maybe the NDX 2 but the NDS looks and sounds like great value for your money these days

3 Likes

I went all in with the ultimate power cable no way of comparing the difference now

Thanks, I transfer your message to @drago , :grin:

Ok … i should not have read this @burg
I love Yello by the way.
How about the wobble effect. My floor is tile - but suspended. Don’t want the speakers shaking every time I will walk by them.

By the way…
I have climbed up the ladder a bit the last year … expensive ladder.
The more open and detailed the sound gets … very nice. But does is loose a bit of its relaxation (i call in the the nait 1/2 effect).
Does the podiums bring more less noise and even more detail or also more relaxing?

Can get podiums for less than half price…

1 Like

I’ve got even more to come, the Townshend podium’s 2’s that I brought have class B pods.
I found out that podiums own weight has to be added to the weight of your speakers. My kudos 606 each weigh 35kg so with the podiums with B class pods are pretty much at there maxim and not their optimum for performance and may fail over time. There are some misleading web sights out there selling the podiums with the weight of the speakers that can be used with the different class of pods that they make which are very misleading.
My advice would be to Use Townshends own spec. they have a colour graph which makes it much easer to see which pod is needed to Optimise the podium and the Speakers performance.
Mine didn’t bounce up and down like the ones that I sore on the YouTube videos and i thought that they should move more than they did. I guessed that I had a weight issue. Even some of the dealers suggested that the ones that I had were right for my speakers :flushed:
My podiums moved forwards backwards and side ways but not up and down so much. I still heard a huge improvement. Nothing harsh at all, the sound moves forwards and goes back in my room. My room is a bit on the small side, so I’m not going to get the full Tardis soundstage. I’ve been able to lay down on me bed, close my eyes and get a very immersive live and detailed experience. Luckily the kudos are Isobaric and boundary friendly. Part of what I’m hearing reminds me a bit of the 282 without the hardness. I think the puritan 156 with podiums and the naim 252 and the 300’s is making the magic.
If you can get the podiums half price I’d be interested in some of that :joy:
because cheap they are not. Worth it 100% without a shadow of a doubt for me. If you’ve got a hard tiled floor I think I’d go for a bit of Acoustic sound absorbing rubber under the foot plats. They are quite wide footplates, but they are plastic. I can’t see the tiled floor being a great contact for a plastic floor plate. The springs should stop the speakers from moving in your room I would think. The speakers should be floating. Vibrations shouldn’t be getting to or from your speakers into the floor.
I recommend Watching Townshend own video. It’s all true they do what they say they do. I can vouch for that. I’m thinking about there super tweeter. Which is supposed to improve the base even further. I think I will see If I can fit those into my system at some point.
That would be three things to bring more attention to the base. The podiums remove smear. I heard stuff that I haven’t heard before. The pods lift a vale. Some people want the shock waves from their base. I don’t mind a bit of that, but not at the expense of the overall sound quality. You also get rhythm and timing from the podiums. Two words encapsulates my experience so fare ( Real Magic) no misdirection of slight of hand going on here :joy:

1 Like

Check this guy out I love it
One More Second
Gurf Morlix

The one I can get are pod c which seems to fit better for my 606.
But they are s/h - no idea if the spring system is giving up over the years.
still thinking about auvas …

Are the plastic feet fixed or do they move a bit as it is necessary with uneven tiles underneath

Having owned Podiums, you are correct that the speaker weight and the weight of the Podium itself should be added together. This will enable you to select the correct sized Pod, for your speaker. I also found to my surprise how many people, customers and dealers, did not know this basic rule, I guess it’s a case of you live and learn. :blush:

1 Like

Your not Wrong there m8