156 Puritan

I’ve left some feedback on the puritan 156 power conditioner and their ultimate power lead.
I’m using XPS 2 NDX BT Supercap 2 252 Hicap 2 242, 2 x Nap 300 all none DR two sets of Chord Sarum with their newest Banana plugs factory fitted and the kudos Titan 606
I can see why some people that tested the conditioner didn’t like it.
I’m thinking some people just might have thrown out the baby with bathwater here :grimacing:.
When I plugged my whole system in I gained a clear background lost something it just sounded less dynamic. I listened to a lot of music to make sure that I wasn’t just a case of the Emperor’s new Clothes. Definitely not a case of the Emperor’s.
Never underestimate the power of denial :joy:
I can confirm that there was a nice big improvement when I only plugged the XPS NDX BT and then Supercap 252 in and left the rest out. I did a lot of A-B listening.
The Only thing left to try is just leaving the Naxo 242 out. Oh I guess I could also try leaving just one of the Nap 300’s out as well :thinking:
But it sounds great with the sauce and the preamp only :ok_hand::grin:

3 Likes

Maybe give it 100 hours… I suspect if it’s new it might need a bit on run in

3 Likes

Nice summary and similar to my experience with the 156 as well, a relatively good effect on sources but not on the overall sound when my amplification was also plugged into it. Which kind of says again that this is more or less a fairly typical filtration block with their known pros and cons.

I personally prefer (and need) to use a mains block for all my components (and as a hub to separate my hifi). Keeps life simple, I believe reduces interference and I guess in most cases grounding would be more straightforward too.

I think Puritan say that plugging sequence should make no difference but may be you could try?

2 Likes

I have the source and the preamp plugged into the first two sockets. I’ll have to listen further but the difference with the hicap headline plugged into the 156 didn’t have such a clear discernible impact, which surprised me a bit. Plus the hi-cap still hummed which surprised me.
I didn’t hear any hum from the power amps when I plugged them in, and my first thought was great. Like you said it could be a burn in issue but it made my music less dynamic with the power amps plugged it felt like the top end rolled off and the timing got slower just enough to take something away and made the music less enjoyable.
I guess we are left with the question of which of the two is adding something to or taking something away. I liked the speed and timing of the naim equipment. Giving the source and the preamp a smother more uniformed source of power is a really nice improvement :ok_hand: I’ll see how it all sounds after a 100 hours listening

3 Likes

I have also jumped on the bandwagon (so to speak) after viewing the bought new things 2024 thread. For now, I have only plugged in my phono amp (Phasemation EA2000). Compared to the PS Audio rengenerator, there is more energy & dynamics. Mine is less than a week old though.

So, from fellow enthusiasts as above, we can also plug in Naim source component(s) for an improvement ? Not affected by the no filtration / power conditioning rule ?

The most important rule. There are no rules.

5 Likes

I’ve put my amps back into the puritan, 156 and I’m going to run it in for 100hrs but I can say there was an instant benefit to a having a cleaner / smother power source with my source and the preamp plugged in. The improvement was there right from the start. Ive had the 156 running through the night. I’ll do that for the rest of the week and feedback the results :grin:

2 Likes

If you are still in trial period I would recommend you try the ISOL-8 MiniSub Axis, same price point and similar features, the big difference is it has two dedicated power amp outlets with DC blocking. ISOL-8 products are thoroughly tested with Naim kit, I have the ISOL-8 PowerLine Extreme and absolutely love it, no transformer hum, no loss of dynamics, improved SQ across the board. The company was started by the same engineer who originally set up Isotek.

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation they seem some very interesting products. I have a feeling I’ve got a lot of research ahead of me lol

1 Like

Whether power conditioners are needed probably depends on your circumstances.
For those lucky enough to have good quality supply they are superfluous.
For those, like myself, who have very poor quality supply and no convenient way to add a dedicated radial they are very effective.
I have NPX300, NAP250, PhoenixNET, Stack Volt LPS, and Denon AVC3700H all plugged in.
No hyperbole intended but mine is a key piece of kit now. YMMV.

4 Likes

I have my full system in my 156 and Ultimate. Great improvement here too.

2 Likes

It may not be that simple, all power supplies put some noise back on the power line, preventing cross contamination from other components is something good power conditioners do, and depending on the system the effects could be quite audible.

1 Like

Have you tried the Nap 500 without the Power conditioner ?

I have only had everything in, everything out and found everything in sounding better. Seems like most have the same experience with 156. But if anything I would try the power amp without it.

I know I have EMC pollution on my grid from charging electric cars, solar panels and other things which I cannot control since it’s from neighbours and also from my own household which I cannot shut off. And my experience is Naim prefer clean power more than no conditioner and dirty power. The days with clean power grid is behind us.

2 Likes

I think you will get a more dynamic sound with the Nap 500 without the Power conditioner.
And you have earthed outlets for the system now

1 Like

Has your HiCap stopped buzzing? I am also only a week in with my 156 and my Supercap buzzes just as it did previously, which is disappointing. I’m otherwise impressed like yourself.

In my experience some Naim transformers buzz due to DC and some just because they love to buzz and there is nothing to do about it more then sending it for repair and hope they will exchange the transformer for a new one.

2 Likes

I never really had an issue with loud buzzing, at least the kind that you hear from the listening position. Before the ISOL-8 I could sometimes hear significant buzz noise when close to the equipment, now I can only hear it if I put my ear on the equipment.

It got better after a burn in, I also put the power amps closer to the power in, not that should make a difference. I’ve stayed with them all plugged in for now happy with what feels like a significant improvement. I also added the Townsend podiums 2’s to the bottom of my Kudos Titan 606
Together they make a very nice improvement indeed :grin::ok_hand: both doing exactly what they said they would.
The slight buzzing from the transformers is less with the amps plugged into the Puritan 156. I could swear that it stopped completely when I first plugged the power amps in :thinking:

4 Likes

I just had a listen to mine again after leaving it playing all weekend and, like you, I now feel it is a very pleasant upgrade indeed.

Re the buzzing - I thought that myself on Saturday; but I’ve spent so much time unplugging and re-plugging things back in to get it to go away, I think I have driven myself crazy as I seem to be hearing buzzing everywhere I go now :roll_eyes: :upside_down_face: