1973, 50 years of incredible music

Joe Walsh was a wonderful guitarist, he took The Eagles up a notch.

6 Likes

I really do like “Moonshake”, but not convinced enough by the other tracks to buy the CD.

I’m more tempted by Neu!75 (which is, er, a 1975 album…)

1 Like

Dave Greenslade must be one of rock’s greatest optimists. He released “Pentateuch of the Cosmogony” in 1979, probably 7 or 8 years later than it should have been, considering the popular musical landscape in '79.

4 Likes

Wow, not heard of this, thanks. Must have seemed like a time warp by 1979! Must investigate!

1 Like

Amusingly, I was in the Oxfam store in Winchester a couple of years ago and they had the Pentateuch “vinyl” box. I was sorely tempted, but the box and booklet looked as though it had been nibbled by mice, the LP had seen a good deal of wear, and yet they still wanted £40 for it!

You can find it on Yootoob………

1 Like

I have the vinyl box set. I paid less than £10, iirc albeit a good while ago. My copy looks pretty good, but I only bought it as a curiosity.

Mind you I just found out that I have Time and Tide as well. I forgot I had it!

1 Like

And these:

New York Dolls - 1st album

Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh

Cockney Rebel - The Human Menagerie

Agitation Free - 2nd (if only for Laila, Pt. 2)

2 Likes

4 Likes

Not forgetting Elton John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Will be interesting to see what they do this year to celebrate after the 30th & 40th editions.

6 Likes

Three more that I don’t think have been mentioned:

John Cale - Paris 1919

Donny Hathaway - Extension of a Man

Wings - Band on the Run. I’m surprised this one hasn’t been flagged so far.

10 Likes

Obviously, this. So obvious that no one seems to have heralded it thus far.

3 Likes

Haven’t all copies of this been fed to a Wood Chipper…:rofl:

3 Likes

I believe that it was tried, but that the wood chipper spat them all back out.

3 Likes

Yes - ‘Tales from Topographic Oceans’ (1973). Prog to end all prog released at the height of the Progressive era.

12 Likes

Climax Blues Band - ‘FM Live’ (1973). Oft overlooked live album released in 1973. Catchy stuff from early ‘Climax Blues’ albums. I never saw CMB live but I have heard they were good value in concert. This is borne out by this album and live concert recordings I have heard from the ‘Shine On’ and ‘Real to Reel’ eras in the late seventies. A friend taped their live set at the Reading Festival in 1979 off Radio 1 at the time (broadcast on ‘The Friday Rock Show’) and I still have a copy of it. Great days!

6 Likes

Gentle Giant - ‘In A Glass House’ (1973). Another great prog album from 1973.

6 Likes

As a follow up to Close to the edge it was always going to have an uphill battle at the time, a bit like Tusk after Rumours. I remember it being panned by some in the music press despite many of the YES fans ( including myself) rushing out to buy it.
That said I think people came round to it later. ! Always liked this album but preferred CTTE

4 Likes

Hey, where did that come from? It hasn’t appeared on my radar at all: I have Gentle Giant, Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends (my favourite), Octopus, The Power and the Glory and Free Hand, but was unaware of In a glass house! Thank you - I must rectify…

2 Likes

I know even Rick Wakeman doesn’t like it but I think it’s musically amazing. I’m not sure what it’s about (even having read the blurb) but whatever it is, it’s a great excuse to produce something so of it’s day and the layers and layers of musicianship in here are just pure prog trippy-ness at it’s peak.

3 Likes

1973 saw the release of this fabulous album that many (like me!) received that Christmas and were spinning well into 1974…

5 Likes