1973, 50 years of incredible music

1973 was imho a fantastic musical year. Compared with today music seemed to be played by people who could play and sing without the aid of software. Also seemed diverse and didn’t matter as much if you were ugly.
I have so many favourites from 1973, what’s yours and why?
Bought a lot of albums in 73 inc Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon and Innervisions by Stevie Wonder. Pinups by Bowie and many more. A really great year.

4 Likes

Head Hunters - Herbie Hancock

Still great after all these years

Mark

14 Likes

Larks’ tongues in aspic, King Crimson.

12 Likes

Black Byrd - Donald Byrd

Another jazz-funk classic - often sampled in later years by various hip-hop groups, including Public Enemy - and the re-released Quadraphonic mix on SACD from Dutton Vocalion is a great way to hear it.

Mark

5 Likes

I’m sure that others will post the excellent albums from this year by Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan etc but here are some others worthy of mention:

Hawkwind- Space Ritual

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall

17 Likes

Already mentioned but…

7 Likes

8 Likes

Coming to mind : Billy cobham / spectrum
Joe Henderson / elements
Deodato 2
The Temptations / 1990

10 Likes

9 Likes

Alice_Cooper_-_Billion_Dollar_Babies
I was in my early teens. This was the follow on to Schools Out.
And this

12 Likes

Quo were always my dirty secret!

9 Likes

Very hard to pick favourites from the 20-30 albums I have from that year. Explaining why something holds a particular grip on me is harder… That said, I think these are my favourites from that year - but ask me another day and it could be different!

• Edgar Broughton: Oora - The usual musical style, though more honed than ever, and with some poignant lyrics (She said she had a father, the one she never saw. Her mother was a comfort to a pilot in the war)

• Budgie: Never turn your back on a friend - This was my introduction to the band. Wonderful music, and the track Parents

• Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells - Simply a classic (that is, Tubular Bells itself, the track that was side 1 on the LP), and one that has improved as my system has.

• Pink Floyd: Dark side of the moon. A classic in many ways, PF, a truly progressive band, moved on from the style of Atom Heart and * Meddle*, with this unique in between style, and I have loved it since first hearing, never tiring of it. The ending Brain Damage going into Eclipse is sublime. Actually I think overall this one is my favourite album of the year,

• Who: Quadraphenia. Not as good overall as Tommy, but nonetheless hangs together very well indeed, and has some powerful songs, very well recorded to boot.

6 Likes

By 1973 I was buying lots of albums. I still have most of the above in the collection. Probably my favorite of 73 is Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun . Amazing musicians and songwriters. CD sleeve is signed by the late great Paul Kantner.

8 Likes

Possibly 1973 is my favourite year for albums. ( Bit of dross as well of course)

4 Likes

Traffic

…with the best rock & roll name ever: Percussionist - Rebop Kwaku Baah

7 Likes

SixWives_Wakeman_Album

Surprised this made the Top 10 - !!!

Best. Prog. - !!!

10 Likes

Really.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Only bettered by 1971, 52 years of incredible music…

:grin:

2 Likes

24 Likes