2 x Hicap on 282

Saving a search has cost me so much!

2 Likes

This has been discussed numerous time on this forum. Thereā€™ll never be a consensus on which is better. Certainly you fall into the supercap camp (as do I) but itā€™s split pretty much 50:50 by the rest of the community!

2 Likes

Added a 2nd hcdr, last week and it is a uplift to my 282. Itā€™s staying =)

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been hanging back on trying 2 hi caps as there seemed a split on if there was a uplift in sound, what amazed me after adding a second hi cap that some people heard no difference, I could understand if someone did not like the difference but to say there was no change I am amazed in this , anyway this has whetted my appetite to try a supercap in the new year if it improves on 2 hi caps well it must be a winner.

1 Like

IMO, using an 82, using two HiCaps with it, is a clear difference. More airy or spaciousā€¦? Better imaging. Whether this is truly ā€˜betterā€™ depends on the individual - but in Value For Money (esp is using pre-loved) its a Winner, IMOā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was using a HCDR on my 282 which I reallu liked, however I found the step up using a Non DR Supercap really took the 282 on a level all together and for me showed what the 282 is capable off

1 Like

I am still waiting to hear the opinion of 2 Supercaps. Apparently this is close to 552 level! :joy:

2 Likes

I tried my 282 with a Hi Cap and then asked if I could hear it with a Supercap.
Expensive request but a justifiable one as after hearing the Supercap I couldnā€™t go back to Hi Cap.

:slight_smile: Iā€™m happy to read that, @Antz, as my plans to compare 2 HCDR to SC2 on my 282 had to be postponed to the new year.

1 Like

Steviebee, how did you get on with the 2nd HC? Considering the same and would be interested in your findings. Thanks.

Apologies @cwhizz, Iā€™ve been dead lazy since Christmas, tbh. Inertia and work are unsympathetic bedfellows!

Iā€™ll get to it next weekend hopefully, when I think Iā€™ve got a run of 4 days off.

No worries and no hurry. :+1:

I found 252 a much smoother, polished sound after a 282 / SC. It will depend which sound you prefer.

1 Like

Well I am still enjoying very much my 282 and single Hicap DR since I started this thread and in the year or so that I have had this combination. I have not auditioned a 2nd Hicap or a Supercap as of yet, but think the next step for me will be to go for the Supercap and skip the 2nd Hicap stage because I think I will possibly upgrade to the 252 at some point.

The only reason to change really is that I read mainly on this forum that the 252 gives a very clear, stripped back smooth sound which is what I like, would need to listen too though obviously.

Question at this point would be whether to get a Supercap DR and use with 282 selling the Hicap or better just to trade 282, Hicap and Napsc for 252 and Supercap. Not really a dilemma but something that I do find myself pondering on.

Listening to This is the Kit new album this afternoon. It really is a very good sound.

What Iā€™ve read (one post on some forum or other, I forget) is that the 282/2 HCDRs give a lively, detailed upfront sound, while the 282/SC2 is moreā€¦refined and ā€˜musicalā€™. The post-writer wondered therefore whether the 282/SCDR would, short of a 252, be a good combination of the two qualities.

3 Likes

Keep putting the money in the pocket for a 552, forget the 252. :+1:t2::grimacing:

4 Likes

Yes exactly this @steviebee

1 Like

That option will always be beyond my resources. 252 is though to be honest at the moment but hey :grinning:

1 Like

Not sure where you are in the world but recent used ones can be had in the UK for Ā£13000.
Worth thinking about as once you factor in selling existing 282ā€™s, Hicaps or Supercapsā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m in Hampshire in the UK. A 552 would then be imbalanced in my system though I would of thought. Wish I hadnā€™t thought about a Supercap now :grinning:

1 Like