2 x Hicap on 282

No way, if the NDX2 was bare like my own then most likely.

1 Like

I wish people wouldnā€™t mention how good the 252 is. Iā€™ve just bought a 282 with a Supercap which sounded better than the Hi Cap I intended using.
Now Iā€™m thinking as Iā€™ve bought the Supercap should I listen to the 252. This is the most expensive site Iā€™ve ever visited.

12 Likes

John the 282/SC is a lovely Pre combo and IMO just shows how good the 282 is, I went from 282/HCDR to SC and the uprade in detail and music was a delight

I would just enjoy the music

4 Likes

A Supercap on a 282 leads, inexorably, to a 252 :grin:
Resistance is futile.

5 Likes

Just forget it and enjoy what you have, it will play music very very well

5 Likes

Itā€™s certainly worth trying the 252, but a 282 with a Supercap in tow is a very potent pre-amp. Itā€™s been done to death here so no point going over old ground of 282 vs 252 but donā€™t assume it automatically must be ā€˜betterā€™. System synergy and your own preferences are key here.

Youā€™ve got a very nice system there already so I wouldnā€™t rush to try the 252ā€¦

4 Likes

You probably donā€™t want to hear this, but one reason I spent over a year tracking down the right pre-loved 552 was to knock these kinds of nagging what-if thoughts on the head once and for all.

3 Likes

It is entirely up to the individual. People can say the 252 is better than 282 but the decision to upgrade lies with the individual. The 282/HCDR is my endgame amp although Iā€™m aware the sound quality of the Supercap and 252 may be different or better.

1 Like

Have you seen the 552 v S1 thread then :scream:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve just replaced the XPS DR with a 555PS DR on my NDX2 and it was such an improvement that Iā€™m now trapped into thinking the classic series is not enough.
Whoever constructed the Naim range was an evil genius!

6 Likes

And then along came the Statement eh

1 Like

The Statement is sufficiently far out of my league that Iā€™m not even slightly tempted by it :innocent:

1 Like

Hi @cwhizz
Finally got to swapping out the SC2 for my two HCDRs this morning. Warming them up as theyā€™ve been boxed for a couple of months.

First impressions? Very clear, detailed presentation with nice, um, spatiality to the soundstage. Impressive, I have to say. The SC2 was warmer perhaps, and perhaps slightly less detailed, but these are very first impressions.

Iā€™ll keep the HCs in for a few days, then go back to the SC2. Then decide. Iā€™m quite taken with the detail of the twin HCs, but more time needed! The DR effect, I wonder. More ā€˜hi fiā€™, less ā€˜musicā€™ is not particularly what Iā€™m looking for, so weā€™ll see how this goesā€¦especially when I swap the SC back in.
So far, pretty good for a first impression.

That aside, Iā€™m wondering also about a recap for the SC - in case I ever go to a 252 and bearing in mind the SC2 is a few years older than the HCs. Or maybe just find a good, used DR when/if I try 252.

3 Likes

Thanks Stevie, really appreciate the update.

I donā€™t think a 252 is going to be on my radar anytime soon, so SC not so vital for me. Tempted to try the second HCDR though. Thanks again.

1 Like

@cwhizz

My only caveat re the twins, is whether the clarity and detail (slightly more forwardness and top end?) may make the sound a bit tiring over time, with some recordings. Iā€™m not sure yet, but Iā€™ll report back once Iā€™ve played more tomorrow and Monday. The twin HC are (initially) impressive thoā€¦seemed to ā€˜open upā€™ the presentation - especially noticeable on my new Kaki King LP ( guitar-based instrumental).

Whoops, getting my days mixed up, today IS Sunday! I meant Monday and Tuesday now Iā€™ve come to my sensesā€¦

2 Likes

On your way back to the SC2, it might be worth just trying one HC DR on your 282, just for completeness. Apologies if youā€™ve already been down this route. Itā€™s a long threadā€¦

2 Likes

I havenā€™t tried a solo HCDR, @james_n.
Youā€™re right:

I should, and will :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not in my case, Iā€™ve tried the 252 and it is an improvement but not such that Iā€™d go for it. But a 552ā€¦

1 Like

Well the comment was tongue-in-cheek and not intended to be taken too seriously.

1 Like

I started this thread about the benefit of adding a 2nd Hicap to my 282 or possibly a Supercap but it seems the thread has changed to 282 to 552 transition. It does make me laugh this forum :grinning::grinning:

3 Likes