2 x Hicap on 282

@AlanJ yes as was my comment about a 552!

@Thedomestique yes it soon wanders doesn’t it. However, there might be a serious point in that notwithstanding Statement the 552 so often seems to be the pre-amp to aspire to. But, no doubt the 252 is an exceptionally musical amp and will equally give a lifetime of great listening. In answering your question I would say hold out for a SC.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

I like what the 2nd cap does to my 282. It’s when I take it off, that I notice the benefits.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth replacing the HCDR with an SCDR, on my 282, made a huge (beneficial) difference. All jesting aside (previous posts) it does, also, position you nicely for a move to 252 should you wish to do so. In my case thats a step that, hitherto, I wasnt seriously considering but which the prevailing circumstances have made possible. On the other hand, as other’s have mentioned, if you aspire to a 552 it probably makes sense to just keep saving.

2 Likes

I’m settling at 252DR after the 282 as a) I find it much more refined b) The ‘step’ to a 552 invariably wouldn’t stop at simply the 552 and would induce thoughts about source, nap, speakers, cables etc etc - Are they maximising the potential of the 552?

G

3 Likes

same here @AlanJ I went from 282 with 1 x HCDR to 282 with non DR SC

the refinment in the music was there from the start, I can see why a lot of owners stick at 282/SC or 282/SCDR the addtion does IMO take the 282 on to another level

does this automatically mean 252 - well in did in my case, that was always my plan but 282 with either SC is a lovely combination with any source

4 Likes

Yep… the 282/SC(DR) is a fine place to stop. For my part I’m happy to have arrived at a 252 to pair with my 250DR and Kudos Titan 606’s. It’s further than I really expected to go so am quite happy. A 552 is highly unlikely in my case.

4 Likes

If I were to purchase a 2nd hand pre loved Supercap DR - What are there service interval times on these please. Interested as seen one from 2014…

I think 8 to 10 years. Its that sort of figure of HCs.

2 Likes

An 8 to 10 year service interval is Naim’s recommendation for all Olive or CB (or earlier), I believe.

1 Like

I think it’s a bit longer on Classic (black) kit. It would be worth asking Naim or Darran at Class A.

1 Like

Ok, so as I said before, a Supercap and then probably a 252 are not currently on my radar, so I decided to scratch an itch and try a second HCDR on my 282. Got a good deal on a very nearly new one to match my other 2020 HCDR. It’s been connected now for about 10 days.

Current impressions are good with a nice uplift all round. Definitely getting a better soundstage and separation. Bass definition better too. My system (might be the speakers) can sound a little harsh on some recordings, but I think this has also been eased a bit.

Very happy about the results so far and content to stay at this level for a while anyway.

Thanks to Steviebee and others for your comments and inputs. I know I could cash in the HCDR’s against a SC, plus a few more quid, but I have to stop somewhere, at least for the time being…

4 Likes

Its 12 to 15 years, on Black, according to Naim Audio… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yup. That’s a good summary, IMO. Twin HC’s on an 82 here… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just had my NDX (2011) and HiCap (2006) serviced. Both sound now warmer, colourful treble again, better definition especially bass. Don’t wait too long for servicing. My second HiCap and 282 will be serviced next…

2 Likes

I have an 82 and had two matching olive hicaps and it sounded fantastic. I moved the hicaps on and replaced them with the Supercap 2 which took it up a fair few notches tbf.

Stay put and enjoy but be aware there is more to come in due course.

Sometimes you have to leave things alone and enjoy the amazing system which you have.

I have got to the point for a good 5 months or so where there has been no upgrading at all!

When you are happy with what you have best to leave it alone!

6 Likes

Thats still not very long, in the grand scheme of things…!!

1 Like

Hahahahaha! It feels like a lifetime. Tbh I bought my son a system for his games room/my study so the hifi bug didn’t entirely go away. A true confession :smile:

Really…? :laughing:
I think my maximum is around 4 years - without a significant change - but with recapping & minor tweaks… :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.