2023 Upgrades Complete

I didn’t. I like you thought Chord Signature (speaker cables) was very good and reluctantly tried Chord Sarum T (Cost of) and that was my mistake! The difference was very noticeable and therefore I (happily) ended up with Sarum T. I was hoping when trying XLRs it wouldn’t be history repeating itself, however, it was …bank balance not happy, ears and toes (tapping) delighted :grin:

1 Like

When I made my previous post I thought my 2023 upgrades were complete. Then I heard an NVC TT & NPX TT into a 222/250 and my current speakers, I went to listen to it out of curiosity rather than a real intention to buy. Listened to a couple of tracks with the Aria and thought, well I will be keeping the Aria. Then I heard the NVC, within a few bars of Daughter’s song Swim Back, I had a big smile on my face. Listened to a few more songs and the deal was done. It has been at home for a week now and I reckon I have more than doubled my LP listening and cut listening to rips by the same amount.
Now my 2023 upgrades are complete, 2024 might have some though, as I am wondering how much better a 222 is with two NPX300s rather than one.

6 Likes

It’s great to read that you are enjoying vinyl so much
Happy listening :+1:

2 Likes

It is good to have returned to it being my primary source. For several years it was equal to CD, then the Valhalla board on the LP12 died and I just listened to CDs for a bit. Getting the LP12 serviced and a new power supply rekindled it for a bit, but during my cancer treatment and recovery CDs and rips won out.
Once I got to my new normal and accepted early retirement was the best course I upped the LP playing again and it remained at a similar level until I got the 222, when it leapt up significantly but rips were still ahead most of the time. The brief time with the Aria increased it but the NVC has brought back my full-on love affair with vinyl, to the extent that I will be buying LP versions of CDs I already have, something I have never felt the need to do before.

4 Likes

Or trade in the 222 and NPX for a 333 and a 332?

3 Likes

Although we’ve made different choices, actually, reads like we have been on a remarkable similar journey over these past few years…

Might even yet end up with the ATC SCM40’s. :wink:
( Or the PMC Twenty5 23i ‘s )

Sorry to hear about the C thing, hope that’s under control now.

Again, just comparing, if any like me, the music helps ( no probably is necessary) through the tough times

Happy listening
R

1 Like

I am very tempted to trade in the 222 for a 333/332 in the fullness of time. But think getting another NPX300 first might work better for me in the shorter term. Then I would have two ready for the 333/332.

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that using two NPXs prevents use of the Standby feature. If true, this may not matter to you of course.

Very little change, for me, in 2023… :expressionless:

Bought an additional level for my Isoblue.
It’s still vacant - but ready for an additional box, at some point maybe…
Got my NAP250 serviced at Class A.

For me, changes or upgrades rely on me ‘finding’ something.
Maybe something might be revealed in 2024… :thinking:

2 Likes

I think it might partially work, in that the NPX connected to the digital side of the 222 will still function but you have to turn off the NPX connected to the analogue side of the 222 manually.

1 Like

I’m sure your dealer will be able to confirm / advise.

2 Likes

The risk with that is that they would want to demonstrate the 222 with two NPXs and I walk out of the store after ordering one.

So you can have 2 x 300s on the 222?

I believe so, however you lose system automation for powering on and off. I will investigate further in the New Year I expect.

1 Like

:thinking:

What spec to you have on your LP12 @paulbysea?

PMC Twenty 26’s replaced with PMC Fact 12’s, now very much at the stage where I can comfortably sit back, enjoy my music and resist that upgrade itch, for now, at least!

1 Like

It is now around Selekt level now, still with an Ittok. Originally was pre-Nirvana fitted with a Syrinx PU2 when I got it around 1980. Only the plinth, lid and top plate are original.

1 Like

Yes a lot of that here as well in 2023, basically an almost full system overhaul when I was actually just looking to add a budget streamer! Quite the learning experience.

I put the recently serviced CB Nait 2 back in its box for now, and bought an ex-dem Nait XS3. Wonderful sound and good phono and headphone amps which lifted everything.

For the digital side I bought an ex-dem ND5 XS2, then added the used nDAC and DC1 cable. Got a Qobuz subscription for that as well. All via wifi, might investigate (how to) wired.

Analogue still the same, a 2018 LP12 with a walnut Linn fluted plinth, Trampolin2, Cirkus bearing, Majik subchassis, Hercules psu, Jelco TS550-S tonearm & cable, Ortofon HOMC cartridge.

Speakers also still the same, hope to get a pair of Russell-K RED 50s on demo anytime soon, to see what different speakers bring to the party in our difficult room.

We’re now back to the situation of 6 years ago, with amp, analogue and digital source really on par and the Qobuz subscription again. Just everything a level or two higher up.
At the time what followed was selling everything but the Nait 2 to fund the LP12 and go with a source-first analogue system. Will now see what this brings us in our very different life of today, perhaps the reverse, or keep it this way, don’t know yet.

2 Likes

The best decision in 2023 might be keeping this one item :+1:

2 Likes