2023 Upgrades Complete

Well, after thinking long and hard about where my hifi is now at the end of 2023, what I planned for back in 2012 when I got back into hifi, I have made a couple of momentous decisions. 1) No more LP12 upgrades and 2) No 500 series aspirations. I decided that if I did either I would simply be in effect starting again and I don’t want to do it again despite the fun I’ve had. I may add a modest 6000cdt (Into the NDS) for fun as I do have one or two CDs lying around and some that are unavailable on streaming services or vinyl. But that is it. My new year resolution will be to focus on something new. Not sure what it will be yet (Classic car/bike renovation :man_shrugging:). Of course will never stop listening to the music.

3 Likes

We’ll see :wink:

But there wont be any 30year old 552s around till at least 2032 :man_shrugging:. I like my hifi like my whisky……Aged. :wink:

1 Like

how is the sound of the Tom Evans The Groove SRX? Speciallly good i presume

1 Like

I managed to go to my dealer and leave without purchasing anything yesterday, just dropped off a small thank-you gift for the great service throughout this year. Could this mean this year’s upgrades are complete?

5 Likes

Will power to that young man, well done.

6 Likes

Very little change for me in 2023, just…

Full 500 system/MA GS300 speakers/UnitiServe

to

Nova/Russell K Red 100 speakers/posh Melco server

to

NC222/300/250

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

We purchased our first Naim system which was setup during October. CD5si, SN3, HicapDR, ND5xs2,Spendor A4. We kept the P9/Exact,Chord cables, Isokek power management and Isotek power Chords. Sounds much better than prior Rega system. I guess this counts as a completed upgrade?

3 Likes

2023 saw me improve my system by adding a new power cord from wall to block. I chose a Neotech NEP3200 in place of a Naim Powerline. Speaker cables were exchanged from NACA5 to Neotech Nemos 3080. Finały the analogue front end got new power supply in the Goldnote PST 10. All in all some nice and subtle improvements.

2 Likes

Despite telling myself “It’s all fine, nothing to change here” I ended up swopping out my SN3 and NDX2 to be replaced by a factory fresh 200 Series NAP250.
I already had a Linn Selekt DSM I was then using in my home office as a 2 channel integrated which I repurposed by swopping out the power amp cartridge and swopping in a Line Out cartridge (just moved the Katalyst DAC across, simple).
I had considered this a “stop gap” till a point where I may add a NSC222 but the thinking now is to just go Organik on the DSM as it feels like it remains more flexible and potentially capable than a NSC222 could be.
I also finally gave my Kanta 1’s a pair of Focal boots to wear, they actually made quite a nice improvement to their balance in the room.
I’ve rebuilt my Space Optimisation on the DSM and tuned that to my prefered liking, it gave the bass more control and allowed the mids to position correctly in the soundstage, again something not possible on a NSC222.
I had an extended home demo of both speaker and XLR cables. I focused mainly on Chord Signature, having both combined was a nice combo, going back to stock Naim 200 Series XLR and NAC A5 got things a little more foot tapping again but it lost some of it’s finer resolution, I’d like to try the same with Super Lumina but prices and used availability are typically limited, whereas Chord Signature pops up fairly often via dealer network or auctions in the UK.
I’d still like a new turntable, a Technics SL-1200G in black will do please Santa :partying_face:

1 Like

So you are saying I should reverse my 2023 changes and go back to the old system? :wink:

We do the same things but in reverse order, am now back into hifi after doing the previous.

1 Like

Not really… :thinking:
Just delighted you decided to keep that lovely little shoe box
It might find another use around the house one day.

Happy holidays
May Santa bring you lots of music :notes: :cd: :saxophone: :guitar: :musical_keyboard: :musical_score:

1 Like

I had a completely unexpected and unplanned upgrade this year - the first and last of the year - when I stumbled across an old Musical Fidelity A370 class A power amp for sale. Rare beasts, and now this one is mine. Sublime.

1 Like

I finished the replacement of all interconnection cables within my Naim equipment to Chord B./Chord Music. The three missing cables between Snaxo 362 and the 3 x NAP250DR were added one week ago. It’s fascinating to hear how the SQ improved.

4 Likes

For 2023 it turns out I didn’t buy any new hifi. But I did an upgrade when moving the HiCap DR from the Superline to the 282. Free upgrade! :blush: (Possibly a downgrade of the Superline, but the time will come for a Supercap DR)

2 Likes

I really had a quite a 2023 for upgrades, mostly unplanned. In chronological order:

1. REL S/510 subs (pair, to replace a pair of R-328)
  2. Lyra Atlas Lambda SL cartridge
  3. Monarch Systems Ultra Carbon TC-40 Record Clamp
  4. Degritter Mk II ultrasonic cleaner (replacing a broken Audio Desk)
  5. Clearaudio Innovation turntable (sold my Ovation, but kept the 9" Universal arm)
  6. Clearaudio 12" Universal tonearm (for a dual tonearm TT)
  7. Clearaudio Professional Power 24V LPS for turntable
  8. Naim Audio/AV Options Z-Plug 470Ω loading plug (for my Naim Superline)
  9. Lyra Atlas Lambda Mono cartridge (for the 2nd tonearm)
  10. HRS R3X Isolation base for turntable
  11. Added dedicated mains on a new service subpanel.

I may still get another 12" Universal tonearm, to replace the 9" Universal I have. I might also change the TC-40 Record Clamp to a Clearaudio Innovation Ebony clamp.

6 Likes

I just might extend 2023 to forever :grinning:.

I moved my 272/XPS DR/250 DR to NC 222/300/250, converting my other pastime interest into the capital to deliver the change.

And, with the exception of the dodgy 300 Burndy connections to the 222, discussed elsewhere by myself and others, I find myself wholly delighted by the transformative experience. Which is most fortunate as I certainly could not fund a further move to the 300 Series, now or indeed in my lifetime :innocent:. It’s nice to be contented.

All that remains is to connect my Sony UDP with a suitable digital or optical interconnect to play the occasional silver disc and I believe I’m done.

Wishing everyone here a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year, may we all continue to enjoy listening to the music and each other here.

ATB, J

8 Likes

First ‘upgrade’ was more of a DIY development journey. Single driver FR open baffle > augmented by 2 x bass drivers + active low passing > addition of 1 x 15 inch OB woofer > 2 x 15 inch OB woofers. Eventually the whole 4 baffle system being driven by 5 channels of amplification resulting in a very big, powerful and live sound.

Main system wasn’t being used much at all with the above sounding so good and therefore in protest the resident amplifier gave up. A substitute amp + experimenting with different speakers demonstrated the hidden potential, therefore an XS3 now drives the system very effectively. I think that will have to suffice for quite a long time!