2023 Upgrades Complete

2023 was a year of major changes and a huge step forward overall:

• Establishment of a dedicated listening room
  • installing dedicated mains
  • installation of room acoustic treatment (GIK Acoustics)
  • Naim Fraim light (+ some additional glass bottoms) instead of sideboard
  • CDT 6000 replacing my older Vincent CD player
  • Nait 50 + ND5XS2 as replacement for Uniti Atom

What a wonderful year…

14 Likes

That is a lovely looking set up

2 Likes

Similar to what I’ve done to fund my change this year! When I turned 50 I opened a second savings account to fund a sports car, driving a boring family car for so long takes its toll :grimacing: So I’ve been putting what I can into that, most going into our main savings account but things like work bonuses etc going into the ‘fun’ account. I started aiming at a Nissan 350Z, then as the years past and I thought that if I save a bit longer I could go to a 370Z, then as my disposable income went up over the past few years that went on to dreaming about a V8 Jag F-Type! However a few months ago things changed, health concerns caused a reevaluation, and the fact that the state of the roads here are dreadful, both potholes and traffic, I started to think I wouldn’t get to enjoy a car like that as much as I’d like to. Music gives me so much enjoyment almost everyday that it wasn’t such a hard decision in the end and I’m not regretting it … although it may be a wrench when I next see (and hear!) an F-Type drive past!

2 Likes

Mark - a friend had a F Type and I thought was a beautiful thing but then he took me out in it. I found it excruciatingly uncomfortable and a noise level way beyond what I could cope with. Turned out the same for him. He’s now got a Flat 6 Boxster, now that is superb.

5 Likes

Thanks Lindsay, that helped :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi frenchrooster,

Because my previous phonostage was mm.I needed an mc phonostage. I’ve changed everything at same time. However the upgrades have it all made magical. I would say that the tonearm, cartridge and phonostage are responsible. The Trampolin 2 and T kable won’t add a great deal. The Karousel didn’t do alot either.

The individual settings on the Tom Evans make no difference I can hear.

I needed a phono stage. I bought it blind and the system sounds great. It’s only by swapping in and out other phono stages that I can compare!

2 Likes

2023 upgrades are more of a final finishing off of some loose ends for the long haul into retirement… So,

XPS non DR to a PS555 for the NDX2.
Supercap non DR to a new SCDR for my 252.
252 and 300 all serviced.

The Linn will get the odd service and cartridge as required but my hifi journey is at an end. Phew!

6 Likes

Gone from two stacks of Fraim to one losing the 552/500 setup, sick of the room looking like a HiFi shop :frowning: and we all know the 500 needs a Fraim to perform at its best!

In comes the Nait 50 from the second setup but I’m not finished yet (I have a few days left before 2024 :grin:) with more changes this week to complete my final setup.

6 Likes

@stuart.ashen Glad to know you have reached the satisfied stage. I am not sure where I stand as this is first Naim system. I may only do minor upgrades when needed such as a new cartridge. So far I really like what I hear.

I would like to hear from others who see their current system as final.

There is a financial reality that lusting after a 500 system would mean a return to work for me so I am done!

So many here seem happy with a good source and integrated amp, some even downsizing to this end. If you like what you have there is no need to continue upgrading Jaybar.

2 Likes

@stuart.ashen getting into this unleashes my compulsive and perfection tendencies. For us the biggest change has been streaming. We never were able to hard-wire before now. WiFi sucks in our environment so we never had streaming until now. To my ears the system seems well balanced. Your suggestion to stop is a good one. Thanks.

4 Likes

Ain’t over until the fat lady sings :laughing:

4 Likes

@LindsayM i am interested in hearing from those who have ceased upgrading. Coy comments about fat ladies are both fat shaming and not responsive to my request.

1 Like

Help me please, that was self mockery, obviously far too nuanced. Okay I intended to get off, quite a few years ago, at CDX2/XPS/282/200/Dyna 1.8 but urm didn’t work out that way! As for the statement it’s a time honoured expression most often used in opera circles but also baseball. But now I know it’s on the banned list I’ll retire - disgracefully. Happy new year :grinning:

Edit: Suspending myself from my own thread, quite an achievement!

4 Likes
3 Likes

@PaulDavies I am sorry if I offended Lindsay and anyone else. Thanks.

I took no offence. A reminder that colloquialisms, especially colloquialisms that rely on cultural allusions, are like humour: they don’t translate very well.

2 Likes

I’ve been at my finished Classics system for 4 years now, and I don’t even lust for a 500 series upgrade. I have no desire to move to it. I consider it a rather diminishing return on the very expensive cost to upgrade.

6 Likes

Jos - you’re not in a bad place, like those Dynas!

1 Like

Yes. One for the digital section and one for the Analog section. I think it’s a bit redundant.

1 Like