250 vs 250 DR

Hello to everyone.
I went to my dealer’s place earlier this morning.
He sawed me a nac 282 & a nap 250 demo pristine condition.
I can give my Supernait 3 & get them in fantastic price.
The only thing bothers me is that the 250 isn’t DR.
How much will it cost me to make it DR???
Is the difference huge to go from sn3 to 282/250 non DR???
Is the difference huge between DR & non DR???
I already have the HiCap DR to feed the 282.

Unfortunately the DR upgrade is no longer available, so your only future path to DR would be to sell your 250 and replace it with a 250DR

1 Like

A 282/Hicap/250 is a lot more capable than a SN3 - as it should be given the new prices. How much difference it makes for you will depend on source, speakers, room, what you play and how often, and so on.

All 250s (unless very old and badly needing a service) are great amps, though most here prefer the modern DR versions at the margin. Most (including me) would also say that the gap between DR and non-DR 250s is a good deal smaller than the gap between SN3 and 25o, even non-DR.

Does that help?

7 Likes

The 250DR replaced the 250.2 in 2015, so this ‘pristine ex-demo’ non-DR amp is already quite old and will be due a service/recap quite soon. So the price should reflect this, unless a service has already been done.

3 Likes

I found the 250, 250.2 & 250DR to be quite different amps, with the 250DR easily trouncing its sluggish predecessor.

G

4 Likes

Other than their age both 282/250 have less than 100 hours of use.
So i suppose no service is needed for the next 7+ years.
Also my dealer is a really straight up guy & will handle anything if needed.

I think 7 years is rather optimistic. You should check the age of the amp by either asking the dealer or getting its serial number.

It’s rather odd to have an ex-demo non-DR 250 – maybe it’s second-hand rather than ex-demo? Surely, the dealer didn’t use a non-DR amp to sell 250DRs all those years since 2015…

1 Like

I recently DR-ed my 250, having upgraded from a NAP180 before that. The performance jump from 180 to 250.2 was much bigger than the DR upgrade. Its a good upgrade, but the 250.2 is still a fantastic amp and in my view well matched to the 282. Its got a very organic, controlled sound. The DR just added a bit more speed and transparency but I’d still be happy with the 250.2 if the upgrade hadn’t been available.

6 Likes

It all sounds very odd. If a seven year old 250 has less than 100 hours use, it’s been used for about one hour a month. Surely any Naim dealer would do a demonstration for more than an hour a month? The caps will wear out whether or not the amp has been used, so you are looking at recapping in a few years time. The 250 DR is very different to the 250.2, and the latter is not something I’d want. Just because something seems like a bargain doesn’t make it a sensible thing to buy.

You then have the issue that the Technics is only a £1,300 turntable and really not up to a 282/250. If it were me I’d keep the excellent SN3 and get a better TT.

2 Likes

You really seem to have a serious issue with my turntable friend.
Everytime i ask a question about anything,you refer to it.

And yes i already done my move to improve both my turntable & phono preamplifier.

If you really want to go for a 282/250DR in the not so distant future, maybe you can buy the 282 preamp and use it with the SN3 as poweramp. Meanwhile you locate, or save for, a 250DR.

I moved from a SN2 with HiCap Dr to 282/250DR and I’m happy with the move and in relation to my current sources. I never heard a 250 non DR so I can’t really say what the difference with DR or not is for the 250.

I take it that you did listen to the 282/250 at your dealers place to get a feeling for how it differs from the SN3?

2 Likes

Hungry halibut is correct

Use the money to buy a rega RP8 or a used lp12

Source first always applies

No point going to a 282 without a great source

1 Like

In my humble opinion Goldnote ph-10 & Technics sl1210g combination is a great source.
Yes some people do prefer direct drive tt’s.
Thank you.

PS I’m gonna get the 282/250 to my house next week to audition them in my place with my speakers ( ovator s-600).

4 Likes

All I can do is give my honest opinion in the hope of being helpful. If you don’t agree that’s fine, but my opinion won’t change. You just don’t front an £11,000 amplifier with a £1,300 turntable, whether Technics or something else. Then again, you don’t try to drive Naim Ovator 600s with a Supernait 3. It’s all back to front.

Its always good to have a demo especially at home. I hope it helps you decide what you want to do

1 Like

A beautiful, accurate & succinct summary.

2 Likes

Hi @Vaggoz - it looks like we all agree that 282/250 is a much better amp than SN3, though some rate DR more highly than others. However, even if you are a big fan of your source, you will be revealing a lot more.

My guess is that you will be back at the dealers talking turntables pretty soon if you get the 282/250.

If you definitely don’t wang multiple rounds of spending, then can you ask the dealer to dem your SN3 plus a markedly better source against your turntable plus 282/250? It would only mean taking at most 2 boxes to the shop…

1 Like

Isn’t it a £3,100 turntable? (+ cartridge)

G

The deck itself is £1,299, and as the deck is the most important part of the TT equation it’s questionable if it’s enough. That’s all. Would anyone run a Rega 6 with a 282/250 and say it’s balanced? Maybe they would. My Rega 10 sounds fantastic with a Supernait 3, and I’d take that over a P6 with 282/250 any day. But we are all different.

1 Like