250DR not quite doing it for me

As an experiment try disconnecting the Qutest and use the Naim streamer bare into the 282.

You might just prefer it!

2 Likes

True. I preferred the Qutest with the SN2, but I’ve not done the comparison with the 250. Will do

Just remember to let everything warm up as it will open up considerably.

1 Like

I’ve just swapped my 200 for a 250dr and was initially underwhelmed by the sound, it took a day or two for it to come alive and then the difference was amazing - so, it may be worth making sure you have given it a chance to settle in properly (if you haven’t done so already!)? For comparison, I have NDX2, XPSdr, 282, Hicap dr, B&W 804s. Good luck!

When I decided to upgrade from SN3 to 282/250DR I was underwhelmed by the sound and thought the cost not worth the gain.
It was only when I heard the 282 with a 300DR that I thought the upgrade worthwhile.
I think it proves how good the SN3 is that people aren’t overly impressed by the 250DR.

Not from what I have read on here over the years and not from my experience.

4 Likes

Well I think the forum is given over to hyperbole of praise. But I get your point. I think it is fairer to say, a fair few people simply found it didn’t work with their speakers. And that makes total sense. It sounds nothing like a 250.2. So dropping a DR in blind is total roulette.

I think it is an incredible amp, with the right speakers.

2 Likes

:ping_pong:Hi Stevot. I’ve been following this thread with interest as I’m on a similar path.

Currently ND5 XS2/SN2/BW702 now considering Hicap

My TT path was Sriver S, Mark V, Tenergy 05 What’s yours?

I’ll be interested to see if you stay with B&W and hope it works out well for you

Regards
John

I’m now grateful that I was offered such a poor part exchange price on the SN2 that I had to keep it (for now)

So long since I played I can hardly remember :-(. fingers crossed for May ??. Mk 5 to Sriver and then changed to TSP spin pips on the BH. Now I’ve got Joola Energy Green Power on the FH, that’s great fun (despite the 120% control and 110% power or some such marketing rubbish !!)

Fair enough, but my impression is that the vast majority of folk on here think that the 250DR is a significant improvement on the 250.2 (and on the 200), with those with the opposite view a small minority. This would imply that, assuming the 250 preference is speaker dependent, you would be very unlucky to have a speaker that played better with a 250.2 (or a 200), which is why I feel the OP’s issue is unlikely to be related to his speaker model.

I have not heard the 250.2 at home so have no axe to grind here. I am simply trying to narrow down the potential issues for the OP.

3 Likes

That might tell you something. No disrespect to SN2 owners but its power amp section is no match for a 250DR.

2 Likes

Taking the positives, thank heavens you kept it since the NAP250DR turned out to be such a mismatch with your B@Ws.

Added a 250DR to my SN2 (before adding a Hi-CapDR) as an excellently priced new one was available, and thought the same @NigelB - much better. When I later added an XPSDR to my CDX2 everything improved significantly too.

That’s a big assumption.

I wonder if the OP can borrow some other speakers to put this one to bed. I realise this would be a pain, and it is akin to comparing apples with oranges.

Seemed perfectly logical to me from his reported experience.

Edit: Typo, I meant B&Ws.

Sadly there’s no good way for me to try other speakers until dealers can reopen. I can wait

Maybe something wrong with the 250 dr. A dealer could come and help ? Or can you bring your 250 dr to the dealer ?

I understand.

Maybe you should start with the ‘low hanging fruit’ e.g. speaker positioning, sub integration/removal, cable dressing, removing the conditioner etc.

Then, as FR says, maybe you could borrow another 250DR from the dealer you bought yours from. That would at least take the ‘faulty 250DR’ theory out of the equation, or possibly solve the mystery.

Nigel,I’m saying the SN3 is so good it clouds the gap between it and the 250 DR. I found the need to move up to a 300DR to achieve a worthwhile improvement over the SN3

1 Like