250DR not quite doing it for me

I see. Have not heard the SN3 but it sounds like a great amp. The OP however has the SN2.

@frenchrooster if there really is the possibility of something being wrong with it then I will contact the reseller. Don’t know how they will respond since they deal with exclusively second hand and reconditioned equipment, but I’ll find out. If it weren’t for lockdown I could just drive over there, sigh :frowning:

1 Like

I have gone from SN2 to 272/250DR. I would say in terms of engagement this has been a massive upgrade for me; I still use the same source (CDS3). Another bonus is the vast improvement in low-volume listening.
Apologies if this sounds patronising but is the NACA5 in the right direction from the amp to speaker and the ridge section of the cables connected to the positive connectors. Possible that the 250DR would be more sensitive to this if the cables are set up incorrectly.

@stevot Hi, I suspect this is the pre stage in the SN2 being not really up to the job. Can your dealer ship you out a 282 to try?

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Ignore all of that, should have realised you had the 282, thought you were using the SN as a pre.

With apologies,

Lindsay

@formelyknownasMoog not patronising, always worth checking these things. I have, and it’s fine :slight_smile:

Really sorry to hear about this Steve. This should have been a resounding success.

If it’s one of those second hand sellers you bought from , did they offer a warranty at all ?

Otherwise worst case scenario get your Naim dealer to compare it with their own 250dr, or otherwise they may send onto Naim.

This should be leaps and bounds more capable than the power amp in your SN2. Doesn’t make sense.

Nothing worse than spending a considerable sum of money and feeling deflated.

I really hope this works out for you.

1 Like

NigelB - I’m with you it’s a fabulous amp. I’m running it with a 252/SCDR with a 40th anniversary LP12 Klimax

It’s a beautifully balanced system with the 250DR pumping away and it does it for me

Yes can go further up the Naim ladder where I have been before but I’m really enjoying the music pouring out of this combo

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks @roda, I’m sure I’ll get it sorted

One thing I would say Steve is I use Powerlines on my kit except for the NAPSC.
I did try taking the powerline off of the 250DR and putting it on the NAPSC. At first I thought I preferred it but at the expense of slightly controlled bass.
I can confirm having now put it back on the 250DR that is where it’s staying. Makes a huge difference to bass and is much tighter also.

Don’t know if you have any Powerlines but worth throwing one on the 250 if you do and haven’t already.

:+1:t2:

I don’t, but something to bear in mind, cheers. I’ve just the Powerline lite it came with

1 Like

You can eventually prefer the SN2 power amp with your speakers and room interaction.
But in all cases the 250 dr , with 282, should give better results at low volumes vs the 282/ SN2. At least my strong feeling .
So something is wrong, the connecting, a default cable, or the 250 dr.

Source first and foremost ,thats where the music comes from
plus amp may need serviced
Mike

The HiCap might need servicing. Also try another set of speakers (any) to see if you can detect any variance.
My recently purchased 250DR (new), and s/h 282, took at least 3 weeks to settle in. I also used a spare set of B&W AV speakers to compare with my ATCs - and I then upgraded my speakers - a much better outcome than if I had just kept what I had.
I then found a nice, SuperCap2 (2008 un-serviced) which gave more bass and bass control.
I am using a Graham’s Hydra on the Supercap and 250. The interconnects are Naim Lavender, or equivalent, on the analogue side of my system. Very pleased with the outcome.

Assuming it’s not broken and you put your 250DR in your home set-up and you don’t like it, then you just don’t like it IMO.

2 Likes

So many things to consider. I’ve ordered a replacement for the main conditioner, and will experiment with speaker positioning after I get that. I’ll get there eventually :slight_smile:

I wonder if it is down to amp and speaker matching. A few years ago I home demoed the SN2 with my then speakers neat motive 2. I found the combination didn’t work for me as it sounded overly dynamic in an unnatural way, quite fatiguing. The original motive 2s are quite energetic speakers and moving to 272/250dr seemed to balance things more to my liking. 250 still dynamic and propulsive with lots of detail but a bit more refined and natural.
Maybe your speakers just need a bit more oomph to get them going??

What is the power conditioner? In general it works badly with Naim, sucking life and dynamics.

I don’t think replacing one mains conditioner with another is a good idea. Generally, conditioners don’t play well with Naim gear, as FR says.

I would suggest a good quality unswitched distribution box (star earthed if possible), like the Wireworld Matrix 2 is the best approach. Cheap distribution boxes rarely do the job. Last time I looked the Matrix 2 was £125, and there are more costly options like the MusicWorks Reflex Ultra G3 mains block, which, IMV, really moves thing up a gear. But you don’t need to spend such sums, the Matrix 2 is fine, I have 2 of them.

2 Likes

As said above, be careful with power conditioners. If your not doing it already, at least try the 250DR plugged directly into the wall outlet. As far as actual power conditioning goes, the Audioquest Niagara series seems to be one that most find to be excellent with Naim & not rob the kit of power/dynamics, etc.

I have never used the SN series but I have gone from 150x, to 200 to 250DR (some swaps with 202 pre & some with 282 pre) & every time there was an easily noticeable upgrade in performance. Yes, sonically they had slightly different presentations but I preferred each one better as I moved up. I will also say the bass improved in both quality & quantity with each move up the ladder with the 250DR having significantly more vs the 200, so again not having any direct experience but this seems very odd that the 250DR would be bass light vs the SN2.

1 Like