250DR or stick

Cheers :+1:t3: It’s not it’s permanent home

1 Like

Two things leap out. Both already observed. You will get much more from your system with any kind of one box on one shelf system in comparison to your current setup. Also, your sources are consistently a level below your amplification. In no way have you heard what your current amplification can do. I’d start with shelving and then look at your sources. Much enjoyment to be wrung out of your current set up before anything on the amp side needs shifting out.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, it’s gone in :+1:t3:

I currently have 282/200/Hicap which is a significant improvement on 202/200/Hicap. Bearing in mind Joppie has a vinyl source as well in his position I would go for a 282

I have 272 and 250, the XPS is the game changer with them imho

1 Like

Hi there every one new member here just following the discussion on upgrade paths. Over the last year I was thinking of changing my cartridge luck had it that linn introduced the new bearing for the lp12. In real life I now have a new cartridge amps and speakers it reminded me of the old mantra if you don’t have the best source you can’t improve only change characteristics I know that sounds old testament to digital users but I have built up my system from 1988 and the way I have done it has saved me thousands of pounds and much heart ache of wondering if I need that 5 star rated product you read about every month. Half of my system i could never have afforded new but second hand and upgrades left me with a system north of 50.000 new for the amount of 10.000 spent over 30 odd years i remember thinking 530 pounds was a lot for the deck back then and true the only original bits are the top plate and wooden sleeve but 5 grands worth of upgrades has left me with something close to 17 grand to replace so remember the other mantra a pet is for life

1 Like

Are you sure about this?

Have you compared the 272 to ND5XS/202/HiCap?

Yes, I am very sure about this. Obviously the usual caveats apply regarding system synergy, sample variation, correct setup etc. That aside, what my ears tell me is that there is no way a 272 will sound better than ND5XS/202/Hicap. Given the price difference, and Naim’s long history of optimising systems by isolating components in separate boxes, I can’t see why anyone would be surprised by this.
As I said, add an XPSDR to the 272 and it’s a different matter.

I’ve never heard ND5XS/202/Hicap so will take your word for it.

And, yes, as separates and as costing more, they should sound better.

What to do depends on what kind of system the OP is trying to build.

Not talking streaming here as i’ve yet to try it, but i just bought a 272 to go with my 250DR. I’m using a CDS3/XPS2 into the 272/250DR, and compared to the 202/Hicap2/250DR combo i had at home last week, the 272/250DR sounds much much nicer and more together. As soon as the 272 was plugged in this afternoon i kind of knew it wasn’t going back to my dealer friend. All of this into Titan 606, a really great combo, and shows as ever you have to try in your own system and room.

2 Likes

Hello joppie. I really like this! Good skills. May not be perfect for setup but you make your own stamp. I had a 202 with 200 then 250 not dr. I much like more the 200 with 202 as 250 makes all seem quite dark and less playfull. 200 is good quick amp. I agree that in my history a 282 with 200 is better than 202 with 250. So maybe save for 282 first. I had 200 with 282 and was a really excellent pair. All the bestJamu

272 solo is good. 272 with a power supply is a very different beast. 272 versus the 202 etc. is a matter of taste. 272 with a -power supply. Only one winner.

Before purchasing 272/250dr I home dem’d a 202/200 with my Cd5xs into Ndac as a source. I then tried the 272/250 and preferred the latter. Is it better? I just preferred the 272/250 sounds more open, faster and more dynamic. But all things are relative, room, speakers, musical tastes etc play a part.

1 Like

Am I the only one seeing the random VU meters on that Naim black box?

Seems dodgy.

1 Like

What VU meters?

Look at the photos.

It’s a Naim tuner?

Nope.

Was just kidding Nigel

A Chinese Naim box?