252/250-users, whats your chosen speaker?

Hi, I used to have 252/250.2 with Dynaudio Confidence C2 and before that 282/SC/250.2 with the same speakers. I’m not 100% sure I have the correct understanding of fruity but I found that especially the combination cdx2/xps2 it was a bit to warm and bass rich for my taste. This I cured with replacing the cdx2 with a cds3, but also considered cd555ps which also helped in my situation. I believe this is a balance issue rather than 252/250 phenomena, and yes the speakers (and room / placement etc) are obviously important but it might be other ways to solve the issue.
My first try would be to borrow a 250DR as HH suggest, my limited impression is that it has a different tonal presentation than 250.2.

The list of speakers that people use and enjoy with a 250 amp is too long to be meaningful!

What to look out for? Don’t look at speakers that are rather difficult to drive . . . that like a lot of current . . . Those abound, and some dealers will tell you “they’ll be fine.” When the amp isn’t really up to the speakers, you never get out of said speakers what they are meant to, and can, deliver.

The local hifi store offered a pair of demo-used Dynaudio Contour 20.
I couldnt resist.
Have heard they in the store last year and was impressed.
Are they a good match With the 252/250-2?
Time will tell.

252/SCDR/250DR…I have ProAc D30DS speakers
Very nice sound…everyone seems to love ProAc speakers here it seems

J

1 Like

I heard some D28 with a Supernait 2 and thought they were rubbish.

We really liked the D30R when it came out. It has since been tweaked into the D30RS I think.

Best regards, BF

I also heard the d28 and thought the same. The bass was too punchy, the sounds was not balanced at all. The D30’s are quite a step up.

Room acoustics matter as well. Mine sound very good here, but everyone has different ears

A great match, having had the combo myself. I just moved up to 300 and Confidence 20, but still waiting on speakers.

I use Pmc fact 3. Fast and great for a small room. Detail pace . I would think the bigger models will give the extra bass as well

Feeding the 252 250 Ndac 555 ps Moon Mind Streamer.

I have PMC Twenty-22s on a 250DR/252/SC-DR, plus a nDac/555 My set up is in a smallish room, and these stand-mounters sound good at low volumes and they aren’t fussy about placement, which were key factors in the choice. They sound pretty good at high volumes too! Better, imo, than Twenty-23s - more forward sound.
If I had more room, I’d like to try PMC Facts.

1 Like

I have a 252/250.2 and am very happy with a recent new pair of Shahinian Arcs. Not very hi-fi though…

I use Ovators S-400.
First with 250DR now 300DR.

They sound great with both amps :smile:

1 Like

Happy using Focal Kanta No. 2 with 252/SCDR/250DR/NDX2/TPXPS.

282 hcdr/250 dr so not exactly the same . I bought harbeth m30.1 based on reviews primarily , as it was almost impossible for me to go out and demo speakers,much less arrange in-home demo. They have paired wonderfully , from 202/200 to present system. Are they perfect ? No , but they do most things very well and that oft touted midrange is in these speakers. Fwiw - I’m much more mobile now, but not planning any great changes.

1 Like

Definitely a good match with the Contour 20s.

Naim Ovator S400 with 252/250. Very very happy. (NDX2/XPSDR)

1 Like

I bet your new pairing will sound good.

Phil

I use Focal Kanta 2 with the 252/SuperCap DR … replaced the 250Dr a few months ago with a 300Dr. Source is NDX-2/XPSDr. The Kanta’s are very well matching the system

When I had a dealer demo some three years ago to purchase a new system started with 282/Supercao dr/250 dr and PMC 20 23 speakers I ended up with a pair of Spendor D7s.

Speakers are such a personal choice it is very difficult to recommend a demo is a must.

I have just heard the new Audiovector r3, with the ndx and Aavik amplification. Very very good and a big improvement over the already good sr3 speakers. Should really be added to the speaker usual suspects list.
Claus