252 NOT boring!

Just wanted to make this clear, once and for all as the authority I am, being Lucifer and all.

This pre is fantastic! It took a while for it to really show its merits and some tweaking with cables. Or maybe. I don’t really know how it would have sounded now with the Powerlines. I might have been too fast in getting them replaced with other cables. But today is the first day I feel really content. Before it has been good at some things but not really convincing but today it is really good with both sources. NDS through Hiline and record deck through lavender rca - din.

One thing that got the system a little bit higher but an important bit is the recently installed cable lifters but even without them sound is very good

Oh and it’s been 8 days since I tried the 82 again and I haven’t really let the system bed in since, trying interconnects like a crazy person, but also getting to know my new system.

14 Likes

Its a beast of a pre, i love mine. its super detailed and refined. its a bit spesh but as you say does need a bit of setting up

4 Likes

Superb amp.

2 Likes

I loved mine when I had it.

1 Like

We have always loved our 252.

Back in the day we had 272/XPSDR/250DR before we moved on.

The whole driver for our current system was hearing the uplift from 272/XPSDR/250DR to ND5XS2/282/HCDR/250DR.

In a dealer’s room it just sounded better and led us to where we are.

4 Likes

Yes a superb pre-amp and a great stepping stone to the Nac52, but you’d realised that hadn’t you :joy:

2 Likes

The Nac 280 was a prototype ?

Edited for ear users

3 Likes

:smile:

2 Likes

For ear Yoshino users you wanted to say ?

1 Like

Edited for Ear Yoshino users.

C’est bon?

2 Likes

Why does it need setting up? I had 252 for many years and I am very satisfied.

1 Like

because its super revealing i would assume but so does a 552. im no expert, just what i found

1 Like

The 252 seems to be the pickiest with set-up and sources. It prefers being on a Fraim with the Burndy well relaxed. Even dressing the SNAIC cable the right way (close or touching the Burndy) makes a difference.

It can also be a bit too smooth for some tastes. Needs a lively and high quality source.

1 Like

Boring with a none DR SC… but with a SCDR its superb.

1 Like

Parfait

Yes, it’s is really good.

1 Like

I’ll add to the applause.
Unlike 282, I can happily live with 252 - I just want to listen to more music with it, and that’s important as my listening time is limited.

NAP 252 - a very liveable pre.

3 Likes

is that the main difference between the dr and 2? when used with a 252?

Many uears ago I borrowed a 252/SC from the local Naim dealer on an extended home demo, I kept my existing 82/HC as I found the presentation of the 252 not to my liking, harsh word but it was dull.

17 or so years on I listened again to a 252 this time with a SCDR wow what a difference completely different pre amp I ended up buying the 252DR. Okay I now own a 552DR due to an irresistible deal but I could easily live with a 252DR.

2 Likes