252 or NDX2

Your anecdote was good. I think my silly pun turned the fans away.

To steer things back on track, I hope to have a 252 and an NDX2 coming soon(ish). The 252 & SuperCap, both acquired used, are in various stages of servicing / shipping, while the NDX2 currently exists only on my dealer’s waiting list.

Most likely I’ll be running 272 / 252 / 250 initially, which might seem a curious ‘humpback’ kind of setup. OTOH, some say the pre-amp is part of the source, so it might sound decent – especially with the XPSDR on the 272.

3 Likes

I added a 252 to my 272 system and it was a very nice uplift indeed. Doubt you’ll be disappointed.

1 Like

Would love to hear you thoughts on 252/272+XPSDR/250 when it’s arrived :ok_hand:

Sure, will report my impressions. I’m curious to what extent a 252 will sharpen focus on the 272’s strengths and (possibly) also reveal its limitations.

I too would recommend the NDX2, having auditioned both ND5XS2 through a remarkably well run in 552/500 (appropriate to my Audio Note set up). The ‘5XS2 really didn’t have a clue, and no way near the quality I’m used to on a daily basis! Yes good at its level I suppose. It the NDX2 was immediately on a broad level with that musical experience. I run mine bare but may well add a Naim PS (preferably 555PS DR in due course. As for non Naim PS I would be careful as I believe it would void your warranty but stand to be corrected on that score. As they are specifically designed to go together surely it is illogical not to use a Naim PS… there are surely used ones out there…? All I know is my NDX2 fully run in is highly musical and fully commensurate with its price tag…others here will be able to better advise on amplifiers but my guess is a 252 level pre would make much of the NDX2‘S innate abilities :blush::blush:

1 Like

Horses for courses, I suppose. Interesting that the XS2 ‘didn’t have a clue…etc., etc.’ Might as well just tell people that have the unit that their gear sucks and quality is nowhere near yours and your refined ears. Jeez. :roll_eyes:
I don’t mind opinions at all. Declarative ones is another matter altogether and doesn’t really help anyone.

2 Likes

Also, when something goes wrong with a third-party PSU, you are on your own. You can’t expect Naim to take care of a broken product because your Teddy cuddled a bit too harshly…

To be honest, I am curious about how the :teddy_bear:, for instance, sounds… But I am suspicious about claims like “doesn’t need servicing like Naim”… How is this possible — a PSU not going downhill after a decade or two of use? Maybe no need of service is code for “you won’t notice when it sounds sh*** because you don’t know better”… :man_shrugging:

…upgrade to the NDX 2 without the PowerSupply and let it settle in for a few months and I believe you will find it is a lovely upgrade. Next add a XPS DR power supply and you will find another wonderful uplift. That was my experience I when I upgraded to the bare NDX 2 then six months later added the XPS DR Power Supply. …of course my room, my system, my ears.

Others have had the same experience… and of course some have not. I am fortunate to have a dealer near by and has worked with me allowing me to demo equipment prior to purchase.

Good luck with your decision!

4 Likes

Hmmm. The 272 is a preamp, so how do you use it with a 252?

They were saying this before the Naim DRs came out because their stuff didn’t need recapping. But they’re still saying it on their website, even though in other places they acknowledge the DR has changed this need.

I had the Teddy PS with my CDX2, and it’s compatible with the Naim streamer. The streamer was a demo and already broken in, and when I hooked up the Teddy PS it did improve the sound in my opinion. As much as a Naim PS on the ND5XS? I doubt it. And I doubt I’ll use it when I get the NDX2.

I’m planning to do just that, although it will likely be longer than six months before I get the PS. One thing that makes me hesitate is the question of whether Naim streamers will hold their value as much as their other gear. E.G., earlier in this thread someone advised not to buy a used Naim streamer because the technology has changed so much. What will another five years in streaming technology bring?

I took the “didn’t have a clue” as using hyperbole to emphasize the difference versus being truly condescending.

1 Like

Yes, technology changes but the sound of the music will not if you enjoy it. Streamers from all manufactures will be constantly changing.

I keep laptops and desktop workstations for years and do not keep up with the latest and greatest. I will be happy to listen to my NDX 2 for years to come, the sound is wonderful!

…there is always the chance that it may need repair at some point and I would expect NAIM to support the product and hopefully they have parts inventory in place. As some folks have seen with CD players, parts are no longer available and at some point that will most likely happen to all HiFi products. Going from analogue to digital certainly changes the equation but I am hoping for a long life out of my streamer.

Good luck with your decision!

1 Like

It has a a line out, so as a streaming source I suppose

1 Like

I think this is where the new range of streamers vastly improve over the previous generation.
The previous generation still work fine, ok maybe they don’t have all the current bells and whistles but they still perform, and still seriously well considering the platform is some 11 years old now.
The new range have so much more headroom and memory over the old range with much scope for future changes with whatever the future may hold for many years yet…

I have similar concerns, to be honest. That is why I think keeping streamer and DAC separated is a good idea. But then I didn’t listening to myself and bought a 2go for my Hugo 2 – for more convenience when away from home for work… But at least I got the 2go for a good price… Actually the price was the reason why I got weak… :blush:

However, for local streaming, a 9 years old Nds is still better than a brand new Ndx2.
All depends if you have to stream online or only local, as me for example.

1 Like

I have noticed used NDX2’s slipping in price tbh.

I have at present like another in this thread a 272 as a streamer into a preamp (282) with an XPS DR.

I also have a Hugo 2 DAC and am now considering ditching not only the 272 but also the XPS DR and purchasing an NDX2 or maybe even something cheaper with the proceeds.

My instinct tells me the NDX2 with Hugo 2 will outperform the NDX 2, XPS DR combo - and nothing in this thread is suggesting otherwise. Certainly the 272/Hugo 2 to 282 in my estimation beats the 272+XPS DR into 282.

An NDX2 just for the streaming transport seems like a huge waste

2 Likes

Not sure but multiple posters have claimed the NDX2 with Hugo 2 bring about considerable improvements over a bare NDX2.