252 or NDX2

That was a thought that had crossed my mind, though I don’t know if the transformer makes much difference as opposed to the ‘soundy’ bits. Still, I’ve never experienced burn in giving the sort of change I experienced. Anyway, it was an interesting little experiment.

As I mentioned the other day in another thread, I traded in my NDX for an NDX2 plus XPS2DR the day before yesterday. As many others in this thread have suggested my thinking was source first rather than upgrading my amplification combo. That will have to wait anyway until my home office which doubles as listening room has been properly furbished with book cases and curtains (I moved house a few months ago) and will probably go hand in hand with auditioning a new pair of loudspeakers. So I guess this is yet another vote for advising the OP to go for the source plus PS.

I am sure a few Chord converts are sitting on the sidelines, wondering if they should pipe up. I will, adding a Chord Qutest to the ND5XS is another option I would consider. Even an ND5XS2 with a Qutest is much cheaper than an NDX2 with an XPSDR or 555DR. It might be worth a demo before plopping down 10k, and 14 K for a 555Dr…at least that is what they cost in Canada.

4 Likes

I like the thinking of @NO-QUARTER. I did this very thing, combining an ND5 XS2 with the Chord Qutest. It is a stellar combination, period. I do, however, have a HiCap DR powering my SN2, so maybe not the fairest assessment. The XS2 cannot, of course, have a PSU added-on, but my Qutest is powered by a Paul Hynes linear power supply to great effect. All of this is embarrassingly under the above-mentioned combination of NDX2 and either PSU. Most here would say the NDX2 is still way better, but I’m not certain I can debate that point for or against with 100% certainty. I auditioned both streamers, and with a competent DAC the XS2 gets close or even SQ-wise, IMO. This is with a SN2 or SN3, not a 252-level piece of kit, so there’s that. Again, my opinion, and just something else to consider if you feel you don’t need a screen.

2 Likes

I concur with the comments above.

I have an AURALiC Aries Mini which feeds a Chord Qutest going to a Nait 2 and it is a fantastic system. The Qutest really brings something special.

Buy the Qutest secondhand, see if you like it and if not you will be able to sell it for more of less the same price you paid for it.

Huge saving if it all works out. But…… you might then be wondering……

2 Likes

Chord is a great source bit it sounds quite different to a Naim source

I have voted with my money… For chord digital sources

But still a Naim source is very musical

1 Like

That’s something to think about. the NDX2 with a PS is a hefty sum.

2 Likes

You really need to put all this to the test for yourself. I’m doubtful about upgrading digital sources simply because they can become somewhat obsolete very quickly. Equally some question the benefits that a 252 brings over a 282 although personally I think it is a considerably more refined listen.

1 Like

Personally, I think it’s worth trying the NDX2 without an additional power supply. It’s a stunning performer in its own right.

3 Likes

Yes, in this thread someone advised against buying a used streamer for this reason. However, given that the technology is older now, this might not occur so quickly. And, hey, my streamer can still last me a long, long time if I so choose. I do hope I can put these suggestions to the test for myself, but circumstances make auditioning in person difficult, albeit not impossible.

I’ll go that route first if I purchase one. The combined cost is too steep for one shot.

Not to get off topic, but do you think a hi cap will make a worthwhile difference on my 202/200dr with napsc? Just asking since you are talking about ps.

Yes, I would definitely go for a Hicap if you have the space. The preamp PSU in a 200DR does a pretty good job, but it’s not as good as the beefy dual rail supply in a Hicap, and doesn’t have the benefit of decoupling you get from putting it in a separate box. I’d bet that even an older non-DR Hicap in good condition would improve on a 200DR, but the HicapDR is really the one to get. Subject to demo, of course, as I can only tell you what my own ears prefer.

1 Like

I already have a space reserved for a hi cap dr just need to save and buy one now😁

1 Like

NDX was a huge upgrade over ND5 on my SN2. Can’t imagine buying a 252 with ND5 as source.

Yes. I’ve got the same set up as you.

All this talk about upgrading brings me back to how my uncle listens to his music. He has over 12,000 LPs and 4000 CDs. Until several years ago his system included a forty-year old direct-drive turntable, purchased in the late 70s for around $400.00. He upgraded everything about twenty years ago, spending about $7k in my estimate. He listens to his music while sitting at a desk, his speakers about six feet to the left of the desk, three feet apart from each other, and placed a couple of inches from the wall. When I’ve brought up topics like soundstage, imaging, room treatment, more accuracy or anything else we talk about on this site, he just looks at me with a blank expression and says, “I love my music.” And he does. He spends hours more than I do every week listening to his “tunes,” and I listen a lot. Of course, he’s retired; I’m not. Now, if I had his system, my musical interest would be mostly relegated to live music only, I’m sure. But sometimes, when I’m thinking of upgrading, I remind myself of how he’s enjoyed his music so much and for so long without paying a lot of attention to the hobby end of having a music system. …But then I think, “Oh, it could be even better if I just had…”

15 Likes

Aha, I believe this is known as heard immunity, whereby a listener simply appreciates the musical information flowing through his/h̶e̶r̶ (nah, definitely his) ears without fretting over arcane details of the presentation…

<I’ll get me coat>

4 Likes

Nice pun. I’ll remember it.

Well, I sure killed this thread with that anecdote, didn’t I.

2 Likes