252/sc -> 552dr

The 252 SUPERCAP is slower sounding in comparison to the 552dr. The grip, dynamic impact and leading edges are more prominent on the 552DR but it’s the organisation of the sound that is most impressive to me.

You don’t have anything to worry about. If you’re loving the 252 now there isn’t an album out there that wouldn’t impress you more on the 552dr.

Congrats.

3 Likes

That’s got to do with the volume pot used. Naim choose this volume solution to any other for the classic series after careful listening tests so I’m happy to live with the low level imbalance.

1 Like

Loving all the feedback. It’s not making the wait any easier though :weary:

That said as I alluded to last night something has just clicked in my current system. Could be the KS-1 speaker cable burning in, or maybe it’s all in my head.

It is your 252 fearing the arrival of the 552 and bucking up its ideas. I would have a strong word with the 252 and tell it it has had its chance!

Don’t worry, you ain’t heard nothing yet!

5 Likes

:joy:

it’s not going down without a fight

2 Likes

What an exciting thread! Thanks everyone.
I just ordered a 552 to replace the 282/Hi Cap DR I currently have to beat this week’s price rise. Hopefully I’m in for an even bigger jump than @Stu299. I’m not expecting to see my new pre for a good few months yet though, so looking forward to the reports of Stu’s pre.

4 Likes

Hi There
Just upgraded fro 252 to 552 and everything said here is true.
Better sound stage it just fills the room. Tighter base.And yes you definitely hear more. Using Rega Isis CD Player with a Technics 1200G record Deck.
Enjoy
Steve

3 Likes

The thing that has always struck me is how precisely music stops and starts with the 552. When my dealer brought one round for demo he insisted we listened to Start by The Jam to demonstrate this…. I was sold. I’ve never missed my 252.

2 Likes

Actually the 552 pots are (or should be) most closely selected (Richard once said so) and in the recent poll thread it was affected the least. [Edit: Wrong - the poll thread was about the fitting of the balance knob] But yeah, some are nevertheless. Of course many other factors like speaker sensitivity and so on that decide whether it’s a practical problem with a given pot

In my experience with a new 252, after a pot change that fixed the practical problem it got a bit better over time as well

Not all pots are the same. I don’t know what 40 dB is on the analog volume dial, but usually it happens only close to the left stop of the volume pot

It’s 10 to 1, I’m listening to OJ Borg on R2 at a low volume; enough to hear it properly but not enough to bother anyone else in the house. If you can picture the speakers a foot or so either side of the hearth everything is between the l/h speaker and the fireplace.

I’m sure some people are happy with that as it works fine at higher volumes. I’m not. I’d expect an expensive stereo to work at what some non hifi people would describe as normal volume. I don’t really care that Naim use a pot that doesn’t work across the useable volume range. It’s dire that a preamp worth £21k doesn’t work at late night volumes.

4 Likes

The thing that has always struck me is how precisely music stops and starts with the 552.

Very true also I believe this is also helped by the ND555 low level listening is truly superb.

1 Like

I think you should talk to Naim support. As mentioned before, my 252 also had the problem at levels that I consider normal late at night (it started at 8 o’clock on the volume dial with 90 db sensitivity speakers). After the pot change it occurs only at much lower levels that I don’t use, and probably nobody will (except with very sensitive speakers maybe).

I understand you aren’t happy, neither was I (and the demo 252 that I tried before I bought mine didn’t exhibit the issue at all, so no way for me to know), but at this point, if you want it solved, only Naim can

Apologies for the delay but waited until the quiet of the evening to test the position. I sit 3m away from this. 35 db averag is registered on my ipad app and I couldn’t go any lower without losing the sound.

Sound is centred.

Is it something that changes over time as the pot works mostly in that lower segment?

Ah I see, dB measured in an app. I always go by imaginary “o’ clock” positions on the volume dial. The thing is that each pot is different. Naim grades them and the 552 is supposed to get the best, Richard once wrote in some post about this much-discussed issue.

As mentioned in a post above, my new 252 started to get unbalanced at 8 o’clock, which with 90 dB speakers is not all that low volume. Was super annoying because at night I had to rebalance it with the balance knob, which changes the overall volume again. A right faff. On the other hand, the dealer’s demo 252 was perfectly balanced until very close to the left stop of the volume dial, and unbalance only at such a low volume level that nobody will use for real.

So it went back, pot exchanged by the distributor to “the best selected one we have available”, and then it was much better and didn’t bother me any more.

But to answer your question, yes, it then seemed to improve further over time as well.

In any case, I think this is the canonical post that lays out what is considered OK and what isn’t:

1 Like

Hey @bruss nice pic ! How far are your loudspeakers away from each other? Unless I am wrong, it seems the speakers are too close toneach other, not?

Iver

Hi, the speakers are constrained by the only wall I have to put them against. The distance centre to centre is 2 metres. That wall section is fortunately both in the middle of the length of the room, and 3 metres opposite a similar short unbroken section of wall where I can position a listening seat ( a comfy sofa). It works surprisingly well.

1 Like

Just heard my 552 is booked in for the service any day so guessing it’ll only be a few weeks now :grimacing:

1 Like

552 arrived this morning. Checked it over and it’s beautiful :heart_eyes:

Pristine other than a tiny speck of silver showing through the paint on one of the cases less than 0.5mm diameter on one box. It’s near the back so won’t be seen in the rack anyway. Really no more than a speck though and I’m pretty fussy.

Freshly serviced by Naim. Net cost upgrading from 252/SC including the service was £3.5k.

Can’t wait to fire it up later :grimacing:

7 Likes

3.5K? You managed to sell the used 252/SC for just ~2K less than the used 552 cost you? (Assuming service 1.5K). How did you do that and can you teach me?

4 Likes