252/sc -> 552dr

Invisible repair; satin black enamel paint applied using a tiny drop with a cocktail stick.

2 Likes

Congrats. Enjoy! I will control my envy👍

It was a really good deal on the 552 and service.

1 Like

Must have been. I’d do it for £3.5k !! Well done :clap:

1 Like

It must have been, and a good deal on the 252/SC too

Ok the numbers don’t account for the loss on what I originally paid for the 252/SC but hey ho

1 Like

Ah OK, got you

Yes - I was wondering the other day how one should actually calculate costs when trading in. I certainly tend to discount entirely the original cost, although I suppose there is the cost benefit of having the item for a period before trade-in. Anyhow your costings make the jump from 252 to 552 sound very tempting, if it was possible to reproduce them.

Enjoy your 552!

I’m going to try the criss cross burndy stacking method whilst it’s all apart, see if it helps.

Go with whichever calculation looks best to your wallet :laughing:

1 Like

Self deception is a wonderful human ability!

Stu…… you just bought a ticket for a very long and thoroughly sordid joyride in the 552DR.

Wish you many many hours of blissful, foot-tapping music.

Set it up, right.

Cheers

Phil P

1 Like

Same for you Jim!

Cheers

Thanks Phil. First impressions are positive. Not night and day versus the 252, but a bigger and richer sound. More detail too. No doubt it will benefit from settling in and burn-in but so far so good :sunglasses:

2 Likes

If you haven’t already… from what I know, keep your 552 head unit on the left of the stack, well away from that huge transformer in the DR power supply on the right. Makes quite an uplift in system’s performance assuming the rest of your system is sorted nicely, and cable dressed.

I have never been a fan of vertical stacks with the head units above their supplies.

Cheers and enjoy it even more, 4-6 months on when it’s really bedded in.

My rgds

Phil P

2 Likes

It’s stacked brain and brawn :+1:

Cable dressing is compromised though. Not enough height to keep them off the floor and I have to push it less than a cat-width up to the wall. They do love those wires :cat:

8 Likes

Just confirmed that my new LP12 top plate has arrived at Signals, so that and Karousel go in on Tuesday. While I’m there I’ll be listening to the 252/552 comparison. :thinking:

1 Like

Be careful.

The 252 is wonderful and brought me a huge amount of enjoyment and I could have happily lived my days out with it.

But I’ve been listening to the 552 for little more than an hour and there’s really no way back.

7 Likes

:disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

My sentiments exactly. The more you listen, the more you want to keep listening.

Enjoy.

G

2 Likes