252 Sound Signature

Ciao Pietro,
I’d say you are gifted with a knack for synthesis, which I am not.
:wink:
A good résumé,
m.

@Mike_S I have tried both ways round and have consistently found I prefer, in my system, pre on top. I’ve found Naim pre-amps to enjoy being at the top in both dual and single stacks. No pun intended, but there’s more “air” and space in my experience. I’d recommend you try to see if it makes a difference for your situation.

@trickydickie Does the burndy length support the possibility of trying SCDR on the bottom? Signal path is through the SC and I found bottom placement better to my ears in my situation (granted I have five levels, not six).

I think you probably could put the Supercap on the bottom.

In my system I have an NDS with 2 Burndies connecting to the 555DR which is on the bottom shelf and I don’ have a problem with them touching the floor so given that logic you should be able to have a pre on top with the Supercap at the bottom.

1 Like

First time I’ve heard a 250 being referred to as a bottle neck. Think Naim and a few critics (not to mention the countless number of satisfied members that own one) would completely disagree. I’ve read lots of reviews that mostly praise it’s ability.

It might not have worked for you but there’s nothing to say it’s not or wouldn’t work for others.

1 Like

Pete

I have always held the view source first and then pre amp second, use any power amp at a level at or below the pre and success is almost guaranteed! This seems to be born out by many delighted owners of 252 or 552’s with a 250.

I added the 300 as an ‘accidental purchase’, i.e. it was unplanned but an opportunity presented itself. I knew I had a good enough source (NDS/555DR) so I decided to purchase on the basis that were happy 282/300 users and plenty of 272/300 users out there even if it went against what I understood and ‘believed’ in.

I was expecting more power, perhaps a more relaxed and bigger sound. What I wasn’t expecting was there to be more insight and musicality and much more detail.

My thoughts are that in my system at the time there was information arriving at the 250 which wasn’t coming out the other end as with the 300 in place I could hear more of the source and pre.

Based on these findings I concluded that the 250 was indeed acting as a sort of bottleneck.

Having said all this I had a very enjoyable time with my 250 DR which is an outstanding power amp.

3 Likes

About the cable routing and touching the floor … you can draw a rack and cut off pieces of string to scale, then play around with that instead of disassembling the rack. Helped me a lot

The 250 can be a bottleneck vs the 300 if the speakers are Naim or current demanding.
For my speakers and room ( 92 db speakers in 8ohm), 19m2, the 250 dr works better and gives me a more musical presentation, vs a bit heavy sound with overwhelming bass with the 300 dr.
So the 300 dr was for me a « bottleneck « for musical satisfaction.

3 Likes

I have been a source first funamentalist since buying my first turntable in 1976, and the only component to challenge my belief in “source first” in the last 45 years has been the NAP 300.
I first heard it with a NAC 202 into Allaes fed by a CDS3, and it’s impact on my system sound was so dramatic as to be almost unbelievable.
As you say, the insight and musicality of it comes as a shock if all you expect is more volume and grunt.
Those that dismiss the part the NAP’s play in a system, as just their respective watts rating, are missing the opportunity to make an informed decision about what change brings the greatest benefit to their musical pleasure :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I’m trying to convince myself to keep my 250DR instead to replace it with a 300DR for my Titan 606. Your comment surely does not help me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Going from 250CB to 2 x 135s was a big uplift for me.

So 300 is modern day equivalent.

Would be a good upgrade me thinks. Sorry to break the bad news :laughing:.

250 is a great amp. 300 is going to be an upgrade for sure. If you’re happy with your system as it is then leave it!

It surly can’t make any difference… can it?

My ndx2 is on the top…

I have not tried it any other way, I went with the dealers recommendation and enjoy the sound…

1 Like

I’m splitting my rack soon and getting an xps dr for the ndx 2 so I’ll be ‘brains and Braun’ lol…
I’ll try it on the top…

1 Like

speaking from the experience I had when I added the power supply, I believe you will love the uplift in sound when you add the XPS DR to your NDX 2.

3 Likes

I can’t wait !

That’s the final piece for me!

3 Likes

In my experience if you listen to a 300 you won’t be happy with a 250.
There’s a considerable difference.
If you’re happy with your 250 don’t audition a 300 and don’t access this website!

6 Likes

Well you can debate what constitutes an improvement and the value thereof until the cows come home and there will be nuances - dynamics vs refinement etc, but if everything else is = the 252 and 300 are going to represent an upgrade over the 282 and 250, and that’s the end of it.

Regards,

Lindsay

4 Likes

I think some people are on commission……

9 Likes

Ah - but all things can never be equal in the world of Naim. No burndies to worry about in the 282/250 set up. If you haven’t relaxed and dressed them correctly your 252/300 set up could plunge to unknown depths of poor performance. Just joking.

1 Like

Remember to put your shaver on top of the Braun stack, it’ll give you a closer shave that way.

4 Likes