252 Sound Signature

I think some people are on commission……

9 Likes

Ah - but all things can never be equal in the world of Naim. No burndies to worry about in the 282/250 set up. If you haven’t relaxed and dressed them correctly your 252/300 set up could plunge to unknown depths of poor performance. Just joking.

1 Like

Remember to put your shaver on top of the Braun stack, it’ll give you a closer shave that way.

4 Likes

Actually changing from 250DR to 300DR will lead to some logistic issues also with a not proper cable dressing and very long burndy cable for a very short distance. I know that improvement will be there anyway respect to the 250DR but with a very messy cable behind my 3 double level Quadraspire SV2T.
I am a neat person, i will keep my 250DR :joy:

Many a true word in jest :grinning:

Very droll Nigel!

It’s all about how they present the music.
The 282 has immediacy and drive which is the first thing you notice about it.
The 252 is far more laid back and subtle and as a result can sound less impressive, but it isn’t. The 252 gives you subtleties and nuances the 282 can only hint at. Having owned both I could never go back to 282.
I compare it to the wow I got when hearing the original CDX for the first time. It sounded amazing and I had to have one, but it wasn’t long before I realised it needed controlling a bit and the addition of an XPS made it more relaxed, controlled and musical.
That’s the difference summed up for me - 282 is the initially super impressive bare CDX, 252 is the improvement gained by adding the XPS.

3 Likes

Still got it…. :wink:

When we all get anxious about stacking order, cable dressing, Burndy touching, de-stressing and the like, it is time to lighten up a bit…

4 Likes

true, but moving the 252 away from the supercap made a big difference for me.

Indeed, the 252 is a sensitive soul. It also likes to be on the top shelf with lots of air around it, in my experience.

for sure.

Yep - on top is always best in my experience!

1 Like

4 Likes

LOL…always good to see the spirit of Carry On (and not the CSNY one!) is alive and well in Naimland :+1:

1 Like

It is the main reason I have never tempted myself with a 300. I know it will sound better - but it would also mean losing my Roksan Tuner to make room (my single stack Fraim cannot accommodate another level and 2 stacks would be problematic and look ‘odd’ in my room). Also I’d have to purchase 2 new XLR cables at £800.00 each (I have Chord Signature which I like a lot).

3 Likes

@Ivo

Honestly, Ivo, try to hear the Naim NACs if you can.

200 > 282 > 252
(I list these as I’ve not had the pleasure of hearing a 552, for which my wallet is truly thankful!)

While they share the Classic casing, and so look the same or near as, I think you’ll be in for quite a surprise. A pleasant one!

1 Like

I also have a Witch Hat Morgana Din-XLR which I like that I should replace with the mono version for 300DR. I do not exclude at all the possibility to change my 250DR in the future but I may have a neater solution as I’m now.

Skimming through the responses here, I can understand the enthusiasm on the superiority of the 252 in comparison to 282 having compared a non-Naim amp with the 282/HCDR/250DR. I would refrain from repeating the salient points which describe on the differences between the 282 and 252. Nevertheless, don’t let all these comments hinder your enjoyment you derive from the 282. I can assure you it is a wonderful unit when matched with select speakers especially if dynamics, vibrancy and a bold sound are important to you. It is true the 282 may lack the subtle and nuanced delivery of more refined and sophisticated amps such as the 252 or 552 but when matched to suitable speakers the result can be quite stunning, which is one of the reasons I still retain the 282/250DR.

9 Likes

How do I set them up?

I’m thinking

Ndx2 - XPS
252 - Sc
300 - 300ps

That’s was my dealer recommendation. Others favour putting the 252/SC on top.

1 Like