252 Sound Signature

I’d agree as the transformer is larger in the 250 vs XPS.

A majority also say the pre-amp is best at the top. I followed this advice when I had a change round but frankly couldn’t tell the difference!

1 Like

Tbh I struggle to hear the difference in a lot of these tweaks. :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, this is what I thought, though I now have a 555PS.

No cigar for you then. Have you tried exotic cables…

2 Likes

I better hear a difference with the dedicated mains otherwise Mrs Mike will be saying WTF and I’ll be bluffing.

2 Likes

Regardless of the outcome you’re going to have to say you do.

2 Likes

I raised a similar question 3 years ago and had some useful replies, including one from a highly respected dealer. The thread is here https://community.naimaudio.com/t/the-first-stacking-question-of-the-new-forum/102

1 Like

I have the same order as you except preamp on top, NDX2 underneath. I tried both and preferred the preamp on top. I also have the SC on the bottom, again after trying various combos. One point of reference was a thread on the old forum suggesting to try SC at bottom as it is signal-carrying, hence an attempt to minimise interference. I experimented and preferred it in my case.

I’m sure with five boxes you’ll probably get 5! opinions on what order is “best”. If you have the time and patience I’d recommend trying a couple of options to see if you find any difference and, if so, what you prefer.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
I would suggest the following on the basis of an equivalent conversation I had with a certain Leicester based Naim & Linn dealer a few years ago.

The 250 and 555PS have the largest transformers, the SC the smallest. The 250’s transformer is working hardest.
252 needs to be on top.

so, I suggest:
NDX2
Supercap
555PS

When I re-arranged our system, the end result was a reduction in background noise, so music just sounded a little calmer / easier to enjoy / less relentless - whichever description resonates best with you.

Hope this helps, BF

1 Like

Thanks, the same as @Pete_the_painter as well.

1 Like

In Harry I trust. :+1:

2 Likes

Anyway we’re upside down so you can’t really rely on anyone from the northern hemisphere. :grin:

3 Likes

@Mike_S

My stack is
Superline - Violectric v200
Cd5X* or CD2
NAP300
Supercap DR
300DR PS

*HICAP DR on a floor level stand next to Fraim.

I’ve never tried another arrangement, tbh.

Okay folks. I’ve gone from this:

To the @Pete_the_painter / Harry set-up:

Pretty happy with the result, more open and cohesive presentation and the cable dressing is easier with Burndy’s clear of the floor and other cables. So, thanks to everyone for the good advice and free improvement in sound quality - all to rare in this game.

Also, as the dedicated mains didn’t happen I’m trying another approach with the triple piggy back plug arrangement (250/SC/555) - a Kiwi special. This is an alternative to having the SC and 555 on the Isotek Sirrius power board / filter. It’s a different presentation and the first time I’ve bypassed the Sirius since getting the 252 and 250. More slam for sure and more gritty (PRAT) - will need to experiment a bit. In my investigations I’ve established that the room is on a separate spur, so I’m now wondering whether I can use filters on the computer and modem to separate any noise into the other plug (on the same spur) that the Naim stuff is plugged into?

11 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

It’s looking good.

We’ve got anniversary weekend down here in Welly, so I might use the time to play around with plug order (I’ve got the 552PS on an NZ’ed Powerline in first, with the 300PS and the XPS on top of them)

1 Like

As I understand it, the recommended order is power amp into wall, then piggy back the pre-amp, followed by the source: in your case - 300PS, 552PS and XPS. I also learnt that the Tappon plugs maintain Star earthing, which provides some benefit for reasons I don’t know :roll_eyes:

Looking good Mike. Another fairly cheap option is to replace the 252 supporting level standard legs for medium helps with the burndy and separates the 252 even further from the rest of the kit.

1 Like

I guess I just trust Harry, he hasn’t let me down yet.

3 Likes

Yep. I was surprised when I discovered the order. I thought I had put the 300 in first. :roll_eyes:

One thing I do wonder about is whether the powerline will be more beneficial on the 300 or the 552.

1 Like

Ordinarily, it would be source PS first, then pre then power amp for the Powerlines priority. But if piggy-backing, the 300PS would make sense being first in the line? Though, at your level you would aim towards all Powerlines TBH, so if that’s the goal then that’s the answer!

BTW, are you on a dedicated mains, or did you just decide to use the piggy-back in preference to a power board?