252 Sound Signature

It’s looking good.

We’ve got anniversary weekend down here in Welly, so I might use the time to play around with plug order (I’ve got the 552PS on an NZ’ed Powerline in first, with the 300PS and the XPS on top of them)

1 Like

As I understand it, the recommended order is power amp into wall, then piggy back the pre-amp, followed by the source: in your case - 300PS, 552PS and XPS. I also learnt that the Tappon plugs maintain Star earthing, which provides some benefit for reasons I don’t know :roll_eyes:

Looking good Mike. Another fairly cheap option is to replace the 252 supporting level standard legs for medium helps with the burndy and separates the 252 even further from the rest of the kit.

1 Like

I guess I just trust Harry, he hasn’t let me down yet.

3 Likes

Yep. I was surprised when I discovered the order. I thought I had put the 300 in first. :roll_eyes:

One thing I do wonder about is whether the powerline will be more beneficial on the 300 or the 552.

1 Like

Ordinarily, it would be source PS first, then pre then power amp for the Powerlines priority. But if piggy-backing, the 300PS would make sense being first in the line? Though, at your level you would aim towards all Powerlines TBH, so if that’s the goal then that’s the answer!

BTW, are you on a dedicated mains, or did you just decide to use the piggy-back in preference to a power board?

I had asked the electricians to put in a dedicated circuit when we did a renovation on the house 8 years back, but looking at some photos I took at the time it looks as if it’s a single circuit that includes the TV. I might need to get that resolved at some point…

I have to admit that following some a/b testing with rather expensive Isotek power cables, and being unable to tell any difference, I’m a bit of a power cable sceptic. Mind you, that was with my SuperUniti/250DR combo, and the current setup is more sensitive

1 Like

I’ve tried just about every possible combination of stacking order with my rig (252/300DR/NDX) and couldn’t really tell any difference tbh…… but have ended up with this variation:

(SCDR = bottom right + NAP 300 bottom left)

7 Likes

Wish I was able to stick my Radikal on the RHS ‘brawn’ stack but no room. Given the preference on EMC grounds I’d stick it in the loft with the power on/off remoted !

Getting back to the original thread title, I don’t know what’s happened to my stack but the last few days have seemed to brought everything together. For some strange reason it just seems to sound so much better, better detail, better separation and Prat. Not sure if the NDX2/252 combo now about 8 months old has finally run in or maybe it was the threat of downsizing. Whatever it is I’m definitely impressed shame the whole stack will be boxed up soon and in storage for at least a year.

7 Likes

Just think how good it will sound after a year without it though! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also, back to the original thread, here are my thoughts albeit probably all said before. In comparison to 282, more detail, better definition of texture and timbre, tighter and more detailed bass. Better separation of instruments in the mix. More space in the soundstage and less blurred. Clearly a more sophisticated performer.
I’d agree with the comments regarding being less “shouty” but I wouldn’t describe the 252 as laid back. It is a Naim amp after all!
The 282 is a very, very fine preamp in my view, but the 252 is clearly more accomplished. For the price difference, it should be!
Both are great products which have stood the test of time and both are a joy to listen to.
And yes I know, the 552 is even better! (At twice the price of course)
Anyway back to the 252 - a class act!

11 Likes

I think the price difference from 282 to 252 is a bargain.

Well a bargain in the world of Naim, its the Supercap that makes it a choice if you are reasonably happy with a 282/Hicap.

3 Likes

Looks like my 252 is going on Saturday.

And it’s sounding absolutely sublime :slightly_frowning_face:

However good the 552 is I know I’m going to miss my 252.

2 Likes

Sounds like the 552 needs a new home, I would sacrifice myself for you

2 Likes

OK so I don’t think I’ll miss it that much… hopefully!

3 Likes

You might miss it….but you won’t want it back

I used a 252 and 300dr for several years and with T606 speakers for a couple years changing to a 552 last summer believe me you will not miss the 252 at all.

The 552 is bloody fantastic.

4 Likes

Right now it’s hard to think how it could sound better. Exciting times :grimacing:

1 Like

I thought the same it seems very strange that you replace two black boxes with another two black boxes which look virtually identical but sound so much better ?