252 Sound Signature

Crikey Tricky, I’ve a used 252 on order to upgrade from a SN2…

Other 252 owners talk of having the SNAIC and Burndy physically touch at some point in their run.
Reported as quite a benefit in SQ to do so.

In light of these comments, I had them touching from the get-go, and have not bothered trying them apart due to serial laziness!

Thus far, I’ve found the 252 is lovely - took about 3 days to a week to gel, but since then, it’s just captivating.

1 Like

Hi… I suspect with SuperCap being powered up it would have been stabilising (‘burning in’). It’s still regulating, even if there is no load…

I suspect you are going through the process of adapting to a more neutral system. A tighter bass and faster sound will often sound leaner…

I can’t offer advice on your problem but I have looked at your profile. All I can say is what do you think you are playing at? Please get your Roksan down from the loft immediately!

1 Like

The dealer did said that I may need to wean myself off the 282.

Unfortunately the 282 has gone, I sold it quickly as initial impressions were good, maybe I was a bit hasty as I was still in ‘demo’ mode at that point!

I think there is a chance I’m over thinking it, but currently it’s not giving me the joy that other upgrades have.

1 Like

It’s a long time since is swapped from a Supercapped 82 to a 52. But I remember at the time the feeling of greater resolution and insight compared to the 82. Over time that feeling became one of slight boredom. Great detailed hifi but somewhat lacking on the enjoyment front. Initially I used it with a 250, which then became a 300, which improved matters a lot, but a feeling of nice but dull persisted. So the 252 went and the 552 came, and with the 300 was absolutely stunning. All the resolution you could with for, but with a verve and sheer life that the 252 cannot even start to portray. So I’d say, give it a few weeks. If you still don’t love it, either get another 282 or bite the bullet and get a 552. You know it makes sense.

3 Likes

The Xerxes is indeed a great music making machine. It’s in lovely condition and had the bearing and platter upgrade.

It replaced an LP12 (Valhalla)/Ittock/Karma as I preffered how it made music.

There are issues in bring it out of retirement though.

Firstly is where do I put it, the Fraim has 6 levels, 7 is too many.

Secondly much of my vinyl is dross. I have some prog rock which I don’t especially care for nowadays plus some dreadful 80’s pop music which I’d be too embarrassed to mention! There is some good stuff in there too so it’s not all bad but given the quality of the NDS/555DR and the amount of music I have on that platform it currently doesn’t give me much motivation to get back into vinyl.

1 Like

Thanks Nigel, I did think of you when I posted!

It’s a bit inconsistent. I’m currently listening to Amparo from Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour and it’s delightful and none of the observations above are apparent, certainly not dull and everything sounds very real and better than before but I can jump around my collection and other material slightly disappoints.

1 Like

So many variables but the closest comparison I have is an unserviced olive 82 vs the unserviced 252 into a 250-2 and the D9.2’s.
The 82 on the 250 is outstanding, clear precise and musical. I feel that it works at its best in a mid volume range. The 252 on the 250 extends all of that in to the low or quiet evening volume range. It just handles everything better.
I wonder whether it is just a matter of waiting for the serviced kit to stabilise?

1 Like

I think when you get something new that you can listen too hard and try to detect what’s better. If you relax and just play music you’ll then find if it’s more engaging or not. Give it a couple of months and see how you feel then.

9 Likes

All very understandable and thank you for being such a good sport!

1 Like

from my experience I went from 282/SC/300DR to 252 a couple of years ago, the slightly forward presentation of the 282 went when I moved from 282/HCDR to 282/SC - but agree to do need to tune ears into the more refined sound of the 252

with my two sources LP12/NDX - the Iradio is still the most forward musical presentation on NAIM Jazz, Classical Paradise

On the NDX this is when 252 comes into it’s own - I don’t stream play FLAC which the NDX plays as WAV superb musical presentation, detail and focus, what I adore the the music from the LP12 through 252/300DR this is a delight

I only moved my speakers when I had my 300DR a few years ago now

On dressing the SNAIC and Burndy run in a u from the top of the fraim touching or a close too

I would let the whole system settle, my 252 was new out of the box and took about a month to bed in

for me 252/300DR with either SC or SCDR are 4 boxes of black magic

3 Likes

Have had similar experiences going from SN2 to SN3 and 250DR to 300DR and in both cases I had this “oh no what happened to the bass”. If you go from a warmer setup to a more neutral it takes time to adjust and some just don’t want it even after a while. We all have different preferences on what good sound is and that’s OK. Going the other way around from neutral to warm is normally more love at first sight. I would suggest you give your system some more time and try to focus on music and not sound. That’s when things often start to sound great. And a glass of red wine and your favorite album. Not kidding :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nigel… that is very good advice.

1 Like

Yes… I found it useful to be able to swap back to the 282 after a week or two with the 252. In my case, once I did, the 252 was back in the system before the morning was out.

3 Likes

If you put the 282 back into you system after a month you will how controlled the 252 is.

4 Likes

Took me about 2hrs.

That’s a good idea - I’ll do that this weekend, before I move the 282 on…(assuming I have the same reaction, which I suspect I will!)

The further you go up the Naim black box hierarchy the more the setup matters. I see you have Fraim. I guess you have dedicated radial etc.

An inch between SNAIC and Burndy is too big. I used very short half inch pipe insulation which is smaller than the Burndy meaning there is a gap at the split, which I use to hold the SNAIC. They run pretty close along the entire length. Don’t use too much as it is not neutral.

Worth checking all the cable dressing and Burndy torsion to make them fit without having to twist to get alignment. Space between boxes inc Power Supplies matters as you go up the hierarchy.

I persevered for a year before my current boxes. It took nearly 20 months to really feel I had arrived with what I now have. Maybe should have tried harder with the 252!

However, you are in the very early days so give it more time.

Phil

4 Likes

Thank you

Yes, Fraim and dedicated radial. I took care with the Burdies and they seem relaxed. I was able to change the pre without moving anything as it’s on the top which helps elimate any other setup issues. Cable dressing is hard with just one stack but I think it’s a reasonable job.

Following feedback further up I have gently draped the Snaic on to the Burndy so it occasionally touches. It’s probably not ideal. I do have some velco cable ties on a roll that I could use to space down the length like you would tie a tree to a stake if you are a gardener! I may try that tomorrow.

Without doing any meaningful comparisons, trying to avoid over analysing I have played a few of my favourite albums and thoroughly enjoyed them, at the expense of household chores which is a good sign.

I actually like the more relaxed presentation and it’s certainly more insightful. I played a Chris Botti album and I swear he must have re-recorded the album with a few more musicians!

It feels like I am within a whisker of getting things right.

3 Likes