252 Sound Signature

Glad you enjoying your change. Yes the Supernait 2 is cracking but as you rightly say it isn’t fair to compare.
I can’t wait for you to hear what the 250DR brings, it genuinely doubles the size of the speakers and detaches the music from them.

As great as Naims combined units are, they are not a match on their Pre/power units in my opinion.

:+1:

3 Likes

A Naim box arrived today - time to see what the 252 sound signature is like for myself… :grinning:

9 Likes

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating — enjoy! :partying_face:

Definitely appreciating the 252. Much more delicacy and space around the instruments, everything just more defined and less frenetic.
The 282 is good, the 252 is better. :grinning:

18 Likes

You summarise the difference between the 282 and 252 very well.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Exactly!

Hi @popeye. I can’t remember, did you add the 282 to your SN, or did you put the 250 in at the same time? I wondering which of the pre or the power has the most impact on the effects on the speakers that you describe?

Hi Mike

No I did the two at the same time. So I can only go via my experience having done a few step changes over the past few years, qute to nova to Supernait to 282/250.

1 Like

FWIW - my 282 was powered by my XS2 for awhile (while the SN3 was in hospital). The 282 was the major uplift I recall, even when I got the 250DR. The 250 certainly was superb in terms of presentation and bass solidity. It made everything more ‘solid’ and assured, but wasn’t the revelation the 282 had been over the SN3 (which, when healthy, I p/xed for the 250 - I was glad that I had it ready in due course for the 252).

1 Like

Hyperbole Warning:

Anyone who genuinely prefers a 282 over a 252 should immediately book an appointment with their audiologist - or psychiatrist! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Heh heh…another soul

But seriously, it is damn fine isn’t it?

1 Like

Hey, it’s amazing what a preamp can do isn’t it?! :wink:
Enjoy Peter

I have always preferred the 252 over the 282. I can see however that the sheer verve of the 282 can be (superficially?) impressive and the 252 is very sensitive to set up. So I can see how some might be misled. :wink:

It’s now been several weeks since I replaced my 282 with the 252.
I’ve found the 252 to provide greater detail, clarity and separation leading to a richer more enjoyable musical experience.
Yesterday I was listening to Bert Jansch’s first album, one I’d listened to for fifty years, I’d have to say it has never sounded this wonderful. I now find myself listening to music for hours on end and being fully captivated by the sound.
The 252 is an outstanding pre amp.

9 Likes

I’m a few weeks in with mine, still using the SN2 as a power amp, and I entirely agree. The detail, scale and naturalness is just so right,

3 Likes

From all valuable feedbacks in this thread, I’ve just ordered a 252 which is a part of 282 trade in but have to wait for 4 months to be delivered.

3 Likes

I’ve recently upgraded from the 272 to a 252 and I find I’m struggling to control the volume and find the sweet spot. I have a reasonable size listening area and often listened to my 272 around 30-35 + and if that was a problem it was always easy to adjust, the 252 seems so loud and I find it difficult to adjust with both the remote and the app (automated) and not playing it above 8-9 o’clock.

I love the sound and it is a big step up from the 272 but I wished the 252 had the same volume mechanism as the 272.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m having the same issue as well, it’s quite finicky for adjustment.

Kind of makes a few that keep telling me that the pre amps don’t need an upgrade a little naive. Sound wise it’s true but features and functionality certainly needs a shake up IMO.

4 Likes