252 Sound Signature

It’s the only thing I didn’t like about my 252. I had a 112x before and really missed the angular range of the volume control.

2 Likes

I remember having the same problem with my ex 252. Volume control is not the best.

1 Like

I’m feeding the 300 now, previously the 250-2, into Spendor D9.2 s. I’m running around the 8 o clock on the volume and with the remote I can vary the volume smoothly. I can’t say it’s any different to the 112 or 202 in to the previous 150 or 200.

trickydickie,

more than two weeks have passed since you first posted, so my reply might be out of time, but here’s my impressions.
I have never had a 252 but my last but one Naim system was 282/SC/250, all serviced; coming from a SN and/or 202/200 - I have changed in a relatively short span of time - I found the 282 rather forward and bold, matching my small n-Sats well but perhaps a little ‘too much’.

In turn, I have on many occasions listened to both an older, unserviced and a brand new 252 with a 300; at first I thought that the 252 was softer sounding, but in time I realised that not only it is simply a better preamp as it should be, but it has great resolution and an especially good ‘flow’: I became aware of it for perhaps the very first time in my audio [Naim] life. Music seems to be delivered by a 252 with greater ease and tonal transparency than by any other Naim system I’ve heard - and I know a full 500 system well.

I hope that by now you have gotten used to the new presentation, I am convinced that much as there is gear that suits our taste better, there are absolutes too, and sometimes it’s a worthwhile thing to give it a little time to ‘tune in’ with the system. I find 252/300 the best possible choice of Naim amplification if one can afford it, so I wish you time and patience to enjoy it.

m.

4 Likes

While I respect that many here prefer the 282 I’ve never really understood it. It (the 252) is a development on the mighty 52 and to my mind sounds very similar. My caveat here is that I use SBLs which can be a little forward. Anyway, that’s my 2p!

1 Like

Can I ask for a bit more info around this pls?

Mine is an ND555 w 1 x PS > 252 / SC DR > 300DR > ATC SCM40 that should sound fabulous, and does at lower volumes and esp late at night. With the volume at around 10 o’clock onwards it tends towards sounding harsh, a bit edgy on the vocals and mid to high registers, and that never happened when it was built around a 272/555. Bass, depth, staging etc are bang on but beyond that higher volume it’s not good, and almost hurts if I push it much louder.

Stacking order is
ND555
300PS
SC DR
555PS
300DR

It all sits on a Fraim and cables are dressed as they should be, so when you say it’s sensitive to set up, is there something more to be done to remove that harshness once the volume climbs? Thanks.

Max

Thanks for your post and thoughts.

All is now good, the system sounds exceptional and any doubts are a distant memory. Your thoughts align with a couple of dealers I have spoken to who said that you need to wean yourself off the 282 as it presents a somewhat lively view of the proceedings. I think this coupled with the ups and downs of a freshly serviced unit got the better of me for a short while. At times it did sound poor, flat and relentless rather like a badly recorded chart MP3 but it is now open lively and consistent.

I had in the back of my mind a conversation I had with who I view is my main dealer, albeit not the one I purchased the 252 from. He said that they did have one customer who tried a 252 after owning a 282 and found they didn’t like the 252. More of a problem was that they appreciated what the 252 could do and no longer liked the 282 either! The answer was obvious, a 552 but that’s not something I wish to consider for a long time!

It now has a lovely musical flow to it and I’m very contented with the system as a whole.

Best

Richard

4 Likes

Hi Richard,

that’s what I thought and hoped it would happen. As I wrote, I have listened to 252s a number of times and I have little doubts that it’s a very very musical and satisfying preamp, one which can really make an owner not necessarily wanting for more.

Best,
Max

1 Like

I also complained a little bit about it in other posts, the usable range is narrow as I also barely go beyond 9 (and it was even more narrow when I had unbalance at the bottom up to 8 :wink: ), but you will get used to it. I am having no problem at all anymore. But yes, it could be a bit less sensitive, in the thread about classic preamp updates it was the one thing I mentioned.

2 Likes

I think that you re right, definitely the 252/300 is the best sounding naim amp, anyhow I think that scdr for 282 reduces a lot the gap making the 282 a little less hi end and a little more naim sounding. To me 282 with 2 hcdr and 250 is probably the best naim value

1 Like

I found the 252 needs the 300 to give of its best. The 250 sounded a bit confined if that’s the best description. The 252/300 match each other’s abilities to produce superb results.
Certainly I found keeping the cables together improved the sound.
My room size is 7.5m x 5.0m and I listen with the speakers pointing down the longer dimension.
I’ve noticed that volume appears critical which I thought was due to the speakers. However, listening to other posts it’s probably the amplification.
I’ve found the best volume setting to be between 8 and 9 o’clock whereas I played the 282 at 8 o’clock for general listening.

1 Like

What do you mean exactly?

Thanks,
David

The posts show just how differently we hear and how different system components vary the experience…with my 252, I find that I can now enjoy higher volumes without it sounding harsh etc.
I don’t go beyond 10o’clock often but unlike my SN3 & 282, I find it much more listenable when I do.

1 Like

Wow, I rarely get to the 10 o’clock position unless the recording is particularly quiet. Sounds like you are putting a lot of energy into the room causing the issue as you rarely hear of a 252 sounding harsh. Is your room lively?

1 Like

I read that the Burndy and digital ps should be kept close together for best results. So I used pieces of pipe insulation to dress the cables as illustrated in my earlier photo on this post.
To my ears it certainly improves SQ. The problem with the equipment is that there appears to be many variables e.g. room size and layout which can effect the system so results are variable. However, for the cost of a piece of pipe insulation it’s worth a try.

1 Like

10 o’clock is where it all really starts to come to life and the bass becomes physical rather than just a nice bass sound… etc. So when there’s no-one in and I’m in the mood the volume goes up to 10 & a bit beyond sometimes. Preference is well produced rock from the 70s onwards, but the conflict is that vocals become too harsh as the other instruments are starting to sound great once we’re into 10+ territory.

I’m not sure how I’d classify a room as lively tbh. It’s about 16’ x 10’ with speakers firing across not down, wooden flooring not carpeted & a 6 x 3 rug in the centre, and the usual array of furniture scattered about. Glass patio doors at one end, normal window at the other and a big mirror on the wall facing the speakers.

2 Likes

Wondering what your speaker sensitivity is? Makes a big difference. Regarding the harshness, I would also first start looking at room and then speakers before blaming the pre, for which it makes very little difference if the pot is at 9 or 10, it is not as if the tiny currents involved were stressing it

2 Likes

85db @ 1W apparently. They seem to need more oomph than their predecessors the pair of PMC 20.26 did; they were just too big and too much woolly bass, albeit in a smaller room.

Longer term we’re looking at moving and a priority is to find a house where one room’s purpose is predominantly maximising the audio performance. I’ll live with it for now.

Fair enough. Clapping your hands in different positions will give you an idea if the room sounds ‘live’. There are more sophisticated techniques of course. Does sound like a lot of reflective surfaces so it might be worth looking into?

Thanks. This will make quite a difference compared to mine which have 89 dB. In my case, it “comes alive” at 9, and given the difference of sensitivity this might well be around the same actual volume