252 Sound Signature

This way, the 300 burndys will definitely lie on the floor. I’d try a different order for the PSes, the cables will cross more but it can be done without touching, and you have a better chance of letting them hang freely. In your case, I’d try the 300 PS on top and the XPS at bottom. I have

P10
(nothing) - SC
252 - 300 PS
NDX2 - Rega PSU
Superline - 555 (for NDX2)
300 - (cables)

Very tidy in this case, but of course I have the advantage of being able to space out with SuperLine, Rega PSU, and cable shelf (Some pics just posted in the system pics thread)

I can only recommend finding the best arrangement on paper instead of lugging heavy boxes around,

As for the 252 or NDX2 on top, both camps exist

Mine at the moment touch the floor but I’ve put little bits of foam under them as separation?

I’m still amazed how fussy setting up this stuff is!!

I wouldn’t be surprised to read a post stating the rack needs to face true North :compass: :joy:

2 Likes

Richard says that hanging free is best, and if it cannot be achieved, foam is a suitable way to keep them from touching anything and better than nothing, but free hanging is better.

The fussiness, I hear you. I didn’t bother to try if there is really a difference, everyone says so and I had the option of doing it right, so I just did it to sleep well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll try and free hang them as best I can…

But I did do a little test while it was playing, pinching the burndys a bit, moving them around so they touched etc etc… and to my ears it made no difference?

But it’ll be silly of me not to listen to you guys… I will try my hardest to get separation…

Ps… pretty new to this level of hifi and absolutely love it! The Naim sound is amazing isn’t it!

It’s so difficult to say, though. Who knows, it may not be immediately apparent, but a subtle change that has an impact over time on how much you like it subconsciously. Like different cables seem to, as well - their differences tend to be bigger, but still not easy to hear what’s better when switching them around.

Me too, just a few months earlier. After skimping for decades, I just decided to do it right and set up everything as best as I can, with the great help and wisdom of the forum, instead of wasting time with worrying what does and doesn’t make a difference :slight_smile:

In my previous experience, even much bigger changes did not immediately stick out. When I first got into streaming, even Bluetooth with AptX from the phone to a BT receiver seemed to sound fine, nothing stood out as obviously poor, but the thing was, I just listened less and less over a stretch of several months and didn’t even know why.

Oh I love it…
Shure 846 headphones got me into how music should sound. then I converted the garage to a music room… now I’m in here nearly every eve (after putting the kids to bed lol)

Anyway back to topic :joy:

The 252 does sound different! My mates got a 202 and 200 and some songs sound better on that than mine.? Bass in Newton Faulkner songs is noticeable lacking on mine? But then some songs the bass is amazing?

I had a cd5 150 122 and b&w cdm 7s and the bass on Damien rice the blowers daughter far out striped my current set up??

Quite odd to be honest

I’m playing Yello 40 in hi-res on the 252. Sounds lovely, but I’ll need to swap the SN2 power amp stage for the 250. I’ll take the bottleneck over the traffic jam :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yes but your not going to be happy till it’s a flyover. :rofl:

1 Like

Just recieved a SCDR to replace my SC, really exited to find what it does for the 252. Perfect start on the weekend.

11 Likes

will be interested in results :+1:

Interesting reading all this

I just moved from a 282>hi cap dr>250dr which I agree is a great combo when you get it set up just right (tinkering over the years as I learnt really pays dividends cable dressing, good rack, better isolation, PL, etc) gives lovely full on sound full of attack.

Recently upgraded to 282>SC DR>300DR feeding my kudos s20s and even though still running in the effect was immediately obvious in terms of extra realism/separation and the 300 brought more detail and a deep sub bass thump which makes the s20 feel a bigger speaker. Only down side was had to trade in my sarum t cable I had on the 250 which I miss for the extra sparkle of detail it brought.

Reading comments will be revisiting rack order again to have a play

Now leaning towards a 252 and am wondering how people find it with rock/indie/dance type music?? Does it still bring the boogie factor and attack or Is it a more refined affair?

Thanks

Mat

1 Like

I am feeling the same as these gents:

2 Likes

It does both extremely well, refined in terms of depth, detail and soundstage and boogie with pace, attack and scale with rock music. And I’m using a SN2 as a power amp until a 250 arrives :sunglasses:

1 Like

Gawd elp me…having serious thoughts now about demming the 300DR vs my 250DR. Inevitable really - I have to hear this last link in my upgrade trail

The final step. No way I’ll go to 55* level, jes’ can’t afford it. But 252/300…This I gotta at least hear.

1 Like

Yeah right, just hear :slight_smile: I can tell you what will happen

2 Likes

Listening to my 252/300 now

All I will say is you have to hear it :grimacing:

2 Likes

Here we go……

1 Like

Wish me luck…

I’m just going outside for a short walk.

:smile:

3 Likes

It could be an expensive walk……

1 Like

This is is probably two weeks too late, but I noticed a post by @Pete_the_painter regarding the 252 volume control. Coming from a 272 I found the ‘old fashioned’ volume knob a little disconcerting at first. The remote has two volume modes - a quick jab for a tiny adjustment or press and hold for much larger adjustments.

The app works in the same way, and it’s perfectly possible to make fine adjustments with a couple of touches on the + or - buttons in system automation. The SN3 does have a less sensitive volume control than the 252, with a greater usable range, so it may be better for me, but with the 252 it should still be possible to make small adjustments with relative ease.