272/555DR/250DR --> 222/555DR/250 observations

Yeah, the 555 is on the bottom shelf and the 250 on the next, then empty shelf, with 222 on top. So it shouldn’t be too much of a clash. I’m still not very keen on the white ring. I hope the lowest dim setting is really low. I wish it could be disabled.

Can you expand on “sounds wrong and boring “, the boring part I’m guessing means the 250nc is brighter or livelier, not sure I understand what you mean by “wrong” :thinking:

How old was your 250 dr? Serviced when?

I took his comment as illustrative and not literal.

I’m listening to JB Radio lossless now and it sounds pretty great. When you get a good upgrade the contrast can leave you wondering how the new kit sounds so good and lead to impressions like that made by nicnaim. I’ll be doing a lot of listening in the coming days in anticipation of the new kit arriving this week. 222 and 250 are now in the hands of FedEx so hopefully no problems with delivery.

1 Like

The preamp in the 222 is much better than the one in the 272 so that alone should be a big difference, then the new streaming/dac card is added, so yes, the difference should be massive… At least according to my dealer :smirk:

Yeah, I’ve heard that the 272 preamp is not that great but never from first hand experience. It would seem like the new preamp would be improved. I’m more interested in the new digital and improved streaming board over the classic streamers. It sounds like that’s were the big gains are.

Full service and DR’d in 2020

2 Likes

I got a NC 222/250 I’m January and am delighted but as I upgraded from a SuperUniti….

3 Likes

I bet you are, I went from SU to 272/250DR in one step and it was a considerable improvement. Added the 555 a couple months later and it was a WOW moment.

Maybe they broke it. :smiley:

2 Likes

The NC250 just had so much more drive and verve. Notes stopped and started faster. The upper bass and midrange was cleaner and let more information through.

The 250DR sounded slow like the timing was off and a bit congested in comparison. It had me so perplexed that I reinstalled the 250DR because I thought it may have been out of phase but it wasn’t.

I wouldn’t say the NC250 is brighter. It’s definitely sweeter and much more open in the midrange and vocals yet not fatiguing at all.

This is with my LP12/252DR. It may just be a fantastic match in my set-up

3 Likes

If it is a higher resolution you are looking for, which the 272 cannot handle due to too little buffer, it can be solved in other ways. Personally, I think the preamp difference matters more.

I set up bubble soft and minimserver and have zero buffering with lossless Qobuz and lossless radio streaming. But it’ll be nice to not need the workarounds and needing to use the Linn app for Qobuz.

1 Like

I get nervous when people say the 250 is bright, I sure hope not.

Sure, but as usual it comes with a cost.

As it always has. I figure if I don’t get on with the 222 I can use it as a stepping stone to the 333/332. I love that there’s so many options for 3 and 4 box systems with great SQ now.

Out of the box, it definitely seemed “brighter”than the 250DR as it just lets so much more information through. As its bedded in, its filled in quite nicely. it’s definitely a more open sound but not edgy or fatiguing at all

The D7.2’s lean on the fast and forward to bright side of neutral so they would definitely show off any edginess or brightness that the NC250.

1 Like

Ok, hopefully it doesn’t lose the magic the 250DR has with the Ovators.

It depends on what you refer to when talking about the 272. 272 alone is pretty boring. But adding XPSDR or even better 555PSDR and I could have happily lived with it still. To my ears it sounded awesome with the 300DR.

3 Likes

Maybe they put vallium caps by inadvertance.

5 Likes