272 / 555dr / 300

Sl2s obviously! Very pretty and fulfill all your requirements.

1 Like

Great to hear thanks Antonio.

Did you have the chance to compare the 502s with the 702s ? I am home testing the 502s next week but wondering if there will be a big difference in going up to the 700 series as they both have the same drive units.

No, After a trying a couple of nice Totems (Hawks and Forest) at home I decided to throw caution out of the 31st floor and gamble on the 502sp because they had much of the same spec as the 700 series and I was able to get the fab walnut finish too. I also didn’t want to spend much more as I plan to blow the rest of the budget on a step up to 552/nd555/RP10 next year. To me these speakers deliver more than enough but you need to try them out to see whether they deliver for you. Please pay attention to the treble - is it right for you, is the bass under control, even at volume, and do they let the music take over the room? Mine do it for me and I don’t have any concerns about how well they will handle a biggish upgrade. Good luck!

Wow, that was a big gamble ! Pleased it worked out for you. I have already noticed how different the sound signature is in comparison to the ATC 40s, this with the smaller 501sp’s I am trying at the moment. I will have a chance to hear the 502s later this month.
Many thanks.

With your system you should demo PMC speakers, they work very well with Naim. Although the room is not that big, maybe PMC fact.8 signature, they are usually quite unfussy.

Quick question. The SCM11 have arrived and there are 4 binding posts. My old speakers had an optional metal connector between them for use when not bi wiring. I can’t see a connector supplied so will I need jumper cables?

If there are no connectors you’ll need jumpers. Why not call ATC and ask them to send you a pair of connectors? They are really friendly on the phone.

Good idea HH. I’ll double check the box again first when I get home just in case I missed them.

It’s odd because I would have thought they’d supply them but no mention of them in the instructions.

They probably just forgot to attach them. The bars are pretty manky and if they were my speakers I’d be getting jumpers anyway. But whatever, you should have them as they are part of the package.

I thought all ATC passives came with linking bars. Could be wrong — mine are active, but contacting ATC is a good idea. However, I’d also ask be talking to my dealer. Perhaps they can pop some basic jumpers in the post to get you up and running.

Roger

1 Like

My scm 40 passive came with them already attached, IMO the dealer should have checked this unless you bought direct from atc?

I’m pretty sure SCM19’s would work fine close to the wall in that size room as well, if it’s not too late to compare …

Just christened them with Radiohead and In Rainbows.

Just wow!

A month or so ago I rescued my old hi fi from the garage and that initiative has turned into something truly amazing.

I’ve been going through one of the most truly awful things that life can throw at us, but being able to listen to great music in all its beauty has been a great help.

I really appreciate all the advice on this forum, it’s a great resource. I think I’ve found my end game.

For now!

5 Likes

Just bought a perfect condition p/l 2019 555DR from a dealer with 12 months warranty and 2 x burndies and Powerline for a price I couldn’t refuse. Am I right in thinking the burndies don’t come as standard?

What was that I said about end game :grimacing: :smile:

1 Like

You may also want to take a look at this thread: (Edit: Too late)

1 Like

Yes bought ATC SCM11 speakers. Sorry bumped an old thread.

Considering getting my 300 DR’d next…

1 Like

You seem happy with the choice, enjoy!

PL included and Burndy not for 555PSDR.

1 Like

Wasn’t really looking for a 555 but it was a great deal (if I think about what I’ve ‘saved’ rather than what I’ve spent) :laughing: