272 Pre-Amplifier Experience

Sure, totally agree. I meant over on the other fishy place. If you can reference the forum to a purchaser it helps with trust. Ime.

G

1 Like

It would be a good comparison for sure. In my case, I couldn’t demo the NDX2 and wanted the new streamer technology. My dealer was adamant the NDX2 and SN2 would perform above the N272 and 250 and I had given up waiting to see if an updated 272 would ever arrive. So that is where I ended up. If I ever go separates, I would need to break either a 272 or SN2, so I figured having the source sorted with the NDX2 would give me the best to work with.

2 Likes

One of the hardest thing to say goodbye to a 272 is that… It is probably the only naim app controllable reference series preamplifier… And the only one with headphone amp should you need it.

The use of source level dedicated PSU without the need to feed from amplifier probably helped it’s performance with a PSU as a preamplifier too.

When you say goodbye to it, it is going to be a dramatic change…

Ho my, another thread re the 272. I don’t think there’s a more talked about product in Naim range. When it was released a few years ago the critics raved about how good it was. Apart from Naim the upgrading their streaming platform what’s else is changed, it still must be a fine pre amp.

It is but sometimes upgradeitis gets the best of people. Myself included.

1 Like

True, sad thing for me is I took years to make my mind up and upgrade to the 272. Within a year of owning it this site has just gone crazy with speculation re it’s replacement. I thought I was safe as Naim aren’t renowned for upgrading their range every other year. The pre amps haven’t been touched for years.

1 Like

Anything with a streamer or Dac inside is prone to be changed every other year, if not every year…

272 has both.

Preamplifier is supposed to be timeless at this age… Yet 272 is an odd marriage of these extremes…

It is like a new age kid in his teens married a Victorian Aunt…

2 Likes

The pre-amp in the 272 is a completely different type of circuit to the older Naim pre-amps.

The pre-amp in the 272 is a much more recent type of circuit that exploits the characteristics of more recent developments in power supply circuitry.

Funny but my 272 didn’t stop working when the new streamer platform became available.

5 Likes

A bit funny if you would have the 272 and then would add a NDX which is undoubtably better, but a partly unused 272.
So I see multiple options for you, yes go for the NDX and get the 282.
Go for the 272 and upgrade to 555PS and potentially 300DR. Would also fit your three box principle…

1 Like

No it wouldn’t because NAP 300 is two boxes on it’s own…

As mentioned, this isn’t a 3-box answer but it does provide a superb setup. By common consent a PS555 opens the 272 out into a great bit of kit that punches well above its weight in the hierarchy, and a 300DR is as good as it gets before moving up to a whole new level and cost. As a low box count and cost-effective system this is [IMO] a natural conclusion to upgradeitis. All I fancy now maybe is a speaker change, no desire for now to go further on the boxes.

Beyond a 272/555 (2 boxes) logically it’s either 282 (2½ or 3) or a 252 (2 boxes) + NDS/NDX/NDX2 + PS (2, = so at least 4 boxes) and the additional cost of making that leap.

1 Like

True I forgot about that fact that the 300 is two boxes, but still an amazing combination…

I know how everyone luurves the 300DR, but the 250DR shouldn’t be overlooked. A superb amp which, when paired with the 272 and 555PS gives a wonderful, genuine 3 box solution.

3 Likes

Each to their own timmo, but I lived with that combination for a while and was never happy with it. It was the 300 wot won it for me, never looked back, thoughts of further upgrades long gone.

The choice between a NAP250DR and a NAP300DR will be heavily influenced by the speakers in use.

2 Likes

Urm maybe but as a 250DR owner I can’t really imagine any circumstances that a 300DR wouldn’t be a significant step-up.

it was my case. The 300 dr was not “improving “ the sound of my system. The 250 dr gives better results for my room and easy load speakers.

3 Likes

An open mind and home demo will be the two critical factors in determining choice.

1 Like

Depends, if the speakers are just too large for the room then a lesser amp can help.

1 Like