272 Pre-Amplifier Experience

Just to add. Apart from easy to drive speakers, the size of speakers is also a factor for me. Although it is not the 300 DR in my case, my Dali Mentor Menuet with 4" driver didn’t sound significantly better with 282/250DR than the 202/200. I actually preferred the latter for its lighter, less bassy and more neutral presentation.

2 Likes

i preferred the same as you, a more balanced and agile sound, more neutral perhaps also. The 300 dr gave a bit overwhelming sound, too heavy, with too much bass for my room.

3 Likes

The three box dream limits our thinking, in my opinion. Here in sunny Perth, a NDX2-282-HiCapDR combo is around $22K. A 272-PS555 is also around $22K. Forgetting about what you can and can’t do in the future re extra power supplies, cables, whatever, for my money the first option is the better. I would understand people going with the latter combo. But not 3 boxes when you add in a 250…

Of course, if its a different equation when you look at say 272-250 versus NDX2-Supernait 3, territory. Yes you can upgrade, but looking at what’s the best bang for your buck right now? Again, I’d go the first but can understand the reasons why others wouldn’t.

But thinking of a PS555 would lead me to think…NDX2-282, just wait a while and avoid buy/sell angst. Grrr, why is it so hard!

Even if you look at future upgrades, well it depends on your timeline. If it’s going to be a while, well who knows what’s going to be out there in say 3-5 years?

You pays your money…

1 Like

For clarity. I have organised a home-demo of an NDX2 to try through my 272 as pre.

In theory as it’s a better streamer through the same pre, but with separated power supplies it should beat the 272…in theory.

We shall see.

G

2 Likes

Im holding out for the fictional 272 replacement :smile:

3 Likes

I’ve just bought a 2nd hand 282 and it is a huge improvement on the 272 in every respect. For now, I’ve kept the 272 as streamer/dac. I listened to a demo of the ndx2 versus the 272 and it was marginal diff to my ears. I may still go ndx2 to get the latest streaming platform

4 Likes

That is good to hear. Do you have the Hicap DR? The 282/HicapDR/250DR is a very formidable combination which is good enough for an end-game system.

1 Like

Yes, Hicap DR. I also have an XPS DR which I am sorely tempted to trade in for a NDX2 because it makes virtually no difference to the SQ when paired with the 272, compared with the 282 upgrade.

I’m very happy with my setup now so I may just sell the xps and sit on the money for a good while

1 Like

I’m considering this but the other way round. First NDX2 with my 272 as pre then 282 when funds allow.

G

You are at a difficult juncture … I used an NDS with the 272 and it sounded really good. But … it was not until I changed to a proper dedicated pre amp that the difference really made itself apparent (as you would expect). The 272 as a system is very cleverly designed and optimised by Naim - when I plugged in the NDS to the dedicated preamp there was an improvement across the board… not earth moving but never the less very worthwhile… the 272 did hold it back - a bit. I think you will be able to live with this setup - but, really it deserves a preamp - a pre loved 282 or 252 ultimately needs to be squeezed in …

Am looking at ‘squeezing in’ a 282 now :scream:!

G

I thought you’d found nirvana with a Hugo into a 250 or was that a bit of a premature conclusion ?

1 Like

It is a painful and expensive process - switching from the terrific 272 … but you will not regret it in the end. Enjoy … let us know how you get on. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes it was. I’d intended to stop there for primarily finance sound per pound reasons … but an unexpected windfall has prompted a change of mind.

G

1 Like

Will do.

G

I heard a Dave direct into a Nap300 and was not impressed… it did not gel … it did not appear dynamic. I think it is a function of the pre-amp matching…

Exactly the same for me, it was lifeless…but worth a try.

I was so dissappointed - theoretically it should have been terrific - I was seriously considering this route - until I heard it. I understand the Dave into the 552 is amazing - I nearly went that route…its allot cheaper than the Naim PSU and streamer…

But Dave into a Naim NAC252 still didn’t connect with me, lots of detail but still not quite what i like. I can understand why others do like the Chord dacs, but not for me.

1 Like

Nirvana or premature conclusion?