282 + 250DR + Hicap + SN2?

Hi, I have NDX2 and SN2 +HiCap with B&W 702 S2 speakers. Ive just bought a 250DR and about to press button on a 282 and would use the HiCap for the 282. Should I keep the SN2 and bi amp it ? If that’s a good idea, does anyone have a wiring diagram to share ?

Sell the SN2 and put the money towards a power supply for the NDX2 is my advice.

5 Likes

Or you could find yourself a matching HiCapDR and run twin Hicaps on the 282. Selling the SN2 should make that an non costly upgrade.

I just tried twin HiCapDR (used the HiCapDR that power my Superline) I’m now reluctant to move it back from the 282…

3 Likes

282 + 250 obviates the need for the SN2. Bi-amping is complicated and over-rated. Sell the SN2 and pocket the cash!

3 Likes

If you don’t mind my asking, what is the 2nd HiCap on the 282 adding that you like?

Thanks ! what do the twin hiCaps power in this mix ?

You can use two Hicaps with the 282. Some feel it’s worth it, others that it’s not. I’d suggest that you’d be better putting the money towards an XPSDR or 555DR.

1 Like

Adds bass weight and definition mainly IME, sound just more engaging and dynamic…

1 Like

I agree with Svetty below. I have only used the twin HiCapDR for one day, but my impression is that it also makes the overall sound of the 282 slightly less forward and low listening levels feel a bit more full bodied.

I have not yet tried a psu on my NDX2. It might be a better upgrade than the twin HiCapDR, but it would also cost more than what you get for the SN2.

Some advocate the supercap DR on the 282, but that would also cost a bit more. And not be fully used by the 282. Edit: But in light of the improvements with an extra HicapDR it would certainly be interesting to hear the SupercapDR on the 282 as well…

In short, one can go many ways rather than bi amping with the SN2. Depends on timing, budget and ears!

3 Likes

As I understand it, the twin HiCapDR power one channel each with two rails on the 282. Rather than one HiCapDR giving power to both.

1 Like

Thanks, @Svetty - much appreciated.

Thank you for this response, @Porphyr. I know people have related different experiences with two HiCaps on the 282 but I was curious how you were finding it. Sounds like you are pleased with the gains - enjoy!

1 Like

As above I wouldn’t keep the sn2. I upgraded the same route a few years ago and ended up with two hicap drs and thought that was the best set up although, as Nigel says, others prefer one

1 Like

Interested in this post as in a similar situation.
I have a NDX2 with SN3 + HiCap DR + 250DR driving ATC SMC40 passive.
With increased number of second hand 282 on the market I would be interested in what improvements would the 282 bring?
I would be looking at selling the SN3 to cover the bulk of the cost, the SN3 is only 15 months old, I was hoping that I should be able to get one not too old. How old a 282 do you think I should be looking at getting, I expect to have to pay something cables etc.
I appreciate the advice this forum provides.
I am aware that a power supply on the NDX2 would improve the source but was thinking with more 282 on the market therefore cheaper to do this first.
Thanks

Really would depend on the age, several on eBay and dealers will have a few available. You should get a good price for a near new SN3. How much the 282 will improve things? I think you’d be very pleased, I only went 252 mainly because there was such a good deal.

1 Like

I would say that trading your Supernait for a 282 is a no-brainier. Age is a slightly less important consideration with a preamp than it is with power supplies and power amps (especially regulated amps like the 250).
You shouldn’t need to spend anything on cables to add the 282. You might even end up with a surplus cable to sell. Do make sure you can set up the system properly though. This becomes increasingly important as you climb the ladder, especially with preamps.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help. I have spoken to my dealer and asked him to let me know when he has a 282 traded in. When this happens he will let me know, demo at my home and set it up.
They have a 300 series demo with Naim in attendance coming up soon.
I am happy to wait.
I can’t recommend Tony at Basically Sound enough, I have purchased all my system through him, which Tony installed.
Once again thanks for the help.
Regards
Andy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.