282 > 252 or 552 to upgrade or not to

Peter just stop talking now! :rofl::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Subjectivity disclaimer: donā€™t trust my ears, trust yours.

Having got that out of the way. We visited the 202 a few times in the earlier years of our upgrade odyssey. Helen didnā€™t dislike it but didnā€™t jump at the prospect of owning one. I thought it was a rather monochromatic thing, all bass and treble without much textural filling. Not a bad amp, but at its price point, like the 282, easily beaten for less money by some of its competitors - according to my ears. Yours may vary.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard a 112 but I have heard a 152 at home for a month into a 500. At itā€™s price point itā€™s easily, to my ears, peerless. Better than the 202. Itā€™s coloured, sloppy, a bit brash, and the most fun Iā€™ve had at that price point. It just nails it. Timing, I expect. If the 152 is any kind of spiritual successor to the 112, then the 112 must be a very fine amp indeed.

I havenā€™t heard two Naim preamps that sound remotely the same, or the same but different. Some of them do have similarities in grip, timing, insight and musical communication. Some donā€™t. If there is such a thing as ā€œThe Naim Soundā€, which is it? They canā€™t all exhibit it.

112 = unknown. Probably very good for its price.
152 = Fun. Brash and sloppy yet incredibly capable and confident. The Jimmy Page of HiFi.
202 = Pointless. No offense to any 202 lovers - itā€™s all relative and subjective.

1 Like

Put a Powerline on your NAPSC and who needs a 552!? :joy:

Jokes aside just tried this and amazed this has made any difference whatsoever but it has!

3 Likes

Donno. Ainā€™t heard one. Just as well really.

282 < 252 < 552 < S1

• 282 : Harms the signal but you donā€™t notice, the musicā€™s so dynamic!

• 252 : Harms a tad less the signal, gives you the impression you hear music.

• 552 : Harms immensely less the signal, you actually hear music.

• S1 : The signal passes true, you thought you heard music beforeā€¦

ā€¦now you wonder, are my speakers up to the job? :thinking:

1 Like

I know opinions are divided on the power-amp side, but a 500 really is a great partner to a 552. I bought recently serviced 552/500 unDRed in early 2019 and havenā€™t looked back. I know everyone says the DR is worth it, but music is now so dynamic that I canā€™t see the point. My pair are near to being the first generation 500 and 552.

552 may have some warts (@Michaelb) but itā€™s still does more than enough.

Phil

In my opinion, 202 is one of the best value products in Naimā€™s history. 202/200 offers one of the most economical combo one can get to enjoy Naim. 282/252/552 are better for obvious reason. $$$$$$$$$$$

5 Likes

Musicians taking over your home - eating all the food, leaving a mess in the toilet, your beer & wine spilled on the carpet, the lead singer running off with your wife. You get the ideaā€¦

2 Likes

Are you still going to be referring to your 500 as ā€˜recently serviced 552/500ā€™ in 15 years time Phil? :smiley:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s rock n roll for yaā€¦

Think Iā€™ll steer well clear of the S1.

3 Likes

some of the comments here need to be put into context of the the speakers.

for a 552 to show itā€™s stuff, there has to be a speaker capable of that kind of bandwidth in the bass frequencies and that kind of ability is costing $$$$$$$

Weā€™ll see :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha! Didnā€™t think of that! I will have to be selective.

Phil

2 Likes

It takes time to come on song! Trouble is as you get into 80s you get forgetful.

Phil

1 Like

Fearful man! Think the other way around: enough female rockstars or classical pianists / violinist ā€¦

2 Likes

And just as it comes on song, itā€™s ready for another service! :rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™m suddenly thinking female groupiesā€¦ :wink:

Anyway, back on topic. :grinning:

Sorry Thomas, donā€™t understand what you mean? :thinking: ATB Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry for that. My English gets cryptic (which is an understatement for rusty) when Iā€™m tired. My daily language isnā€™t English.

If one wishes to hear all of what the Statement has to offer, a good pair of speakers is needed (in terms of dynamic extension, speed, precision and resolution).

Hi Thomas,
Last thing I would say about your English is rusty- your English is great! Is your daily French I wonder?
As for speakers we are lucky to both own speakers we are happy with and most importantly are working in our rooms :+1:t3: Best Peter

1 Like