282 > 252 or 552 to upgrade or not to

German I imagine…

Hi Peter,

My daily language has been French for a few years now. Unfortunately…

German and English, and a couple of other languages, were those I’ve grown with.

Indeed, speakers are such a delicate part of a system. Yours has gently entered the “dream system” realm :star_struck:

1 Like

It’s been French for quite a long time now, sadly…

I live in the french part of Switzerland. But I’d say the main language is indeed German (or, more precisely, a mix of nearly half a dozen of German dialects).

We have four official languages, but only three are actually used.

Come on, it could be worse! :flushed: :joy:

Never underestimate the complexity of the french language :joy:

While it may not be my mother tong, I believe I master it rather well, but I keep struggling with some obscure parts of its grammar. Not to mention the spelling… there are twelve spellings for the sound [ɛ] in french :roll_eyes: English is not bad either :sweat_smile:

For a 552 to show its stuff you essentially need a pair of speakers which work well in the listening room. Our 552, initially with a 300, drove the little Spendor S5e. The reason it got such a big and realistic, wide bandwidth sound out of the Spendors was because the speakers had been carefully chosen and positioned to play the room correctly.

1 Like

Dear Thomas, be careful of what you’re saying. :wink:
The fourth language is actually well used, even if only by few people.
MArco :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Right, and these few folks and their language and culture are amongst the most enjoyed Swiss particularities foreigners (and locals) seek during their holidays, or days off.

As for me, it is their mountains, especially the Bianco Grat, I enjoy the most.

1 Like

:+1: :grinning:
MArco :cowboy_hat_face:

282 hifi? Really? Then I just don’t know what that word means. Here the 282 is all music. I listen and don’t give a rats about soundstage, bass, midrange or whatever hifi-parameters there are. I sit for hours at end.

4 Likes

The best preamp is no preamp, every preamp will add something, colour it, or dilute something, the more stuff that the single has to go through, the more it can get altered.
I sometimes feel like trying just a passive preamp, one with a very good volume control and not much else, but these can sound soulless and maybe us naim users like a bit of colour added, call it naim sound.
For me the different naim preamps all have there own sound, having owned a few, my favourite probably was the 52, yes the 552 is better as far as details, but the blend that the 52 has, is quite special.
Out of the 282, 252, or 552, for me the 282 is probably the best one and more suited to more naim systems than the other 2, the 252 has more detail, but at the expense of smoothness and can sound a bit cold in some systems, especially if you have had the 282 for years, the 552, helps bring back that smoothness without losing any details, but it will highlight any short comings your system has, that the 282 wouldn’t show you.
Thats why a feel a good in serviced 52, should not be overlooked as it really is quite special and probably would work better in alot of systems, over a 552.
But it all depends on what you want and in what direction you hope to get to, if your end game is a 500dr amp, then straight away i would forget the rest and set your sights on a 552

5 Likes

My thoughts too.

Maybe that’s another reason I love my 252 so much.

I listen almost exclusively on low or very low volumes.

The 252/SC2 is a great step up in SQ from the 272/555DR.

(Although I do miss the excellent volume control of the 272).

1 Like

And it produces the best food :hot_face::scream:

The 252 can sound cold???!!!

Yes compared to the other 2, if cold is the best way to describe the difference that is

A 282 is better than a 552?

Wow!

No never said that if you read it correctly, a 282 in the right system is great and sometimes having a much more revealing preamp can upset the outcome, especially if you have system problems, the 282 as its not as revealing can help hide any problems

I was being mischievous, Dunc.

Apologies.

I have owned all three pre amps BTW.

You bad boy nigel lol

1 Like