282 > 252 or 552 to upgrade or not to

Thanks @SjMj, @Buryfc and @Thomas
Your words and @RackKit’s greatly reassure me I’ve not made a mistake in buying the 252 unheard.

UPC tried to deliver today but I was at work (aaargh), so they’re coming back in the morning - Iuckily I’d booked tomorrow off as that was the estimated delivery day, which will now give me a three day weekend to warm and set it up.
Can’t wait!

5 Likes

If the 252 doesn’t quite work for you, then try the SuperCap into a 282 as a mid-point upgrade.

Cheers @T-elmi - that’s what I had (282/SC2 non DR) - was trying out 2 HCDRs before I found the 252. Sounded great, but I could see where more control would be a good move, especially when I wound up the volume.

2 Likes

Enjoy today with your 252. It’s a wonderful pre.

G

1 Like

As much as I enjoyed my 282 I have found myself listening to (and enjoying) a wider variety of music since I replaced it with a 252. One thing I do find though is that at lower volumes the listening experience is more cerebral and the emotional impact switches on as the volume creeps up. Maybe that’s true of a lot of equipment but with the 252 I sense the moment arriving like flicking on a light switch, it’s more obvious and impactful. Generally speaking for me it’s just around 9pm on the volume dial. My room, speakers, ears etc.

4 Likes

I found the same thing with my 282, @marksnaim, but I thought it was down to my 805s, which some reviewers noted needed some volume to wake up and project. This was at 9ish, as you say.
I think the 250DR improved them a little in this respect.
It’ll be ineresting to see if the 252 wakes them any earlier!

2 Likes

Its 9o’clock with the 252 I have here, with my 250DR and Kudos Titan 606’s. It does depend on the record I’m playing or what I’m streaming though.

1 Like

My 252 puts a grin on my face every time I press ‘Play’. :grinning:

4 Likes

Exactly, @JimDog!
My SN3 gave me a broad smile, the 282 (to my surprise ) made my mouth fall open.
So I’m all in for the big grin…

Ooh, it’s just arrived. Includes a Burndy! I didn’t know that - superb!

6 Likes

Enjoy the comparison of your 282 and new 252! I guess a number of people here will soon look out for your 282 in the used market… :rofl:

3 Likes

Exciting times. Result about the Burndy! :grin:

1 Like

Whatever happens, don’t succumb to expectation bias! :grinning:

1 Like

@JimDog. LOL. Yeah…with my 282 I had little or indeed no idea vs my SN3 (an amp I thought was pretty great in the first place).
I’m not expecting the exactly same leap with the 252.

But… :wink:

Time for the hard bit, removing the gear and stripping and rebuilding the Fraim. Fortified with tea and toast, let the work begin… :muscle:

4 Likes

I’m waiting to receive a 252 to replace my 282 which will be paired with my SCDR+250DR and Titan 606. I hope they work well together!

1 Like

I think your going to love the 252. I have never understood it’s critics although I accept it is their valid opinion. I look forward to reading about your first impressions now you have had your cuppa! I came from an 82 which I loved, but the 252 is the real deal imho. Enjoy.

4 Likes

They do

1 Like

Well I’ve just purchased a new 282 mainly to fit and forget for 10-15 years.