282 etal a bit dated?

Interestingly when the Streamers were rationalised around the NDX2 and ND555 some asked as to why no NDS.

Sounds like a needless messing with proven pre-amps.

3 Likes

Wot Svetty said.

3 Likes

Dave is Chord’s flagship DAC - a rather wonderful one in my experience, which with inbuilt volume control low source impedance and high stability on the output Some people describe it as having an inbuilt preamp, though that is a bit of a misnomer) is eminently capable of driving power amps direct.

It was @opus who raised the question of a phono source (I guess using a phono amp into one of 282’s inputs however named).

1 Like

There’s a link plug. Comes free too. :yum:

Alexa control too, so we can bark orders at it.

Err, yes… but that doesnt do away with the NAPSC… :thinking:

The 282 - and the 82 - require the NAPSC to operate.

Get a 252 then, that doesn’t need a NAPSC.

3 Likes

“just like that”

2 Likes

Yes, correct. It’s the 102 that has the link plug. :zipper_mouth_face:

And… the 202… :see_no_evil:

What would be nice is a Naim PSU HiCap size that can power the 4x rails of the 282 and replace the NAPSC at half the price of the Supercap, I would buy one tomorrow.

1 Like

First off I did experience a huge uplift between the SuperNait preamp section and the 282. Greater detail/clarity and separation between the instruments along with the benefit of wonderful detail even when playing at low volume levels. A new/different experience when listening to the music.

I love the SN 2 but the 282 certainly demonstrated its worth, as it should considering the retail price of the 282 was $1800.00 higher. The SN 2 ($5,695.00) at time of purchase and the current price of NAC 282 is ($7,495) today and ($7,995) at the time I purchased the SN2.

I am unsure what you are asking here so not to sure how to respond.

1 Like

I am not arguing! I like the Naim sound, having owned 202, 282 and 252. I was surmising that having a lot of illuminated push buttons was perhaps not the cheapest way of providing the required functionality, much of which I never used. Regardless, I have moved on to a sound I now prefer. This might be an age thing, who knows. Each to his own.

I think he means the law of diminishing returns Seakayaker…

Yes a complex subject, and did not understand how it applied to the comparison in sound between a SN2 and 282.

…last time I looked at or read/wrote on an economic theory was in college and that was decades ago.

Thank you - that’s helpful!

Preamp design is pretty much an established science. The 282 was built to a price point and it is unlikely there will be much if any trickle down applications from the Statement to the inevitable 282/252/552 replacements. The technical shortcomings of the 282 are well known as are the fixes…after which you would get…a 252!

As far as ‘dated’, you have not heard a 1974 era dual-railed NAC12 juiced with a Supercap.

Maybe with the resurgence of vinyl, preamps lacking a built-in phono stage will be considered ‘dated’. I can almost see the words ‘analog-ready’ emblazoned on the facias of 2023 models like the words ‘digital-ready’ found their way to so many products in the early 1990s.

2 Likes

Thanks seakayaker, you did perfectly.
I meant the law of diminutive returns and you clarified that the return is huge and not diminutive at all.
What I m searching is a bigger dynamic especially at low volume levels and a bigger soundstage and I feel that this is what you found adding 282 preamp

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.