282 etal a bit dated?

For useless (for me) recording :joy:

Perhaps, but not useless for everyone.

1 Like

Yes exactly … the integrates are fun … allow to play with caps :slight_smile: … everything else is to involved (for me).

That much is obvious.

Like I said, you have odd priorities.

You have to be kidding me. I mean, that’s fine if it is what you want, but maybe then don’t post your wisdoms on the 252?

4 Likes

Yes, to each their own. Mercedes also don’t try to build BMWs just because there are BMW buyers out there, because they would lose the Mercedes buyers. Same here. I like the Naim sound first and foremost, and I don’t mind the boxes that are the result (in fact I quite like them).

But I notice that you suddenly changed your argument, at first it was the supposed cost of inputs. (Which frankly makes no difference whether you have separate buttons or a knob with several positions, which is what nearly every preamp or integrated has). Would have been nice to acknowledge that you are changing your argument.

I connect my Headline to socket 6…

works for me

1 Like

Separate record out selection for my headphones would be important to me if I was going to try and link my main system and AV again.
I would love updated pre-amps with reduced gain and balanced out. The new Atom HE shows the way.

1 Like

How about getting rid of the Napsc and reworking the Hicap , so the digital connection feeds straight into that instead. In a similar arrangement to the power supplies for the 252/ 552.

Helps to reduce box count as well.

2 Likes

I think Not having any Analog Inputs would be very impractical. Where would I plug in my Dave, or R to R , Tuner , phono ?

Some people might prefer a touch screen that can hide unused facilities. The reality would be less useable than the buttons, few bother with the streamer screens and their life is limited but apparently the market demands that they have them.

The NAPSC is just not an issue for me it just sits hidden away under the rack. Out of sight out of mind.

2 Likes

@seakayaker did you experience a huge uplift between supernait and 282 or newly it was applied the diminituve return law?

Tongue firmly in cheek…Ah, but it would be the modern way: Just as tge 282 is dated by having the inputs, the sources are dated. Change tuner for internet radio, R to R for a hard disk recorder, turntable for obe with a digital output. Dave should be inside the digital preamp. No, wait, Dave is the digital preamp, assuming sufficient inputs.

I’m feeling a bit lacking in knowledge…

• What is Dave?
  • I didn’t think the 282 had a phono input?

It’s got 2 configurable RCA inputs. Configurable as in you get to choose to use RCA of din. I use a pair of RCA fed from the Trichord Diablo phono stage.
Do yes. I’d like to change my aux2 button for phono.

@VintageMike

3 Likes

Labels on inputs are just for convenience. It doesn’t have a dac either but convention expects inputs for digital sources labelled CD, streamer, etc, even though they are just more analogue line level inputs so assume an upstream dac. Might as well apply the same logic to phono.

That said, I don’t really see the point of labelled inputs these days. You can’t read them without squinting into the infinite darkness of the pretty green light and I just tell my wife & kids that the button at the far right is for playing records and the one next to it is for the streamer.

1 Like

My wife just uses the Naim app and wouldn’t even know which box did what in which room, let alone what the knobs and buttons do.

1 Like

Yes. I think this path sounds right. The classic pre/power amp is is overdue for a refresh. My thoughts would be a consolidation of 4 (202/282/252/552) categories into 2-3 max, updated vol control, simplification of inputs/outputs as well as redesign of power supply to incorporate power saving requirements.

5 Likes

Sounds eminently sensible - hopefully someone from naim will also be reading this